Wawanesa Mutual

Updated February 11, 2015
Updated February 11, 2015
3.3

Ken E. McCrea

Positive experience. Somewhat old-fashioned.

I have been working at Wawanesa Mutual

Pros

Relatively stress-free and minimal micro-managing. Supervisors seem to trust their adjusters and always willing to assist.

Cons

Lower pay than others. Tough to advance to other departments and/or positions unless someone leaves, retires, transfers or get promoted.

Bring back sick day benefits as the current PTO system is not fair to employees with families.

Discouraging and disappointing

Current Employee - Rep in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Rep in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wawanesa Mutual

Pros

Profit sharing is the only thing to look forward to.

Cons

No longer family friendly due to new PTO system. Hard to climb up in position due to favoritism by management/supervisors

Be fair to those who work hard and truly deserve promotion or advancement. Live up to your missions and values.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to list in this section. I did not learn anything nor did I enjoy my time while employed! The job was very unchallenging, repetitive, and mundane!

Cons

Favoritism is huge. No streamlined training. It's a "learn as you go system". Didn't get paid for studying to get licensed. Asked to study on my own time for CE credits. No opportunity for advancement.

Streamline training so everyone is on the same page as to what the job expectations are. Pay your employes for studying for the job they need to do. Stop playing favorites. Offer bonuses for sales.

AMAZING company! They really care about their employees.

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really good pay, good environment, bonuses, company promotes from within.

Cons

Some managers can be a pain.

Easy going

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wawanesa Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, no pressure, good people. This company cares about employees and it shows. If you show up and od your job you will be treated well. Very social culture, everyone is super friendly.

Cons

Pay is not the highest but if you're at the point where you value other things more, then it isn't an issue. There's a lot of complainers here, employees that need to work elsewhere for a while to see how good they have it.

Upgrade systems. Get rid of all the paper.

Smart People / Stupid System

Former Employee - Inside Liability in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Liability in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are good, smarter than at other carriers I've been. Company tries harder to keep morale high. Good benefits from what I've been told. It's hard to slack off which overall makes everyone a better employee.

Cons

I worked here as a temp. After a while, i realized I didn't want to stay. Cost of living in San Diego with the hourly rate I was making is not acceptable. The software they use is so dated. The claim system is not user friendly. The email...its like Outlook from ten years ago.

Way too paper based. Company protocol requires alot more add'l unnecessary work. Common sense is not used here. They want you to write down everything always then do it twice.

If you call out sick, you still get work. I don't understand the logic for "good customer service" when you are stacking work onto someone who instantly gets it one day later.

Also, the parking lot policy is a joke. "Invited" to use the parking lot after a year. Seriously? Park on the street...higher chance of getting hit. No way they'd pay for my deductible.

Biggest grip, ALOT of nepotism. One of the key reasons why I never wanted to stick around. That and I was told it would take at least 5 years to get promoted.

need more streamline rules. Every manager has a set way of doing things. Mixing managers with employees who don't align creates tension. If you want to switch managers around, switch the employees as well.

Unscrupulous

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None, none, none, none, none

Cons

Lower than industry standard pay, Unscrupulous HR department, Shady payroll practices, Shady vacation time practices.

Get rid of your HR director and hire someone who knows what they are doing and will do the job in an honest manner. Pay back the payroll that was stolen from each employee. Reorganize the vacation scheduling process so that people can take more than three days in a row and can take vacation days that connect to a weekend. Your employee practices are shameful.

Working for Wawanesa

Former Employee - Commercial Underwriting Support in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial Underwriting Support in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is employee centered, very positive environment, CEO is very kind and comes down from his office to check his employees level of well being

Cons

Very strict about times clocking in and out.

Keep on doing what you do! Great company to work for!

Wawanesa is a great company to work for

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, fun people to work with, not micromanaged

Cons

Newer system has lots of problems which inhibits daily tasks.

Have a protocol for each department and have each supervisor follow it so there isn't so much confusion. Also make sure each employee has access to the protocols so everybody is on the same page.

Unprofessional yet high-pressure atmosphere

Former Employee - Multiple in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Multiple in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Potential for upward job mobility/promotions; excellent benefits; generous vacation time; mostly nice though often stressed coworkers.

Cons

An unusually high amount of nepotism in both hiring and specifically in promotions and management positions. Friends and close relatives typically have priority despite it being a large office of 500+ employees. Pay grade is also significantly below industry standards for insurance companies, yet employees are frequently reminded how lucky they are to work at such a great company.

Emphasize hard work over personal relationships when deciding on promotions and raises, to boost employee morale.

Wawanesa Mutual Photos