Wawanesa Mutual

Easy going

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, no pressure, good people. This company cares about employees and it shows. If you show up and od your job you will be treated well. Very social culture, everyone is super friendly.

Cons

Pay is not the highest but if you're at the point where you value other things more, then it isn't an issue. There's a lot of complainers here, employees that need to work elsewhere for a while to see how good they have it.

Upgrade systems. Get rid of all the paper.

Smart People / Stupid System

Former Employee - Inside Liability  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Liability in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are good, smarter than at other carriers I've been. Company tries harder to keep morale high. Good benefits from what I've been told. It's hard to slack off which overall makes everyone a better employee.

Cons

I worked here as a temp. After a while, i realized I didn't want to stay. Cost of living in San Diego with the hourly rate I was making is not acceptable. The software they use is so dated. The claim system is not user friendly. The email...its like Outlook from ten years ago.

Way too paper based. Company protocol requires alot more add'l unnecessary work. Common sense is not used here. They want you to write down everything always then do it twice.

If you call out sick, you still get work. I don't understand the logic for "good customer service" when you are stacking work onto someone who instantly gets it one day later.

Also, the parking lot policy is a joke. "Invited" to use the parking lot after a year. Seriously? Park on the street...higher chance of getting hit. No way they'd pay for my deductible.

Biggest grip, ALOT of nepotism. One of the key reasons why I never wanted to stick around. That and I was told it would take at least 5 years to get promoted.

need more streamline rules. Every manager has a set way of doing things. Mixing managers with employees who don't align creates tension. If you want to switch managers around, switch the employees as well.

Unscrupulous

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

None, none, none, none, none

Cons

Lower than industry standard pay, Unscrupulous HR department, Shady payroll practices, Shady vacation time practices.

Get rid of your HR director and hire someone who knows what they are doing and will do the job in an honest manner. Pay back the payroll that was stolen from each employee. Reorganize the vacation scheduling process so that people can take more than three days in a row and can take vacation days that connect to a weekend. Your employee practices are shameful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for Wawanesa

Former Employee - Commercial Underwriting Support  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial Underwriting Support in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is employee centered, very positive environment, CEO is very kind and comes down from his office to check his employees level of well being

Cons

Very strict about times clocking in and out.

Keep on doing what you do! Great company to work for!

Wawanesa is a great company to work for

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, fun people to work with, not micromanaged

Cons

Newer system has lots of problems which inhibits daily tasks.

Have a protocol for each department and have each supervisor follow it so there isn't so much confusion. Also make sure each employee has access to the protocols so everybody is on the same page.

Unprofessional yet high-pressure atmosphere

Former Employee - Multiple  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Multiple in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Potential for upward job mobility/promotions; excellent benefits; generous vacation time; mostly nice though often stressed coworkers.

Cons

An unusually high amount of nepotism in both hiring and specifically in promotions and management positions. Friends and close relatives typically have priority despite it being a large office of 500+ employees. Pay grade is also significantly below industry standards for insurance companies, yet employees are frequently reminded how lucky they are to work at such a great company.

Emphasize hard work over personal relationships when deciding on promotions and raises, to boost employee morale.

Changes needed

Former Employee - Personal Line Underwriter  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Personal Line Underwriter in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small company, if you need to take time off, they will let you work your lunches to make up for the time you take off. Good company if you like monotony

Cons

Low salaries, not consistent in the way things are done. Promotions are not based on merit, but on who you are. Outdated system. Still using DOS based programs. Provide consistent training.

Promote based on merit and not who you are. Raise starting wages.

Great job

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoy my job and look forward to coming to work each day. The benefits are very good and workplace is also very good Management treat me very well and are very compassionate towards all employees. My job allows me the freedom to do my own thing as long as the work gets done quickly and properly.

Cons

One of the biggest negatives of working here is the poor starting wage and the overall wage scale, being one of the lowest paying in the industry.We have lost way to many good people to other companies due to low wages. There also isn't any place to advance or further your career with this company. Company vehicles are also an issue ,with vehicles not being suitable for conditions we have to drive in.

Listen to staff you already have ,do something about wage scale and keep good employees from leaving.

Very slow to change. The next blockbuster perhaps?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has a very good pension plan.

Cons

Below industry standard wage. Very odd promotion strategies - based on what? Not flexible at all. Very micro managing. Very old fashioned. Poor training. Competetion amongst staff. Un-organized. When you get a leadership position you are untouchable even if you have no people skills. People have mentioned what supervisors are doing on their exit interview over and over when they leave but nothing is done. High stress. Have to have a really good reason to call in sick.

Look at what other companies are doing and get with the 21st century.

Earning trust with Insured's, Brokers and employees

Current Employee - Claims Assistant II  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Claims Assistant II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Wawanesa Mutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team atmosphere is refreshing. They often promote from within the company and they encourage staff to take courses to better understand the Insurance Industry and to get they CIP designation.

Cons

Insurance is very busy and your customers never call you because they're having a good day.

If you going to replace equipment such as printers...make sure it makes our jobs easier not more difficult.

Worked for Wawanesa Mutual? Contribute to the Community!