Wayfair

Updated February 26, 2015
3.3

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

Pros
  • We are all about our work/ life balance and being rewarded for high performance (in 32 reviews)

• They offer free snacks, the work is easy enough, and I liked my co-workers on my team (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The first big con of Wayfair is the pitiful salaries they offer most entry level hires (in 27 reviews)

• They hire kids right out of school for customer service and pay them pennies (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

257 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I had an excellent experience at Wayfair filled with professional development, promotion, and new learning opportunities

Former Employee - Special Projects Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Special Projects Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wayfair takes excellent care of its employees--great benefits and lots of fun company events to build relationships with coworkers.
    Personal growth opportunities run high and the entrepreneurial vibe runs high

Cons

Sometimes the growing pains associated with rapid growth lead to long working hours and minor frustrations, but overall the organization is supporting forward movement very effectively.

Fun and easy

Current Employee - Catalog Improvement Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Catalog Improvement Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mostly young educated employees, very diverse. They throw benefits at us and take us out for drinks almost a little too much. Lots of fraternizing.

Cons

The higher ups can be a little humorless, but that's corporate. Pay could be better, but mostly because we're in Boston and the standard of living is unreasonable.

Either pay us more or give us more stock. Otherwise, you guys are doing alright.

Great place to work and grow

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

- Fast paced
    - Great leadership
    - Fun environment

Cons

Not everyone can work in a fast paced company

Keep up the great job

Great Place to Gain Experience

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked at Wayfair for about a year as a marketing associate. I enjoyed the people on my team and developed really strong working relationships. They became friends outside of work, too. A lot of us were early in our marketing careers, and we helped each other grow and learn. I gained a lot of digital marketing skills that have proven to be invaluable. There were lots of opportunities to learn about how different departments operated.

The casual dress code, central location, and free snacks didn't hurt either! Benefits were also excellent. And it's certainly a great company to have on your resume.

Cons

I learned a lot in a short time, but after a few months, I wasn't feeling challenged, and my work felt monotonous. Compensation was low. I wasn't a fan of the open office environment, although I know that's pretty commonplace these days.

I left for a more challenging role with a much better salary, but my experience at Wayfair helped me land that role, and I'm happy I had the opportunity to work at Wayfair.

Had promise, but disappointed

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Super intelligent people and good social culture
    - Good benefits
    - Lots of ownership potential and ability to move up in the organization if you stick it out
    - Great place to enhance analytical and marketing skillsets and get exposure to growing ecommerce company

Cons

- Stress levels on my team were very high and work/life balance promise didn't seem genuine in practice
    - Compensation is below average and can be stingy on perks
    - Micromanagement can be demotivating, but varies greatly across teams and managers
    - Young culture and great for those rising up from entry level, but if you're coming from the outside with advanced degrees or more experience, don't expect to be valued or rewarded for it

Focus on retention - people are burning out and some members of senior management are doing a poor job at supporting growth while keeping people motivating.

Recommended.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair

Pros

Laid-back environment, many of the other engineers are quite talented.

Managers seemed to be hit & miss -- mine was astoundingly excellent but friends I had there would often complain about theirs.

Great work-life balance. Only had to stay late once or twice in a year.

Plus it's right within walking distance of a ton of good restaurants and you can go out whenever for food....nobody's staring over your shoulder.

Cons

There are a few people who are a bit difficult to get along with, but that's true of anywhere. Some of the managers are a littttttle incompetent, so you might be very happy or very frustrated depending what team you're on.

Great first job—not a lot of long term opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If this is your first job or if you're trying to break into a new field, Wayfair is fantastic. The company has a great community feel, they encourage social activity between coworkers, and it gives you that all important first line on your resume. It paid me barely anything but at the time, I was just happy to finally have a job in my chosen field—the frequent happy hours and free drinks didn't hurt either.

Cons

During my interview, it was made clear that they don't expect people to stay for more of a year or two. This could be a reason for their very low pay. I saw people move all over the company and work I different roles that way, but if you like your department and want to move up within it, space is limited.

Understand that some employees would like to be in it for the long haul and give them more to do. After a year, my entire department expressed concern about being bored/wanting to take on more tasks. It became increasingly clear from management that we'd simply stayed too long and we all quit within 6 months.

Great atmosphere, pay not good.

Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Fun people, easy going atmosphere. Great work events and great location. Lots of opportunity but if you aren't on the engineering side of things or have been there for years you won't get paid. Great place to work if you just graduated.

Cons

Pay is not good. Lots of opportunity to move up, but even when moving up the pay will not increase by much. Tough to live in the area given the amount they pay.

Pay your employees.

Lack of leadership, training, vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My colleagues are smart and hard-working. The company is willing to try new things on the platform and is data driven.

Cons

The pay is embarrassing low, there is a lack of mentors, onboarding/training for new employees, and an overwhelmingly younger culture with no management experience. I could see this being a decent experience for students right out of college, but not for experienced professionals. Management is focused on the short-term with little long-term strategic vision. This coupled with inefficient processes lead to constantly putting out fires, being reactive, and poor customer experience on the platform.

Finally, I found it difficult to form close friendships with co-workers as the company is a revolving door. Somewhere in the hiring process expectations are not being set appropriately. Advice to candidates: talk to people who've left the company to find out why, ask tough questions about your role and manager expectations in the interview process, really listen to the responses, and ask for a fair salary that values your talent and expected contribution to the company appropriately.

Value your employees and your customers

Fun, fair company to work for. Upward mobility possible if you work hard for it. Very metrics driven work environment

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people
    Good managers
    Lots of snacks
    Cool office
    Good location
    Upward mobility potential
    Lots of performance feedback

Cons

Management focuses way too much and strict metrics, they do not take any gray area into account. If you can't achieve certain metrics you're let go