Wayfair

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah

Niraj Shah

207 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Experience

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros- Most people at Wayfair are recent college grads
    - Fun people to hang out with
    - Headquarter is located in Back Bay, heart of Boston
    - Relaxing working environment, although it can be stressful at times
    - New office has nice chairs and desks that can go up and down!!
    - Good learning experience for summer engineering internship

Cons- Low salary, which you would hear some full-time employee complain during lunch break
    - Projects are web/e-commerce related, so it can be boring and repetitive

If you must

Marketing Entry Level (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFriendly co-workers in a constantly growing company. The environment is fun and collegial, with opportunities to learn a growing market. Wayfair provides snacks and monthly nights out with your work team, which is fun, as well as bi-annual parties.

ConsVery low pay by comparison to other, similar companies. Advancement seems arbitrary, based more on relationship with middle-management than on actual merit, which can be frustrating.

Fine place for an internship, but don't think I would return

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsEmphasis on a fun and community oriented company culture, great coworkers, exposure to different departments, enthusiastic CEOs

ConsWork is extremely repetitive and boring

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsYoung talented people work at this company. Co-workers are great.

ConsLow salary to start and it does NOT get better. It is hard to live off of a Wayfair salary and I do not see how they get away with this. In my experience, they do not value their employees. I worked in two different departments and in both departments it was explained to me that I was a replaceable employee. Wayfair has an extremely high turnover rate which is an awful way to run a company. Do not work at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn certain departments upper management does not respect their employees. Every day at 5PM my manager would yell (raise his voice) at me about something he thought I was wrong about, and after 15 minutes he would realize I was right and he would be wrong. A previous manager was overworked to the point that he did not speak to me for 3 weeks. His job had nothing to do with the work that I was doing. Simply awful.

Love working with people who care

Boston, MA

ProsWayfair has a really vibrant and fun work environment. We are all about our work/ life balance and being rewarded for high performance. The relationships you will make when joining a team is like no other and you will love working with smart passionate people. Great for smart, hard working people that want to celebrate their individual contributions within a team. Always opportunity to grow and learn!

ConsConference room space is minimal but getting better !

Advice to Senior ManagementI love working with all senior management. They are all great people who are willing to go the extra mile to get things done. I work in HR/Recruiting and when I have a really great candidate - I know they are willing to pay for greatness.

Low pay, little recognition, screwed over by promotion policy

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsSmart people who are sympathetic to the conditions, a really great manager (for my last few months), nice opportunities for team bonding if you have a team who will consider spending pod outing money for something other than getting smashed.

ConsPay. Pay. Pay. And to everyone reviewing saying that something will be done about the dismal paycheck prospects soon, you must be new to the company or have been hit in the head by a fake Herman Miller chair. This is their business model. They keep the people who have drank the Kool Aid, and the rest are replaceable as needed. No one cares about you or your work, and if you work hard you'll get nowhere, if you don't you'll get nowhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better managers. Find a way to promote from within without every job requiring management of a team; there are smart people who aren't cut out to manage. Find a job path for them. RAISE THE DAMN SALARIES. Don't insult your staff by hiring outside talent and paying them 25% more than the people who have worked their way up for 5 years. They're going to leave. Stop promoting a college frat atmosphere.

Best for fast movers

Boston, MA

ProsThis is the kind of place that is well suited for those that crave immediate impact. They value those that can get things done quickly, even if it's not perfect. The mantra is Facebook-esque: Move fast and break things. There is a high tolerance for mistakes, but low tolerance for slowness.

This is also the kind of place where analysts have a leg up. Those that move up fastest seem to be some combination of fast moving and smart analyst.

ConsNot the most ideal for those that like to pontificate, ponder, or theorize. This company make decisions quickly and you don't want to be the bottleneck. Also not the best place for those that aren't looking to advance and grow. The company culture works best for ambitious, fast, and analytical types.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a better environment for those of us that actually want to base their careers on a steady job here.

Good company

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

Proslaid back environment, good place to start your career.

ConsThe compensation was not very competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering raise the pay for talent people.

Good People, AWFUL pay.

Business Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGood place to make friends. Terrible place to make money.

Consmundane work for very little pay. Disregard anything they say about "Commission"

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY YOUR TALENT. There are too many other great companies to work for to keep people with snacks and parties. Pay me more and I'll throw my own party.

Move fast with no direction or destination

Engineer II (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsAmazing people. Wayfair does an amazing job hiring smart and fun people. You will also get to work with lots of technology very quickly that looks great on your resume.

ConsManagement does not know about management. Lower levels have clear paths of professional development but the more senior you get (level 2 up) the more quickly those paths vanish. They DO NOT negotiate and pay is well below industry. Internal promotions happen but rarely off cycle or before 1 year is up and never quite get to the same level as those hired externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat engineers don't make great managers.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wayfair reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah. All 207 reviews posted anonymously by Wayfair employees.