Wayfair Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
3.1

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

Pros
  • We are all about our work/ life balance and being rewarded for high performance (in 28 reviews)

• They offer free snacks, the work is easy enough, and I liked my co-workers on my team (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no way to have a career here if you start in an entry level position (in 25 reviews)

• After leaving customer service for a "promotion" this reviewer took a pay cut of about (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning opportunity as a Software Intern

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was lucky enough fall under a good team manager and was given projects that directly impacted the backend process. Was given complete ownership of the project and mentored well to implement a good design. Extremely flexible working hours, but could depend on the team. Teams are really friendly and collaborative. Great work culture.

Cons

Could have more managers to handle smaller teams.

Just what I mentioned in the cons, but otherwise doing a great job.

A great place to learn and develop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time

Pros

fast paced, lots of ownership, competitive, hands on learning, concerted training and professional development young, camaraderie, great location, good benefits - subsidized gym membership, good 401k matching plan, etc.

Cons

work is never done, compensation could be better, competitive, must fight hard for minimal promotion/raise, mix of professional and too relaxed in attitude and appearance

A good place to start

Former Employee - Merchandising Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Merchandising Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Good environment to gain experience
    -Open floor plan
    -Team outings
    -Benefits and generous time off
    -Coffee and free snacks

Cons

-Little opportunity for advancement
    -Low salary compared to other entry level jobs and the overall Boston metro area

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Relaxed

Current Employee - Merchandising Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Snack
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Young co-workers
    easy dress code
    easy internal hiring process

Cons

not enough pay
    not enough advancement

- I have applied and went for a few internal interviews for different roles. I found out I didn't get the position with just the same written script email as all the external interviewers get (extremely vague). I thought since I was an internal employee I would get a little bit more in depth explanation of why.
    - I truly think I would of had a better experience if HR didn't just send me the same script everyone gets. If they took 2 more minutes to write a personal email saying thank you, I would have been greatly appreciated and I would not have been annoyed that I wasted an hour of my day.

Very good working environment

I worked at Wayfair as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very relaxing working environment
    good benefits

Cons

can't think of any yet

Good spot to start after college

Former Employee - Category Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Category Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly work environment, good location, solid leadership, travel opportunities.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to competitors and other businesses in Boston. This seems to result in high turnover of employees.

Keep doing what you're doing but maybe bump pay a bit to be more on track with your competitors.

Great Place.

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly environment. Good place to learn a lot.

Cons

I had a pretty good time as an intern. Work was challenging sometimes but fun.

Great place for an internship

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Smart engineers
    Company culture is excellent
    Good pay for an intern
    Events were fun

Cons

Free snacks are unhealthy
    Did not get to work with other teams

Did not get to work with people higher up.
    Immediate manager was helpful

You're just another number

Former Employee - Email Sales and Service Consultant  in  Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Email Sales and Service Consultant in Ogden, UT

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide oatmeal, pop tarts, and snacks in the break room. Sometimes the management team will cook soup or nachos for everyone to eat on holidays or just because. They do quarterly pod outings which is an outing your team chooses to do and you each get $20.00 to spend of Wayfair's money. They have good benefits that start the day of your training. You will meet really nice people there and make everlasting friendships. Most of the managers are really nice and motivating.

Cons

The pay is not good for the workload they give you, and you're lucky if you even bonus. They make it very hard for anyone to bonus, and some of the bonus metrics are unfair and out of your control. If a customer writes in a bunch of questions about a product, it will effect your bonus even though you can't control what they do. If you show up to work late or leave early more than twice a month, you lose your entire bonus for the month. Even if there are computer issues, or your tire goes flat-you will lose that bonus.

If you're hired on to do email only, don't be fooled. You will do emails, AND 2-3 hours of phone shifts everyday. They do not give you bonus for the sales you make on the phones, and they wont pay you $1.00 more an hour to take service calls even though service employees make $1.00 more an hour than everyone else.

You're just another number to them. They don't care that you have a family and kids to support. They don't care if you have an emergency and need to leave work early or take the day off. There are no exceptions to the company policies. Even if your significant other passes away, they expect you to come to work 3 days later or have the possibility of getting canned.

Lastly, if you give your 2 weeks notice, and you leave on the 1st of the month, they WILL take away your bonus you worked hard for the month before. i have seen it plenty of times where the employee will leave the first of the month and they lost their bonus they made the month before.

Management doesn't really have a say in anything. They don't do your scheduling, they don't have a say in requesting they don't score you bonus metrics. They are simply there to enforce the rules upper management makes, and to make sure you're doing your work. i had a great manager, and have no complaints.

Uncreative, frustrating work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is decent. Hours are flexible and people can easily work from home if they can't make it into the office for any reason. Projects are reasonable and seldom require extra hours. There is an engineering on-call rotation so people are only contacted off-hours when it's their turn. Coworkers are cool and fun to be around.

The overall quality of the engineering staff is improving and this is driving a shift toward better practices and tools. The company offers significant equity to engineers, which may or may not turn out to be worth a lot after it goes public.

If you love purple, this is the place for you.

Cons

Wayfair's ecommerce engine is a hard-to-maintain agglomeration of half-baked features stuck together with chewing gum. Code quality is pretty bad and there are no department-wide initiatives to improve it. The focus is on adding new features as fast as possible, the goal often being to make the site look and work like Amazon (this is openly admitted). In general minimal time is alloted for improving architecture and performance until things get so bad it's an emergency.

Churning out code like this worked great when Wayfair was tiny but the company is now large and complex enough that the legacy codebase has become an impediment to progress, and management's attitude towards software engineering is an impediment to improving the codebase. Many top people do not have formal training in software management and/or have only ever worked at Wayfair and are not acquainted with modern practices in the field. They are perfectly nice and well-intentioned but don't "get" how to build great software.

So, as a Wayfair software engineer you will work with bright, creative coders all working on the dull task of fixing your predecessors' follies, or rushing to hack together new features with little planning, against your better judgment, because yes, this has to go out tomorrow. Add to that continual production breakage and you'll see that doing this kind of interruption-driven development month after month gets pretty frustrating.

Did I mention salaries are below industry standards? Also, free cookies and Doritos do not count as awesome perks.

Talk to engineers about how practices can be improved. Many are conscious of the problems and would love to participate in the solution.

It's really expensive and laborious to onboard people and train them in the intricacies of our systems. This happens continually as people leave for greener pastures. Solution: increase compensation.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!