Wayfair

Wayfair Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah

Niraj Shah

Pros
  • We are all about our work/ life balance and being rewarded for high performance(in 27 reviews)

• They offer free snacks, the work is easy enough, and I liked my co-workers on my team(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no way to have a career here if you start in an entry level position(in 25 reviews)

• After leaving customer service for a "promotion" this reviewer took a pay cut of about(in 22 reviews)

Great place to work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood people. Fun atmosphere. Growing company with a lot of opportunity. Wayfair is already bigger than most people know, and has a chance to be an absolute behemoth in the ecommerce world.

ConsThey have adopted a somewhat snooty attitude regarding colleges, so it's tough to get an entry level interview without an ivy league degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are smart people at colleges besides Dartmouth and MIT.

Positive, encouraging company culture with a focus on career development

ProsWayfair is a young, fresh company with a fantastic work/life balance. Great perks like discounted gym memberships & commuting passes, free snacks, yoga at lunchtime, etc. Great management, highly skilled and motivated people are the leaders at every level. Many opportunities for career development & training!

ConsGiven the size of the company, it can sometimes feel like you're just another number, but I think they try their best to keep a small team atmosphere as much as possible. Compensation is okay but not great given the cost of living in Boston. I think we'd retain more talent if we offered better salaries.

Good Experience

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Most people at Wayfair are recent college grads
    - Fun people to hang out with
    - Headquarter is located in Back Bay, heart of Boston
    - Relaxing working environment, although it can be stressful at times
    - New office has nice chairs and desks that can go up and down!!
    - Good learning experience for summer engineering internship

Cons- Low salary, which you would hear some full-time employee complain during lunch break
    - Projects are web/e-commerce related, so it can be boring and repetitive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty cool coworkers, but expanding too fast to have good management

QA Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMoments of a start-up vibe, despite the fact that they're pretty well-established. They seem to focus on social events outside of work, which is nice. They also seem to like to promote from within.

ConsAs a temp, they admittedly will keep you on forever if they could, without bringing you to full-time, by extending and re-extending your temp contract instead of just hiring them full-time with benefits. Meanwhile, they'll recruit all over Boston at colleges and career fairs looking for new hires, and overlook the temps that are already reporting to work every morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe carelessness of choosing managers is giving you a bad reputation with the newest hires. And with a poor manager, no direction or advice for long-term employment prospects, and average pay, I did not hesitate to move on to a better offer. The company culture is great, but it should be the cherry on top, not the foundation. A free happy-hour drink every other month was not enough to keep me on.

Great place to build your resume

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly work environment, excellent work-life balance (no nights/weekends - for now)

ConsSalaries and bonuses are below average for Boston area and the company is bleeding talent because of it. This company will likely go public very soon so I would expect quite a bit of consolidation, lay-offs, and restructuring, and potentially higher pay for those remaining. Everything is a "pilot" or "test" and so the full commitment of resources and support almost always translates to failure (from what I saw).

Advice to Senior ManagementPay fair wages for the Boston area.

Bad engineering experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Awesome colleagues
    - Interesting user-facing projects used by millions (if you're lucky in your assignemnet)
    - Diverse tech stack with cool technologies

ConsMy overwhelming impression is that Wayfair commoditizes engineers and treats them like an annoying expense rather than an asset.
    - Compensation is like 20% below industry standards.
    - "Perks" are mostly lame and not worth much compared to other places: free snack food while other companies have a nice lunch onsite, pretax purchase of commuter passes (which costs Wayfair nothing) while others pay the entire price, you can drink beer in the office but only if you buy it yourself
    - You will fight tooth and nail for the tools you need to do your job: Want a laptop? No way, too expensive, so forget about working away from your desk. Need a license for a piece of commercial software? You'll be asked to use the crappy freeware alternative. Engineers often end up paying for necessary stuff out of pocket
    - Expect to spend a lot of your time doing bug maintenance on the badly architected and unstable tech stack. You will likely be required to participate in an on-call rotation to deal with downtime, which is terrible work/life balance

Salary is insulting...to everyone except an intern

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat working environment. Co-workers are always friendly and willing to help. Constantly growing company

ConsFor a company being based in the city of Boston, the salary structure does not compensate for the cost of living. It is almost impossible to live comfortably. Being out of college for years, I made the transition to Wayfair for the start-up feel and the work environment. I made more working full time without a college degree than I did at Wayfair. The commission structure that they offer is in no way a motivation to sell more. The structure is so complex that it almost seems they do this to confuse employees. For the amount they pay, it could be simpler. I know that they use the free snacks and company events as a marketing tool when interviewing, but they should be cutting those and paying people more. Turnover might just shrink if this happened.

Started off great as an entry-level job, then got worse and worse

Marketing Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYes, the work-live balance at Wayfair is great, no one expects you to work more than your 8 hours (and you wouldn't want to do more since overtime is not compensated). If you get there at 8, you're out by 5 without having to worry about work till 8am the next day.
    The company also promotes a very relaxed atmosphere, and I enjoyed being able to wear jeans and flip-flops, etc.
    The fringe benefits are also decent. I really love having subsidized membership for different gyms, the offerings of free lunch-time yoga, pilates and other things.
    I must say I do appreciate Wayfair's willingness to hire unexperienced people straight out of school and giving them the chance to learn things and gain work experience that at least looks good on a resume.

ConsThe pay is really low, especially for a city like Boston. Many of my coworkers have second jobs to make ends meet and make the monthly rent. Other firms in the area pay significantly better. I would have preferred to do without the free snacks (junk, mostly) and taken the cash to buy my own snacks. The biggest joke was that for no discernible reason was my starting salary higher than that of my peers who were hired a few months later. Recently the starting salary for that same position was raised a little bit again. How is this fair (lucky for me, I guess, but horrible for my colleagues).
    While the work atmosphere is really relaxed, it is also a lot like college. Many young people, fresh out of school who think they're absolute hotshots and make decisions that make no sense whatsoever. People also don't really talk with each other, other than in a drunken stupor at one of the company sponsored bar-outings.
    The learning curve, at least in the merchandising department, is very strange: very steep in the beginning when in the first two months everything is thrown at you all at once, and you freak out because it's too much, but after that it's the same work over, and over, and over again. So much routine! And promotions don't really get you anywhere either, with only a minor pay raise and much the same job, plus a few more still boring tasks.
    What makes working here also unpleasant is the high employee dissatisfaction, which results in an extremely high turn-over rate. People come and go, and you never know who's still going to be in the office the next day. And with so much turnover, it's hard for more experienced people to do their jobs properly because they constantly have to train new hires and show them how things are done. This is very inefficient and frustrating.
    Communication within the department was overall lacking, and more open clearer policies and instructions would help. Currently there is more of a "go figure it out for yourself" attitude, which is fine until the point where they suddenly tell you "no this is wrong".

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better and give them more interesting work / responsibility so that people will stay with Wayfair longer and will actually want to work there instead of having to work there to pay the bills.
    Test new processes first, before implementing them and then having people scramble to keep up with changes and lack of training. Make sure competent managers are leading departments and teams, there are a number of weak links in place.

If you must

Marketing Entry Level (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFriendly co-workers in a constantly growing company. The environment is fun and collegial, with opportunities to learn a growing market. Wayfair provides snacks and monthly nights out with your work team, which is fun, as well as bi-annual parties.

ConsVery low pay by comparison to other, similar companies. Advancement seems arbitrary, based more on relationship with middle-management than on actual merit, which can be frustrating.

Fine place for an internship, but don't think I would return

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsEmphasis on a fun and community oriented company culture, great coworkers, exposure to different departments, enthusiastic CEOs

ConsWork is extremely repetitive and boring

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!