Wayfair

Wayfair Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah

Niraj Shah

Pros:
  • "We are all about our work/ life balance and being rewarded for high performance"
    in 26 reviews
  • "There are some nice people in the engineering department and free snacks is a nice perk"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is absolutely no way to have a career here if you start in an entry level position"
    in 24 reviews
  • "After leaving customer service for a "promotion" this reviewer took a pay cut of about"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Positive, encouraging company culture with a focus on career development

ProsWayfair is a young, fresh company with a fantastic work/life balance. Great perks like discounted gym memberships & commuting passes, free snacks, yoga at lunchtime, etc. Great management, highly skilled and motivated people are the leaders at every level. Many opportunities for career development & training!

ConsGiven the size of the company, it can sometimes feel like you're just another number, but I think they try their best to keep a small team atmosphere as much as possible. Compensation is okay but not great given the cost of living in Boston. I think we'd retain more talent if we offered better salaries.

Good Experience

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros- Most people at Wayfair are recent college grads
    - Fun people to hang out with
    - Headquarter is located in Back Bay, heart of Boston
    - Relaxing working environment, although it can be stressful at times
    - New office has nice chairs and desks that can go up and down!!
    - Good learning experience for summer engineering internship

Cons- Low salary, which you would hear some full-time employee complain during lunch break
    - Projects are web/e-commerce related, so it can be boring and repetitive

If you must

Marketing Entry Level (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFriendly co-workers in a constantly growing company. The environment is fun and collegial, with opportunities to learn a growing market. Wayfair provides snacks and monthly nights out with your work team, which is fun, as well as bi-annual parties.

ConsVery low pay by comparison to other, similar companies. Advancement seems arbitrary, based more on relationship with middle-management than on actual merit, which can be frustrating.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine place for an internship, but don't think I would return

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsEmphasis on a fun and community oriented company culture, great coworkers, exposure to different departments, enthusiastic CEOs

ConsWork is extremely repetitive and boring

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsYoung talented people work at this company. Co-workers are great.

ConsLow salary to start and it does NOT get better. It is hard to live off of a Wayfair salary and I do not see how they get away with this. In my experience, they do not value their employees. I worked in two different departments and in both departments it was explained to me that I was a replaceable employee. Wayfair has an extremely high turnover rate which is an awful way to run a company. Do not work at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn certain departments upper management does not respect their employees. Every day at 5PM my manager would yell (raise his voice) at me about something he thought I was wrong about, and after 15 minutes he would realize I was right and he would be wrong. A previous manager was overworked to the point that he did not speak to me for 3 weeks. His job had nothing to do with the work that I was doing. Simply awful.

Love working with people who care

Boston, MA

ProsWayfair has a really vibrant and fun work environment. We are all about our work/ life balance and being rewarded for high performance. The relationships you will make when joining a team is like no other and you will love working with smart passionate people. Great for smart, hard working people that want to celebrate their individual contributions within a team. Always opportunity to grow and learn!

ConsConference room space is minimal but getting better !

Advice to Senior ManagementI love working with all senior management. They are all great people who are willing to go the extra mile to get things done. I work in HR/Recruiting and when I have a really great candidate - I know they are willing to pay for greatness.

Good First job, But AWFUL pay..

ProsThe company has a nice atmosphere culture most of the time. The company is very, very young and if you want a college-like work atmosphere then this place is for you. The only good thing the company offers employees is a solid benefits plan. Okay discounts on products, not great though. Standard vacation plan, NO sick time at all though (vacation and sick time are combined).

ConsThe pay is flat out embarrassing. The company takes advantage of recent college grads/young professionals and pays them next to nothing. Lets just say how pay is the topic of conversation on every employees lunch break.... Its normally for employees to "just make it" every month, there's no saving at all. The benefits package is okay, but not great. The company offers legit no sort of discount/compensation for commute/travel expenses. Almost every company throughout the city pays at least half of commuter/parking expenses for employees. The only thing Wayfair does is offer "pretax" mbta passes. But no discount/comp on the actual expense. This place is considered a first time job place, many people learn from the company then go work for competitors that will triple their salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take care of the employees you have. VALUE THEM. Far too many good people have left because you refuse to pay employees the salaries they deserve. If you constantly have turnover, then the company will never truly succeed and grow. Raise the damn salaries significantly. A 10% salary raise during reviews doesn't cut it when the original salary is poverty level. Legit the salaries offered here make employees eligible for food stamps.... that's why the company is referred as "Wellfair".

Good and Bad

ProsFantastic time off and paid vacation - the longer you work there, the more days you get. Free snacks and subsidized drinks, plus fresh fruit delivered weekly. Great benefit plan compared to other companies. It is a really young company and the parties we have can be really fun. Also, we get free tickets to Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics games by lottery and the local symphony and shows.

ConsPretty terrible pay. Compared to the industry, we get paid extremely low salaries. The offset is that they say the benefit plan and free snacks contribute to that. I would rather buy my own snack snacks and have more money given to me.

Can not recommend this company to anyone.

Merchandising Analyst (Current Employee)

Prosgym membership
    401k match

some of the benefits (but they don't make up for the low pay)

Conspay is so much lower than comparable jobs in the field
    promotions are rare.
    managers don't care about getting trained properly and give no feedback, don't manage the teams well
    things go wrong all the time, tools break and a lot of work is done by interns who don't get trained well and therefore don't product good work.
    hard work will most likely not be rewarded unless you have a personal relationship to your manager.

Advice to Senior Managementreward people that work hard
    pay more!
    give employees the opportunity to grow

Low pay, little recognition, screwed over by promotion policy

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsSmart people who are sympathetic to the conditions, a really great manager (for my last few months), nice opportunities for team bonding if you have a team who will consider spending pod outing money for something other than getting smashed.

ConsPay. Pay. Pay. And to everyone reviewing saying that something will be done about the dismal paycheck prospects soon, you must be new to the company or have been hit in the head by a fake Herman Miller chair. This is their business model. They keep the people who have drank the Kool Aid, and the rest are replaceable as needed. No one cares about you or your work, and if you work hard you'll get nowhere, if you don't you'll get nowhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better managers. Find a way to promote from within without every job requiring management of a team; there are smart people who aren't cut out to manage. Find a job path for them. RAISE THE DAMN SALARIES. Don't insult your staff by hiring outside talent and paying them 25% more than the people who have worked their way up for 5 years. They're going to leave. Stop promoting a college frat atmosphere.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wayfair reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah. All 267 reviews posted anonymously by Wayfair employees.