Wayfair Reviews

3.8

Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah

Pros
  • We are all about our work/ life balance and being rewarded for high performance (in 30 reviews)

• They offer free snacks, the work is easy enough, and I liked my co-workers on my team (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The first big con of Wayfair is the pitiful salaries they offer most entry level hires (in 28 reviews)

• They hire kids right out of school for customer service and pay them pennies (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Progressive company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Wayfair is a fun place to work with a young staff and a very strong ability to innovate and grow. It is a terrific place to work.

Cons

The pay is low. It is right in boston, so you are paying to commute or live in the city. The pay should be higher to reflect this, but it is something that they are working on.

Continue everything you are doing, however do not post internal positions unless they are determined to be necessary, as it can be a let down to all who apply if the position is rescinded.

Great coworkers, CS is never a thrilling/enjoyable position, but they make the best of it.

I worked at Wayfair

Pros

Great coworkers- young community. The company tries to provide group building activities by giving cash ever month to go out with your group. Generally a good attitude around the office, except it is a tolling position when you're getting yelled at so there is definite negativity as well.

Cons

Low starting salary. The company was constantly changing which was a good and bad thing. It was bad because no one ever knew if they were going to be steadily doing the tasks at hand, or if they would be moving to a different group/area.

Dynamic place to work with lots of opportunity

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

-Lots of room for growth
    -Lots of co-operation across departments
    -Very little office politics (outside Customer Service)
    -Lots of responsibility for those who want it
    -Lots of opportunities to learn and develop expertise in various aspects of the business
    -Great workspace, no cubicles
    -Huge upside potential in this thing

Cons

-Historically, the company has not invested as much in employee salaries, although there are signs this is changing
    -Positively toxic levels of morale in the customer service department in Boston (I spent time there before moving into this role) sometimes for good reason.

I've been impressed with the senior management's ability to make big changes to stay relevant and take the business to the next level. Continue to foster the start-up atmosphere as we become bigger.

Take a hard look at the way the customer service department functions. It's going to be very hard to meet the company goal of world-class customer service if the department is as demoralized as it seems (and is palpable in the reviews below). The many noble-sounding initiatives and bonus plans should have resulted in a workforce happy to be there every morning, but a combination of mis-management and constant unnecessary changes have eroded job satisfaction. Consider hiring customer service managers with actual experience managing people.

Anyone applying for a role outside customer service would do well to keep in mind that the negative experiences described in many of the reviews reflect a series of very specific problems in one department and shouldn't bias him/her against a position in Marketing or Tech or Operations. This is a fabulous, co-operative work environment where people work hard and play hard and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Good for the time...

I worked at Wayfair

Pros

They treat their employees well, and there is a lot of room for internal growth.

Cons

There were a lot of high expectations, sudden changes were made frequently and it often felt like managers were breathing down employees throats. It is a cut-throat environment for sales consultants and can be emotionally draining.

Great people, growing company.

Current Employee - Sales Service Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Strong peer group, learn the Web and e-commerce business

Cons

commute to Boston is pretty far.

give me more stock

Great Stepping Stone into a Real Career

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Relaxed and fun atmosphere
    Amazing benefits package
    Employee perks (parties, free food, mixers)
    Casual dress
    Employee discount
    In-house training

Cons

Low pay
    Tedious tasks
    Limited ability to advance to higher positions (favortism)

(employed at CSN from 2007-2008) After working at other companies, CSN still the top when it comes to providing fun and entertaining outlets (parties/mixers) and benefit packages for employees. Establish a straightforward and honest system for employees to advance through the ranks. (I saw a lot of favoritism and ignored requests). Increase the pay, seriously, it’s hard to live in Boston on a $29,000 salary.

Too Good to Be True

I worked at Wayfair

Pros

Three weeks vacation upon starting
    Summer/winter parties
    Lively/mostly friendly employees
    Good place to start if you are joining the work force

Cons

The senior management is incompetent
    Horrible pay for what you do
    Degrading job responsibilities
    Favoritism and lack of ability to move up

Treat employees like people and not playthings that you can use to meet your own needs. We're doing you a favor, not vice versa.

It is a good entry level job to gain experience.

Former Employee - Entry Level Sale and Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair

Pros

There are a lot of young business professionals looking to to start their career (good culture), and there is plenty of opportunity to move up in the company.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of favortisim involved and a lot of drama between employees who have been with the company for multiple years.

Do a better job of addressing scheduling needs- In the time I worked there there were multiple different schedules that were always changing.

Great!!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Flexability
    Work hard Get paid Great
    Nice young enviroment
    Laughing is a daily chore
    Knowledge is power - they hold training to be one of the most important parts of an employee. You will learn a lot

Cons

They tell you when to eat lunch
    They are cracking down on the service and sales department

Pay the consultants more and cultivate them into stud sales reps

Great place to get hands-on business experience, grow and build a career.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

CSN gives its employees a lot of responsibility right off the bat. I have a lot of friends who started their careers at the same time in finance and consulting, and the stuff that they're doing is busywork compared to the power to opportunity to drive results that I've been given at CSN. I don't just analyze data and share it with clients who may or may not choose to see it through -- the insights that I generate from my analysis lead to actions (led by me), and the impact that those actions have is often immediate and something I can evaluate in real-time. That feeling of having impact on CSN's growth is really exciting and kind of addictive. If I have an idea on how to change a process or grow one of the categories I'm working on, I'm encouraged to test it. If it doesn't work, I see that it's not working quickly and try something else. It's great to have that feeling of really making an impact to soon after starting a new job, and from what I understand from my friends, I'm pretty lucky to have found it.

CSN's also a great place to make friends and meet new people. I didn't know many people in the city when I moved to Boston, and now I have a whole new crew of friends who I've met through working here. We have a lot of fun together both in and out of the office.

Cons

CSN's growing so quickly, I think being successful here means having a good comfort-level with change. You have to adapt easily and roll with the punches a bit as the business and structure of the company change as we grow. I think that constant change is actually a positive thing -- it keeps things constantly fresh and always exciting.