Wayfair Reviews

Great!!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Flexability Work hard Get paid Great Nice young enviroment Laughing is a daily chore Knowledge is power - they hold training to be one of the most important parts of an employee. You will learn a lot

Cons

They tell you when to eat lunch They are cracking down on the service and sales department

Advice to Management

Pay the consultants more and cultivate them into stud sales reps

Very friendly place to work; promotions not handled meritoriously.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair

Pros

The people you work with are very friendly, and the open floorplan allows for a lot of interaction. Coworkers are very helpful when you need something explained. They do attempt to keep morale up through monthly nights out with your team and semi-annual parties. Good work gets commented on in a special recognition section of the internal website.

Cons

There were a couple of things that I found difficult to understand or accept during my time at CSN. First, the pay is very low, and in the CS department it is based on numbers that are not always accurate, both because they can be gamed by other employees and because the system used to track them is very glitchy. This is a little disconcerting because your pay is based on these numbers. Also, during my time there, the scheduling system was changed with virtually no advanced warning. Suddenly, you were working a different schedule each month, which was especially frustrating because you are required to book vacation time before knowing what your schedule would be, which made it very difficult to plan. The biggest issue I had working at CSN, though, was the manner in which promotions are handled. For all the talk of meritocracy (and there is a lot), my experience, and that of many of my coworkers, was the opposite of that. At one point, I interviewed for an internal opening in a job that I had gone to college for and had previously worked in, successfully, for over five years. Several weeks after my interview, I was contacted by the head of the department, who told me that I was "definitely" the most qualified of the applicants. However, I was informed that there was another employee who had been with the company longer and had applied for this position several times before. For this reason, that employee was given the job. At that point, I began looking for a new job. I ultimately wound up working in the same field that I was passed over for at CSN, and making about twice as much as I would have been. I suppose all's well that ends well, but that incident definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. I know that similar things have happened to several other employees at CSN, and I know that people tend to be promoted based on how much out-of-work time they spend with their bosses more than the quality of the work they do while at the office.

Advice to Management

Do more than paying lip-service to the idea of promoting based on merit. Actually following through on that promise will go a long way toward keeping good employees with the company.

A great place to grow.

Current Employee - Category Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

A lot of opportunity for learning and advancement. Laid-back atmosphere. Young coworkers create a fun environment. Opportunity to take ownership. Management opportunities. Great location.

Cons

Salaries aren't the highest in the industry, but other benefits (vacation time, healthcare, equity plan) offset this.

Incredibly entrepreneurial with great company culture

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

The company is very entrepreneurial and is well poised to maintain that competitive advantage as it grows. The company culture is great - high energy, great mix of hard work and fun. It is a great place to work with lots of opportunity at all levels. Feels like a small business that has the impact of a much larger company.

Cons

Straight up salary is not necessarily as competitive as other companies. However, they make up for it in equity, benefits, company culture and opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the entrepreneurial edge as you grow. Don't let the dollar signs cloud your vision for the company. Keep up the great work!

If you work hard the sky is the limit

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

- Fantastic Benefits - Great work environment - The people are generally very nice and very capable - Easy access to everyone in the company (including upper management) - Huge amount of responsibility given to new engineers - If you want to work on something specific and you ask for it, they will make it happen - Equity in the company - Excellent pay if you demonstrate that you are worth it - Your changes will be seen by millions of people each month - The company/department is always open to better ways of doing things if you suggest them in a respectful way Overall CSN is an amazing place to work, and your happiness level at the company is completely in your control. In tech they will throw you into the fire right away and expect a lot of you, but if you can deliver then the company will take care of you. The people who succeed here are outgoing, creative, and willing to put in effort to do well. If you just want to punch a clock, slack off on your work, and expect to get raises then you should look elsewhere. CSN truly is a meritocracy, and if you are a valuable asset to the company then you will be rewarded for that.

Cons

Things move so quickly that it can feel a bit out of control at times, and sometimes valuable projects get put onto the back burner because we just don't have time for them. This also means that people at all levels in the organization need to take initiative to get things done, since management doesn't always have time to hold your hand through every project. There are some other minor growing pains, software is adding a ton of new engineers and so the group is a little bottom heavy. This means less oversight and slightly reduced quality control. This gets better every day though, so not a big concern.

Advice to Management

Do a bit more to recognize individual contributions in the tech group. People in tech are rarely on the recognition wall, and when we are it's usually because someone in another group put us there. People work really hard in general and sometimes it seems like the only time we are praised for it is during reviews. It would also be nice to get a weekly (or even monthly) email about the major things that are going on in tech and who is working on them. The group is getting large enough that there are big projects happening that some people don't know about.

Multiple Promotions With Little Compensation

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

CSN Stores is an extremely laid-back environment. T-shirts are probably as common as button-downs. There are no partitions in the workspace, so it's a very friendly atmosphere which promotes friendship and collaboration across organizational boundaries.

Cons

While it's a good place to gain experience in multiple departments of a corporation, don't expect to be compensated financially for increased competence. It's a good place for college graduates to get some work experience on their resumes, but it's not a good place to stick around if you want the money to be able to enjoy Boston.

Great Workplace Environment, Even Better for Leadership Development

Current Employee - Group Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

- Fast growing company - Endless opportunities to contribute to the growth - Heavy expansion creates new jobs and opportunities for internal employees - Competitive salary, great benefits package, and everyone has equity shares! - Continual top down communication on strategy and initiatives - Collaboration on all major projects - Allows for creative and innovative people to thrive - Open space office layout, removes barrier to communication and helps contribute to team dynamic - Great after-work events that allow for networking and further community building - Great mentor-ship program for new hires - Everyone seems willing to help in any way they can to help you succeed

Cons

- Elevator situation in Christian Science Center makes getting to work very hectic - Main office is located in the Back Bay, can be costly to come to work if not living in the city or city outskirts

Advice to Management

The leadership at CSN Stores has done a great job of keeping everyone informed, despite the growing number of employees (now at ~800). It would be great to continue this type of leadership as well as continuing to ask for feedback on how to improve the culture. I believe all the employees welcome these opportunities and are excited to contribute to the overall direction of CSN Stores.

An exciting and energetic company that has provided lot's of room for growth and personal development.

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Culture and Environment Growth and Personal Development Benefits and People Never a dull day Opportunity to pave your own way

Cons

We are constantly adapting to accomodate our growth and needs, this is tough for those who don't like change

A stagnate work environment that was nothing like they advertised

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Strong business model in a growing industry

Cons

No collaboration, no perfomance measures that allowed them to differentiate talent, minimal pay and lack of mobility within the organization

A fast-paced company where hard work pays off

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

- Amazing benefits - Relaxed office environment - Constant opportunities to advance - Several company outings each year - Easy commute from anywhere in the city CSN is a place where hard work does not go unnoticed. Like any great company, you need to go above and beyond to advance.

Cons

The pay is below average but the benefits package is significantly stronger than most companies. The desire to hire recent college grads can often be a bad thing because of the immaturity brought in.

Advice to Management

Too many young people come into CSN with unrealistic expectations. Your job is not always going to be enjoyable, if you continue to promise too much the high turnover will always be a problem.

RSS Feed </> Embed