Wayne State

Wayne State Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson

M. Roy Wilson

Pros
  • Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff(in 11 reviews)

• There is a lot of culture and respect in the work environment and you get to learn a lot(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions(in 3 reviews)

• Well I know people and it still wasn't enough for me to get a different position within the organization(in 3 reviews)

Fantastic place to work.

Training Director (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsBenefits, colleagues, work-life balance. Ongoing efforts to better the institution.

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps give more recognition to outcome of training interventions developed and implemented.

Great Opportunities for Students

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsEach day I have different tasks and often have to learn new and interesting skills to complete said tasks. It was the perfect opportunity to work in addition to being a student and it greatly enhanced my undergraduate experience.

ConsSometimes there can be gaps between projects where there is not much to accomplish. I felt like I was wasting my time when I wanted to be working.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways give employees multiple tasks, even if you do not expect all of them to be accomplished. It is better to extend a project than have an employee doing nothing.

great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery friendly working atmosphere at Wayne State.

Consno cons that i can think of.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As an employee its great as a student its terrible

ProsThe pay in the IT department is pretty decent and amazing benefits

ConsAdministration is terrible nothing gets done on time

Great students, can be rewarding, no professional development, university-wide bureaucracy can be maddening.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked at WSU for 8 years. Enjoyed working with students they are down-to-earth and most appreciate the staff. Wonderful vacation time and 403 B contributions. Salary was OK-once you are in a position it's almost impossible to get a raise beyond the (sometimes) 2% raise.

ConsLittle support for innovation university-wide. It really depends on department/college you work in-some have great leadership-some not. If you are good at your job your reward is more work-no more money. I was continually given jobs that other staff refused to do which can be extremely frustrating. You will pay at least $600 for parking. Seemingly high turnover at the top-president, provost, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganization among some dept could save $$$. The budgets/financial atmosphere is set-up in a competitive way between colleges and depts. so there is little initiative to collaborate. Some depts are swamped in the summer-some in the fall and winter. Staff sharing/rotation, especially within colleges could help. Again, if your have a string chair/director it can be great, but I have heard negative feedback about many chairs/directors who are weak administrators.

There are some issues, but get treated better than a lot of other graduate schools from what I hear.

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff. There are some great research and collaboration opportunities if you know where to look. There is usually funding to be had - I've been funded through GTA, GRA, and fellowships for the 5 years I've been here.

ConsDealing with administration is a chore - very slow and inefficient. You have to take a lot of classes - more than the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease update the administrative systems! Hire people who know how to use computers.

Best University

ProsWayne State University has lots of pros:
    1) The only university in the area that offers a variety of majors and degrees.
    2) Has a lots of finding resources that is very important for student who intend their research to be funded.
    3) Its campus is very safe because it is located in Detroit area.

ConsThey are very few and they are not very significant like sharing offices with others.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo experience with that.

Poor Career and Stipend Support

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsAccess to good mentors if motivated.

ConsPoor stipend support for Ph.D. students. 20K is among lowest (bottom quartile) in nation for science. Comparable schools provide thousands more. Department (in school of medicine) has too many tenured professors with no funding and poor publishing records. Little career support for non academic research paths. Faculty is stuck in a 60-70's era mentality. 1 in 5 will actually work in academia. Department leadership is lacking and typically the graduate officer is appointed to a non-productive professor. The current graduate officer only has 3 publications within the past 5 years. Overall, while the department holds itself in high esteem it requires massive improvements. I recommend prospective graduate students seek other institutions for graduate training.

Research drive is good, but utilities are a bit lacking.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe culture is very nice. Advisors are very supporting and helpful. The other graduate students are community oriented and friendly.

ConsDetroit regularly has power and other utility problems. Coordination between different branches is very poor, so it can be hard to get things fixed properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between different branches would greatly improve the working environment.

Pay ok

ProsIt's nice to work in the city with college students

ConsParking is high
    union fees
    high insurance

Worked for Wayne State? Contribute to the Community!