Wayne State

Wayne State Reviews in Detroit, MI

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson

M. Roy Wilson

Pros
  • Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff(in 11 reviews)

• There is a lot of culture and respect in the work environment and you get to learn a lot(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions(in 3 reviews)

• Well I know people and it still wasn't enough for me to get a different position within the organization(in 3 reviews)

103 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lack of respect for employees

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsAccessibility of fitness equipment and showers.
    Lots of activities & information is available at the front desk, leading you to be more in-the-loop with campus events.

ConsLeadership does not invest much time/effort into employee satisfaction and seems to have very little tolerance/respect for student employees.
    Time off is tough to come by unless you set your availability before you start working there
    You can bet on not making a penny over minimum wage here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHost employee appreciation events/parties.
    Spend some time getting to know employees personally, since they are the key to your success.
    Consider alternate methods for addressing concerns with employees.
    Get more sleep.

The Wayne Way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsI was a part-time faculty member teaching one class and I enjoyed the students and the opportunity to teach my craft.

ConsIn my experience, large colleges and universities are worst bureaucracies to deal with and Wayne State is no exception. It even has a name: "The Wayne Way"

Adjunct Faculty Member, Mathematics Department

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsLeeway with curriculum for competency courses, friendly, supportive environment, parking reimbursement.

ConsOnly part time and therefore low pay and no benefits, you never know what your schedule will be (or if you'll have a job) from semester to semester, can be difficult to teach for some of the less competent professors, none of the benefits of being a student or a full time WSU employee (tuition assistance, gym access, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving fewer, more competent, full time adjuncts would be beneficial to the department, but i'm sure it would not make sense fiscally for the department to add full time positions with benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Wayne State was Decent

Peer Mentor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsDiversity, yearly activities, Midtown, CorkTown,Downtown DETROIT, career fairs

ConsCold Winters, expensive student bookstore -B&N

So much potential but such little direction and support

Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat research facility, great people

ConsVery difficult to implement new processes; too much red tape.

Never really sure who had my back and who held the knife.

Research Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat benefits, like 403(b) match where employee contributes 5% and WSU matches with 10%, and FSAs for health and dependent care. Also had a lot of flexibility in choosing to work from home or office whenever feasible.

ConsDean of the College was a cold-hearted, manipulative idiot. Parking is expensive and either dilapidated or under major construction. Street parking at your own risk.

The worse job I ever had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe Students were reasons to work at the university

ConsNO support training or ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your Human Resource Dept.

World-class experience working along side some of the greatest minds from around the world.

Program Assistant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsStaff and students from all corners of the globe unified as one warrior family across hundreds of disciplines driving Wayne State to the forefront in many sectors.

ConsSome departments express a strong micromanagement system that inhibits the expression of new and potentially innovative processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssociate with all employes, not just immediate supervisory staff in the department.

Wonderful place with many opportunities

Custodain (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsFree classes for full-time employees

ConsLimited free credit hours per semester for full-time employees

Long time goal

Library Technician (Current Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsSmall office & know all of the people who work in the building. Meet many of the students & faculty.

ConsWeird hours. Tough to advance at this specific location.

Worked for Wayne State? Contribute to the Community!