Wayne State

Wayne State Reviews in Detroit, MI

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson

M. Roy Wilson

Pros
  • Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff(in 11 reviews)

• There is a lot of culture and respect in the work environment and you get to learn a lot(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions(in 3 reviews)

• Well I know people and it still wasn't enough for me to get a different position within the organization(in 3 reviews)

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Lonely Life of an Adjunct Instructor

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe only reason for agreeing to teach in remote outreach centers is engaging with the students, in particular the returning student. I liked teaching at night because of the mature students who were making sacrifices to improve their writing and their comprehension. I always provided food and encouraged the students to share with me. Wayne State is a large enterprise, but I always felt that the other adjuncts were qualified and conscientious.

ConsThe isolation from the English Department and full-time faculty was a problem for me. Teachers like to share, but since adjuncts teach at hours that full-time professors would not find acceptable, there was very little camaraderie.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your adjunct faculty with raises, acknowledgment, and inclusion in the department. We have degrees and experience, but we are second-class citizens.

Great place to work, great benefits!!!

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsWork-life balance, generous amount of vacation time, 2 classes free per semester at WSU, friendly environment

ConsNot too many opportunities for growth

Overall I liked the place.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsBenefits are good. Also, can't beat free tuition if you want to continue developing your skills.

ConsDon't really move up, based on my experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wayne State does not provide good support to enable outstanding performance

Professor (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsAs an academic I have total freedom to pick my research area and the manner in which I teach my courses

ConsWayne State provides no support to implement innovative programs. If anything there are numerous organizational barriers to launch any initiative. In addition the financial and legal bureaucracy is generally unhelpful.

Wayne State can be a good place to work

Web Developer (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat vacation time, decent salary, 403(b) investment options and matching are nice, good insurance benefits, 37.5hr work week, semi-flexible work environment, salaried but overtime eligible (which is kind of weird), professional development opportunities (conferences and workshops).

The department I was in was very progressive and the team was awesome. Working with other units on campus was a mixed bag, some were on top of things, others seemed very disorganized.

ConsPay increases are minimal, not much room for growth, parking isn't covered by employer (but isn't as expensive as parking in other major cities, so not too bad).

Most tech jobs are unionized; for some positions this might be good, but for professional staff this hinders advancement, creates a less than professional atmosphere, and the whole concept of "bumping" is horrible for niche skill professional positions (random other tech staff person can't do a web developer's job just because their base title is also "System Integrator II"); this shouldn't be happening the way it does.

Advice to Senior ManagementShelter your employees from the Wayne bureaucracy as much as you can. Give benefits in flex time, remote work, and professional development opportunities (you can do this); this will help offset the lack of salary increases (2% basically matches inflation so the years it's less than 2% your staff's buying power goes down; this is a pay cut).

You might not have control over everything, but you can create an environment in your department that will foster creativity, involvement, and become a professional atmosphere where your staff will feel that Wayne's mission is their mission.

Fantastic place to work.

Training Director (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsBenefits, colleagues, work-life balance. Ongoing efforts to better the institution.

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps give more recognition to outcome of training interventions developed and implemented.

Great Opportunities for Students

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsEach day I have different tasks and often have to learn new and interesting skills to complete said tasks. It was the perfect opportunity to work in addition to being a student and it greatly enhanced my undergraduate experience.

ConsSometimes there can be gaps between projects where there is not much to accomplish. I felt like I was wasting my time when I wanted to be working.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways give employees multiple tasks, even if you do not expect all of them to be accomplished. It is better to extend a project than have an employee doing nothing.

There are some issues, but get treated better than a lot of other graduate schools from what I hear.

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff. There are some great research and collaboration opportunities if you know where to look. There is usually funding to be had - I've been funded through GTA, GRA, and fellowships for the 5 years I've been here.

ConsDealing with administration is a chore - very slow and inefficient. You have to take a lot of classes - more than the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease update the administrative systems! Hire people who know how to use computers.

Best University

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsWayne State University has lots of pros:
    1) The only university in the area that offers a variety of majors and degrees.
    2) Has a lots of finding resources that is very important for student who intend their research to be funded.
    3) Its campus is very safe because it is located in Detroit area.

ConsThey are very few and they are not very significant like sharing offices with others.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo experience with that.

Great

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsUp to 5 classes free in a year, wellness warriors that pays 250 a year for just going to workouts and seminars on campus during work shift. Culture is nice really family oriented m definitely not the corporate life.

ConsNo real opportunity of vertical movement due to people retiring late. Hard to get undergraduate classes completed if you working because the classes are usually in the day. Try talking with supervisor to see if you can work over so you can go to class.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate job opportunities that current employees can actually apply for. Look internally to fill new positions before looking outward.

Worked for Wayne State? Contribute to the Community!