Wayne State

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson

M. Roy Wilson

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall I liked the place.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsBenefits are good. Also, can't beat free tuition if you want to continue developing your skills.

ConsDon't really move up, based on my experience.

Wayne State can be a good place to work

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsGreat vacation time, decent salary, 403(b) investment options and matching are nice, good insurance benefits, 37.5hr work week, semi-flexible work environment, salaried but overtime eligible (which is kind of weird), professional development opportunities (conferences and workshops).

The department I was in was very progressive and the team was awesome. Working with other units on campus was a mixed bag, some were on top of things, others seemed very disorganized.

ConsPay increases are minimal, not much room for growth, parking isn't covered by employer (but isn't as expensive as parking in other major cities, so not too bad).

Most tech jobs are unionized; for some positions this might be good, but for professional staff this hinders advancement, creates a less than professional atmosphere, and the whole concept of "bumping" is horrible for niche skill professional positions (random other tech staff person can't do a web developer's job just because their base title is also "System Integrator II"); this shouldn't be happening the way it does.

Advice to Senior ManagementShelter your employees from the Wayne bureaucracy as much as you can. Give benefits in flex time, remote work, and professional development opportunities (you can do this); this will help offset the lack of salary increases (2% basically matches inflation so the years it's less than 2% your staff's buying power goes down; this is a pay cut).

You might not have control over everything, but you can create an environment in your department that will foster creativity, involvement, and become a professional atmosphere where your staff will feel that Wayne's mission is their mission.

Fantastic place to work.

Training Director (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsBenefits, colleagues, work-life balance. Ongoing efforts to better the institution.

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps give more recognition to outcome of training interventions developed and implemented.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are some issues, but get treated better than a lot of other graduate schools from what I hear.

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsGreat benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff. There are some great research and collaboration opportunities if you know where to look. There is usually funding to be had - I've been funded through GTA, GRA, and fellowships for the 5 years I've been here.

ConsDealing with administration is a chore - very slow and inefficient. You have to take a lot of classes - more than the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease update the administrative systems! Hire people who know how to use computers.

Great Opportunities for Students

Student Assistant (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsEach day I have different tasks and often have to learn new and interesting skills to complete said tasks. It was the perfect opportunity to work in addition to being a student and it greatly enhanced my undergraduate experience.

ConsSometimes there can be gaps between projects where there is not much to accomplish. I felt like I was wasting my time when I wanted to be working.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways give employees multiple tasks, even if you do not expect all of them to be accomplished. It is better to extend a project than have an employee doing nothing.

Best University

ProsWayne State University has lots of pros:
    1) The only university in the area that offers a variety of majors and degrees.
    2) Has a lots of finding resources that is very important for student who intend their research to be funded.
    3) Its campus is very safe because it is located in Detroit area.

ConsThey are very few and they are not very significant like sharing offices with others.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo experience with that.

Great

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsUp to 5 classes free in a year, wellness warriors that pays 250 a year for just going to workouts and seminars on campus during work shift. Culture is nice really family oriented m definitely not the corporate life.

ConsNo real opportunity of vertical movement due to people retiring late. Hard to get undergraduate classes completed if you working because the classes are usually in the day. Try talking with supervisor to see if you can work over so you can go to class.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate job opportunities that current employees can actually apply for. Look internally to fill new positions before looking outward.

Poor Career and Stipend Support

Detroit, MI

ProsAccess to good mentors if motivated.

ConsPoor stipend support for Ph.D. students. 20K is among lowest (bottom quartile) in nation for science. Comparable schools provide thousands more. Department (in school of medicine) has too many tenured professors with no funding and poor publishing records. Little career support for non academic research paths. Faculty is stuck in a 60-70's era mentality. 1 in 5 will actually work in academia. Department leadership is lacking and typically the graduate officer is appointed to a non-productive professor. The current graduate officer only has 3 publications within the past 5 years. Overall, while the department holds itself in high esteem it requires massive improvements. I recommend prospective graduate students seek other institutions for graduate training.

Stable working environment, yet aggravating higher management.

(Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsThe benefits package for the University sort of offsets the lower salary a licensed professional would expect. The time off and stability make it all tolerable. I generally work with very nice people, who mostly have the better interest of the University in mind, and whom care about their work.

ConsThere are many double standards practiced, contrary to any written Policy and Procedure. The CFO seems to be the most detached with wage, basing it on a production industry. The trend and perception seems to be that newly solicited professionals will be reviewed for appropriate market driven salaries, but consideration to rite the wrongs of previous offers will not be considered.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher management needs to seriously review and amend the disparity in salary for non-represented professionals, failure to do so will result in the loss of talented and dedicated individuals. Proper review of the licensing and professional criteria should be compared to amend management disparities. A 20K higher wage from a position that has no licensing criteria to a position that does should not be allowed.

Research drive is good, but utilities are a bit lacking.

Detroit, MI

ProsThe culture is very nice. Advisors are very supporting and helpful. The other graduate students are community oriented and friendly.

ConsDetroit regularly has power and other utility problems. Coordination between different branches is very poor, so it can be hard to get things fixed properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between different branches would greatly improve the working environment.

Worked for Wayne State? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wayne State reviews and ratings in Detroit, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wayne State CEO M. Roy Wilson. All 101 reviews posted anonymously by Wayne State employees.