Wayne State Reviews in Detroit, MI

Updated October 22, 2014
3.6

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson
M. Roy Wilson

Pros
  • Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff (in 13 reviews)

• There is a lot of culture and respect in the work environment and you get to learn a lot (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions (in 3 reviews)

• no opportunities for advancement, low salary, no bonuses, poor company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

122 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I learned a lot initially but kept doing the same things

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learned to think on my own and problem solve as an undergraduate. Very, very flexible hours. They completely cater around your schedule.

Cons

Incredibly tedious after your first couple months.

Need to stop criticizing your student assistants negatively. Give them feedback to grow; they're getting better at this.

good

Current Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State part-time (less than an year)

Pros

learn a lot and happy to help students and professors to solve problems

Cons

there is not enough office to work

Research Assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience, vibrant school crowd, amazing colleagues, great seminar speakers, easy to commute inside campus

Cons

Horrible neighborhood, difficult to commute from outside, fair pay scale, lots of work expectation, unsafe during night.

Diverse, and not the way you think

Current Employee - Associate Director in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I remember coming here originally as a student, and being so thrilled to have found a good school with ordinary, middle-class kids who were doing well. I came from a very snooty school and always felt out of place there. Here, I found people from all walks of life, and so many different cultures.

This is a place where people have to work hard to study and in their jobs. The good old boy system really doesn't work here. As someone who works here,

I really appreciate that women and minorities are in leadership positions.

Cons

This is a big university, and we are working at making things more user-friendly, and less bureaucratic.

It is tricky to take care of family responsibilities, commuting from another city. I would like to see more vacation time available for staff who are not represented, and more options for children to attend day camps here in the summer.

Great learning experience !

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of advancement opportunities. Great staff, very helpful. many different fields to choose from

Cons

No benefits offered for this position.

Excellent research institute.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of facilities if you love to do research. Specially in fundamental science. Very talented faculty with many collaborations with national and international labs.

Cons

Moving to the next level will take many years since the opportunities are not that high. Sometimes working with front office administrative staff is a pain.

Still employees need to fill dozens of paper forms for various administrative requirements. There is no integrated electronic system to handle documents. Need to implement a simple electronic document server to integrate all the administrative documents.

Great University to study and work

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professors are every friendly and helpful

Cons

Difficult to work with Staff

Pleasant Experience

Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for a University has been a great experience for me as a student. The hours are convenient and the Administrator is supported of employee long term goals. Friendly environment with endless diversity.

Cons

Low wages and little opportunity for promotion.

Involve chances for higher compensation

Old School - Literally

Current Employee - Support Staff in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with 10% match and more vacation days than you know what to do with plus they have an excellent Wellness program with a fitness center on campus.

Cons

No upper management with any goals to work towards. My immediate supervisor doesn't like to work so is threatened by any fresh ideas or enthusiasm and will make me look bad to upper management (with no goals) if I dare work too hard. No innovation . . . not even a glimpse towards competing with on-line courses. Lots of people getting paid to do nothing and way too many unions protecting them. Silos everywhere so there's no interfacing between departments. In 3 years I've received $600 in raises (total). But the cost of parking has gone up twice. If you want to get paid to play Candy Crush, this is a great place to work.

Get to know your employees all the way down the food chain because there may just be an incompetent manager in the way of a very valuable asset.

The Lonely Life of an Adjunct Instructor

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time

Pros

The only reason for agreeing to teach in remote outreach centers is engaging with the students, in particular the returning student. I liked teaching at night because of the mature students who were making sacrifices to improve their writing and their comprehension. I always provided food and encouraged the students to share with me. Wayne State is a large enterprise, but I always felt that the other adjuncts were qualified and conscientious.

Cons

The isolation from the English Department and full-time faculty was a problem for me. Teachers like to share, but since adjuncts teach at hours that full-time professors would not find acceptable, there was very little camaraderie.

Reward your adjunct faculty with raises, acknowledgment, and inclusion in the department. We have degrees and experience, but we are second-class citizens.