Wayne State

The Lonely Life of an Adjunct Instructor

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time

Pros

The only reason for agreeing to teach in remote outreach centers is engaging with the students, in particular the returning student. I liked teaching at night because of the mature students who were making sacrifices to improve their writing and their comprehension. I always provided food and encouraged the students to share with me. Wayne State is a large enterprise, but I always felt that the other adjuncts were qualified and conscientious.

Cons

The isolation from the English Department and full-time faculty was a problem for me. Teachers like to share, but since adjuncts teach at hours that full-time professors would not find acceptable, there was very little camaraderie.

Reward your adjunct faculty with raises, acknowledgment, and inclusion in the department. We have degrees and experience, but we are second-class citizens.

Great place to work, great benefits!!!

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, generous amount of vacation time, 2 classes free per semester at WSU, friendly environment

Cons

Not too many opportunities for growth

Overall I liked the place.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Also, can't beat free tuition if you want to continue developing your skills.

Cons

Don't really move up, based on my experience.

Wayne State does not provide good support to enable outstanding performance

Current Employee - Professor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Professor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an academic I have total freedom to pick my research area and the manner in which I teach my courses

Cons

Wayne State provides no support to implement innovative programs. If anything there are numerous organizational barriers to launch any initiative. In addition the financial and legal bureaucracy is generally unhelpful.

Wayne State can be a good place to work

Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation time, decent salary, 403(b) investment options and matching are nice, good insurance benefits, 37.5hr work week, semi-flexible work environment, salaried but overtime eligible (which is kind of weird), professional development opportunities (conferences and workshops).

The department I was in was very progressive and the team was awesome. Working with other units on campus was a mixed bag, some were on top of things, others seemed very disorganized.

Cons

Pay increases are minimal, not much room for growth, parking isn't covered by employer (but isn't as expensive as parking in other major cities, so not too bad).

Most tech jobs are unionized; for some positions this might be good, but for professional staff this hinders advancement, creates a less than professional atmosphere, and the whole concept of "bumping" is horrible for niche skill professional positions (random other tech staff person can't do a web developer's job just because their base title is also "System Integrator II"); this shouldn't be happening the way it does.

Shelter your employees from the Wayne bureaucracy as much as you can. Give benefits in flex time, remote work, and professional development opportunities (you can do this); this will help offset the lack of salary increases (2% basically matches inflation so the years it's less than 2% your staff's buying power goes down; this is a pay cut).

You might not have control over everything, but you can create an environment in your department that will foster creativity, involvement, and become a professional atmosphere where your staff will feel that Wayne's mission is their mission.

Fantastic place to work.

Former Employee - Training Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Training Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, colleagues, work-life balance. Ongoing efforts to better the institution.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

Perhaps give more recognition to outcome of training interventions developed and implemented.

Great Opportunities for Students

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Each day I have different tasks and often have to learn new and interesting skills to complete said tasks. It was the perfect opportunity to work in addition to being a student and it greatly enhanced my undergraduate experience.

Cons

Sometimes there can be gaps between projects where there is not much to accomplish. I felt like I was wasting my time when I wanted to be working.

Always give employees multiple tasks, even if you do not expect all of them to be accomplished. It is better to extend a project than have an employee doing nothing.

There are some issues, but get treated better than a lot of other graduate schools from what I hear.

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff. There are some great research and collaboration opportunities if you know where to look. There is usually funding to be had - I've been funded through GTA, GRA, and fellowships for the 5 years I've been here.

Cons

Dealing with administration is a chore - very slow and inefficient. You have to take a lot of classes - more than the norm.

Please update the administrative systems! Hire people who know how to use computers.

Best University

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wayne State University has lots of pros:
    1) The only university in the area that offers a variety of majors and degrees.
    2) Has a lots of finding resources that is very important for student who intend their research to be funded.
    3) Its campus is very safe because it is located in Detroit area.

Cons

They are very few and they are not very significant like sharing offices with others.

No experience with that.

Poor Career and Stipend Support

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State (more than 3 years)

Pros

Access to good mentors if motivated.

Cons

Poor stipend support for Ph.D. students. 20K is among lowest (bottom quartile) in nation for science. Comparable schools provide thousands more. Department (in school of medicine) has too many tenured professors with no funding and poor publishing records. Little career support for non academic research paths. Faculty is stuck in a 60-70's era mentality. 1 in 5 will actually work in academia. Department leadership is lacking and typically the graduate officer is appointed to a non-productive professor. The current graduate officer only has 3 publications within the past 5 years. Overall, while the department holds itself in high esteem it requires massive improvements. I recommend prospective graduate students seek other institutions for graduate training.