Wayne State

Wayne State Reviews in Michigan

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson

M. Roy Wilson

Pros
  • Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff (in 11 reviews)

• There is a lot of culture and respect in the work environment and you get to learn a lot (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions (in 3 reviews)

• Well I know people and it still wasn't enough for me to get a different position within the organization (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
107 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stagnant growth, low morale

Systems Integrator (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsRetirement matching is excellent, as are the choices of health benefits. Good place to get experience. 100% tuition reimbursment is great to further your education.

ConsHard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions. Union bumping rights, even in professional positions, causes too many disruptions and lowers morale. Performance bonus increase freezes for the past five years leads to doing bare minimum work in many cases.

Very good experience

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGood environment to work, and you can receive good advise from the professors and classmates. Also, the benefit is good.

ConsWeather is not too good, you can not stay outside for a while since it is too cold. The safety also need some concern.

Overall enjoyed my time

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsEasy freeway access and close to downtown restaurants and culture

ConsOften felt uneasy walking through campus alone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Wayne Way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsI was a part-time faculty member teaching one class and I enjoyed the students and the opportunity to teach my craft.

ConsIn my experience, large colleges and universities are worst bureaucracies to deal with and Wayne State is no exception. It even has a name: "The Wayne Way"

Working at Wayne State was Decent

Peer Mentor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsDiversity, yearly activities, Midtown, CorkTown,Downtown DETROIT, career fairs

ConsCold Winters, expensive student bookstore -B&N

Adjunct Faculty Member, Mathematics Department

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsLeeway with curriculum for competency courses, friendly, supportive environment, parking reimbursement.

ConsOnly part time and therefore low pay and no benefits, you never know what your schedule will be (or if you'll have a job) from semester to semester, can be difficult to teach for some of the less competent professors, none of the benefits of being a student or a full time WSU employee (tuition assistance, gym access, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving fewer, more competent, full time adjuncts would be beneficial to the department, but i'm sure it would not make sense fiscally for the department to add full time positions with benefits.

No Experience Required - Resume Builder

Help Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsUnderstanding immediate bosses, Continuous professional development, Options to work on many different projects, Different forms of compensation (e.g. housing paid for)

ConsNot many options for moving up, Higher departments make decisions (that sound good to them on paper) over smaller ones when they do not understand the smaller departments, Limited to the number of hours that we can work when we are in school also

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to higher management would be to take more time to learn about the departments beneath you before you make decisions that govern how they function, because sometimes, those new rules make our jobs extremely inefficient.

Lack of respect for employees

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsAccessibility of fitness equipment and showers.
    Lots of activities & information is available at the front desk, leading you to be more in-the-loop with campus events.

ConsLeadership does not invest much time/effort into employee satisfaction and seems to have very little tolerance/respect for student employees.
    Time off is tough to come by unless you set your availability before you start working there
    You can bet on not making a penny over minimum wage here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHost employee appreciation events/parties.
    Spend some time getting to know employees personally, since they are the key to your success.
    Consider alternate methods for addressing concerns with employees.
    Get more sleep.

The worse job I ever had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe Students were reasons to work at the university

ConsNO support training or ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your Human Resource Dept.

So much potential but such little direction and support

Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat research facility, great people

ConsVery difficult to implement new processes; too much red tape.

Worked for Wayne State? Contribute to the Community!