Wayne State

Updated December 17, 2014
3.8

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson
M. Roy Wilson

Pros
  • Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff (in 13 reviews)

• There is a lot of culture and respect in the work environment and you get to learn a lot (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions (in 3 reviews)

• no opportunities for advancement, low salary, no bonuses, poor company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent research institute.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of facilities if you love to do research. Specially in fundamental science. Very talented faculty with many collaborations with national and international labs.

Cons

Moving to the next level will take many years since the opportunities are not that high. Sometimes working with front office administrative staff is a pain.

Still employees need to fill dozens of paper forms for various administrative requirements. There is no integrated electronic system to handle documents. Need to implement a simple electronic document server to integrate all the administrative documents.

Old School - Literally

Current Employee - Support Staff in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with 10% match and more vacation days than you know what to do with plus they have an excellent Wellness program with a fitness center on campus.

Cons

No upper management with any goals to work towards. My immediate supervisor doesn't like to work so is threatened by any fresh ideas or enthusiasm and will make me look bad to upper management (with no goals) if I dare work too hard. No innovation . . . not even a glimpse towards competing with on-line courses. Lots of people getting paid to do nothing and way too many unions protecting them. Silos everywhere so there's no interfacing between departments. In 3 years I've received $600 in raises (total). But the cost of parking has gone up twice. If you want to get paid to play Candy Crush, this is a great place to work.

Get to know your employees all the way down the food chain because there may just be an incompetent manager in the way of a very valuable asset.

Great learning experience !

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of advancement opportunities. Great staff, very helpful. many different fields to choose from

Cons

No benefits offered for this position.

Great University to study and work

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professors are every friendly and helpful

Cons

Difficult to work with Staff

Pleasant Experience

Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for a University has been a great experience for me as a student. The hours are convenient and the Administrator is supported of employee long term goals. Friendly environment with endless diversity.

Cons

Low wages and little opportunity for promotion.

Involve chances for higher compensation

The Lonely Life of an Adjunct Instructor

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time

Pros

The only reason for agreeing to teach in remote outreach centers is engaging with the students, in particular the returning student. I liked teaching at night because of the mature students who were making sacrifices to improve their writing and their comprehension. I always provided food and encouraged the students to share with me. Wayne State is a large enterprise, but I always felt that the other adjuncts were qualified and conscientious.

Cons

The isolation from the English Department and full-time faculty was a problem for me. Teachers like to share, but since adjuncts teach at hours that full-time professors would not find acceptable, there was very little camaraderie.

Reward your adjunct faculty with raises, acknowledgment, and inclusion in the department. We have degrees and experience, but we are second-class citizens.

Great place to work, great benefits!!!

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, generous amount of vacation time, 2 classes free per semester at WSU, friendly environment

Cons

Not too many opportunities for growth

Overall I liked the place.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Also, can't beat free tuition if you want to continue developing your skills.

Cons

Don't really move up, based on my experience.

Wayne State does not provide good support to enable outstanding performance

Current Employee - Professor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Professor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an academic I have total freedom to pick my research area and the manner in which I teach my courses

Cons

Wayne State provides no support to implement innovative programs. If anything there are numerous organizational barriers to launch any initiative. In addition the financial and legal bureaucracy is generally unhelpful.

Wayne State can be a good place to work

Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation time, decent salary, 403(b) investment options and matching are nice, good insurance benefits, 37.5hr work week, semi-flexible work environment, salaried but overtime eligible (which is kind of weird), professional development opportunities (conferences and workshops).

The department I was in was very progressive and the team was awesome. Working with other units on campus was a mixed bag, some were on top of things, others seemed very disorganized.

Cons

Pay increases are minimal, not much room for growth, parking isn't covered by employer (but isn't as expensive as parking in other major cities, so not too bad).

Most tech jobs are unionized; for some positions this might be good, but for professional staff this hinders advancement, creates a less than professional atmosphere, and the whole concept of "bumping" is horrible for niche skill professional positions (random other tech staff person can't do a web developer's job just because their base title is also "System Integrator II"); this shouldn't be happening the way it does.

Shelter your employees from the Wayne bureaucracy as much as you can. Give benefits in flex time, remote work, and professional development opportunities (you can do this); this will help offset the lack of salary increases (2% basically matches inflation so the years it's less than 2% your staff's buying power goes down; this is a pay cut).

You might not have control over everything, but you can create an environment in your department that will foster creativity, involvement, and become a professional atmosphere where your staff will feel that Wayne's mission is their mission.