Wayne State

Updated December 17, 2014
3.8

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson
M. Roy Wilson

Pros
  • Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff (in 13 reviews)

• There is a lot of culture and respect in the work environment and you get to learn a lot (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions (in 3 reviews)

• no opportunities for advancement, low salary, no bonuses, poor company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic place to work.

Former Employee - Training Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Training Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, colleagues, work-life balance. Ongoing efforts to better the institution.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

Perhaps give more recognition to outcome of training interventions developed and implemented.

Great Opportunities for Students

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Each day I have different tasks and often have to learn new and interesting skills to complete said tasks. It was the perfect opportunity to work in addition to being a student and it greatly enhanced my undergraduate experience.

Cons

Sometimes there can be gaps between projects where there is not much to accomplish. I felt like I was wasting my time when I wanted to be working.

Always give employees multiple tasks, even if you do not expect all of them to be accomplished. It is better to extend a project than have an employee doing nothing.

There are some issues, but get treated better than a lot of other graduate schools from what I hear.

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff. There are some great research and collaboration opportunities if you know where to look. There is usually funding to be had - I've been funded through GTA, GRA, and fellowships for the 5 years I've been here.

Cons

Dealing with administration is a chore - very slow and inefficient. You have to take a lot of classes - more than the norm.

Please update the administrative systems! Hire people who know how to use computers.

Best University

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wayne State University has lots of pros:
    1) The only university in the area that offers a variety of majors and degrees.
    2) Has a lots of finding resources that is very important for student who intend their research to be funded.
    3) Its campus is very safe because it is located in Detroit area.

Cons

They are very few and they are not very significant like sharing offices with others.

No experience with that.

Poor Career and Stipend Support

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State (more than 3 years)

Pros

Access to good mentors if motivated.

Cons

Poor stipend support for Ph.D. students. 20K is among lowest (bottom quartile) in nation for science. Comparable schools provide thousands more. Department (in school of medicine) has too many tenured professors with no funding and poor publishing records. Little career support for non academic research paths. Faculty is stuck in a 60-70's era mentality. 1 in 5 will actually work in academia. Department leadership is lacking and typically the graduate officer is appointed to a non-productive professor. The current graduate officer only has 3 publications within the past 5 years. Overall, while the department holds itself in high esteem it requires massive improvements. I recommend prospective graduate students seek other institutions for graduate training.

Research drive is good, but utilities are a bit lacking.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is very nice. Advisors are very supporting and helpful. The other graduate students are community oriented and friendly.

Cons

Detroit regularly has power and other utility problems. Coordination between different branches is very poor, so it can be hard to get things fixed properly.

Better communication between different branches would greatly improve the working environment.

Great

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Up to 5 classes free in a year, wellness warriors that pays 250 a year for just going to workouts and seminars on campus during work shift. Culture is nice really family oriented m definitely not the corporate life.

Cons

No real opportunity of vertical movement due to people retiring late. Hard to get undergraduate classes completed if you working because the classes are usually in the day. Try talking with supervisor to see if you can work over so you can go to class.

Create job opportunities that current employees can actually apply for. Look internally to fill new positions before looking outward.

Stable working environment, yet aggravating higher management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits package for the University sort of offsets the lower salary a licensed professional would expect. The time off and stability make it all tolerable. I generally work with very nice people, who mostly have the better interest of the University in mind, and whom care about their work.

Cons

There are many double standards practiced, contrary to any written Policy and Procedure. The CFO seems to be the most detached with wage, basing it on a production industry. The trend and perception seems to be that newly solicited professionals will be reviewed for appropriate market driven salaries, but consideration to rite the wrongs of previous offers will not be considered.

Higher management needs to seriously review and amend the disparity in salary for non-represented professionals, failure to do so will result in the loss of talented and dedicated individuals. Proper review of the licensing and professional criteria should be compared to amend management disparities. A 20K higher wage from a position that has no licensing criteria to a position that does should not be allowed.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Research Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Research Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free tuition for employees, excellent benefits, great resources, good research, good equipment and support staff, good office environment, fun campus to work in.

Cons

Bad weather, HR is not very good,

A good place to work but like most higher ed, rife with red tape.

Former Employee - Department Administrator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Department Administrator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, tuition assistance, generous time off for assorted reasons (illness, vacation, holidays), holiday closure between Christmas and New Year's, campus life, access to training, access to education and information, a lot of nice people who have longevity.

Cons

Yearly cutbacks in departments, frequent hiring freezes university-wide, bureaucracy and departments designed to handle bureaucracy, high parking fees for employees, disorganized review process, union bumping in many departments after layoffs, "we've always done it this way" attitude.

Jump out of "we've always done it this way" and learn to move in a more stream-lined fashion. Cut bulk out of departments and encourage fresh perspectives where it counts, not just in the academic sector but also in the staff sector. Be more transparent with business decisions (especially force reductions) and don't shrug off suggestions from younger or seasoned employees.