Wayne State Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.5

Wayne State President M. Roy Wilson
M. Roy Wilson

Pros
  • Great benefits - the graduate student union makes sure we have the same benefits as the faculty and staff (in 11 reviews)

• There is a lot of culture and respect in the work environment and you get to learn a lot (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move up, but sometimes able to move "diagonally" across schools or divisions (in 3 reviews)

• Well I know people and it still wasn't enough for me to get a different position within the organization (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefit

I have been working at Wayne State full-time

Pros

good benefit. good health insurance coverage. good vacation for new employee. 403(b) match. double your pre-tax retirement contribution. good place to get experience.

Cons

hard to move up. parking is expensive. except your own office, you may not feel safe out of you office building.

promotions program should be more to each level of the working place.

Great place to work, great benefits!!!

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, generous amount of vacation time, 2 classes free per semester at WSU, friendly environment

Cons

Not too many opportunities for growth

great place to work

I worked at Wayne State

Pros

great people, good university, in the heart of Detroit.

Cons

there are no major cons.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall I liked the place.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Also, can't beat free tuition if you want to continue developing your skills.

Cons

Don't really move up, based on my experience.

Wayne State does not provide good support to enable outstanding performance

Current Employee - Professor  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Professor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As an academic I have total freedom to pick my research area and the manner in which I teach my courses

Cons

Wayne State provides no support to implement innovative programs. If anything there are numerous organizational barriers to launch any initiative. In addition the financial and legal bureaucracy is generally unhelpful.

Flexible schedule, Not much room to grow

I worked at Wayne State

Pros

Flexible schedule, I can work from home much of the week. not to much micro managing from senior management. Good place to gain experience. 100% Tuition reimbursement is a plus for furthering your education

Cons

Rasies are slow and low (2% and takes about 4 months to set in). Hard to move up in the medical school. Not very good communication around the departments, seems to be a lot of confusion and reimbursments are usually late.

OK

Current Employee - Professional
    Current Employee - Professional

I have been working at Wayne State full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful benefits - generous time off, medical insurance, retirement, etc.

Cons

They say it's "who" you know. Well I know people and it still wasn't enough for me to get a different position within the organization. Not sure if being unionized helps. Opportunities for advancement very little. Commute isn't too bad but there really is no safe way to travel to and from Detroit. Stressed out about another possibility for massive layoffs.

When you say you have an open door, REALLY have an open door. Listen to your employees and value their input.

Wayne State can be a good place to work

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great vacation time, decent salary, 403(b) investment options and matching are nice, good insurance benefits, 37.5hr work week, semi-flexible work environment, salaried but overtime eligible (which is kind of weird), professional development opportunities (conferences and workshops).

The department I was in was very progressive and the team was awesome. Working with other units on campus was a mixed bag, some were on top of things, others seemed very disorganized.

Cons

Pay increases are minimal, not much room for growth, parking isn't covered by employer (but isn't as expensive as parking in other major cities, so not too bad).

Most tech jobs are unionized; for some positions this might be good, but for professional staff this hinders advancement, creates a less than professional atmosphere, and the whole concept of "bumping" is horrible for niche skill professional positions (random other tech staff person can't do a web developer's job just because their base title is also "System Integrator II"); this shouldn't be happening the way it does.

Shelter your employees from the Wayne bureaucracy as much as you can. Give benefits in flex time, remote work, and professional development opportunities (you can do this); this will help offset the lack of salary increases (2% basically matches inflation so the years it's less than 2% your staff's buying power goes down; this is a pay cut).

You might not have control over everything, but you can create an environment in your department that will foster creativity, involvement, and become a professional atmosphere where your staff will feel that Wayne's mission is their mission.

I live

I worked at Wayne State

Pros

I love working with students to better themselves.

Cons

I'm a contract employee. Therefore, I don't work during the summer months.

Fantastic place to work.

Former Employee - Training Director  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Training Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, colleagues, work-life balance. Ongoing efforts to better the institution.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

Perhaps give more recognition to outcome of training interventions developed and implemented.

Worked for Wayne State? Contribute to the Community!