Wayne State

Profile Unclaimed

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good.

Cons

Parking is expensive and promotions can be very difficult if you are not in the right circles despite your credentials.

Moving on up...

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great college culture, good people who are humble and very willing to help. The area around campus is really improving and thriving with an energy wonderful to be around.

Cons

On the lower end of the pay scale but decent benefits. Parking in and around campus is still an issue at times and much needed building upgrades are beginning to come to fruition a la the Student Center. Many more buildings and rest rooms still require renovations.

Work with adjunct faculty to leverage their knowledge and include more in decision making as well as begin providing full tuition reimbursement for both full and part-time employees along with immediate family members.

Good Learning Opportunities, Experienced Staff

Former Intern - Internal Audit Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Internal Audit Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Worked here as a student while completing my degrees. Management was very respectful of other time demands that I had and was happy to set up a flexible schedule. Experienced staff members helped the interns to develop their skills and continued to provide support throughout the length of the position. Hours were very reasonable, with little to no requirement to work overtime.

Cons

As with many large institutions, there's an element of bureaucracy when it comes to human resources. Pay is probably not competitive to private companies, particularly when considering recent cuts. Physical work environment, in terms of buildings and equipment, may be outdated relative to what is available beyond public education.

Better strategic planning for the University as a whole. More modern computer systems would make work more efficient.

Fantastically structure Police Department that is Connected to its' Community

Former Employee - Communications Controller in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Communications Controller in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is great. Benefits are wonderful. Team morale is awesome. Training is given to everyone and the department has the means to send their officers and dispatchers to training in other states.

Cons

communication between shift supervisors is sometimes lacking.

Get all Lt.'s and Sgt.'s to be on the same page as far as "how to handle runs".

Great Urban Research University

Current Employee - Administrator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Administrator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues and supportive staff. Wayne is in a great location and is making huge strides in certain research areas and I am proud to be a part of that.

Cons

Far too many administrative positions. Projects, requests, etc are all typically delayed due to going through so many channels. Too many office staff leads to high school type of drama and conflict. It can be very silly.

Streamline the administrative staff, its bloated, expensive and convoluted.

I loved working here while I was in school

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the people I worked with, hours were extremely flexible, nice way to build up your portfolio, laid back atmosphere, the customers were either new or were regulars

Cons

You have to pay for parking, traffic after work was bad, sometimes had to do other people's jobs to make sure they were done in a timely fashion, no room to grow after graduation

Keep up the good work! I miss working here. Smaller group of employees made the office more personal and welcoming.

work experience

I worked at Wayne State

Pros

good benefits both health and dental.
    room for growth
    good training programs

Cons

I did not find any

I'm working as a graduate teaching assistant,Great place to teach.Big diversity.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Ssistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Ssistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than a year)

Pros

We were give proper teaching training with seminars, orientations and weekly meetings.The administration is helpful.I can organize my classes as I wish.The ggrading procedure is also up to me.So I like that in-dependency.

Cons

The department I was teaching is not too big,But it equipped with all the required facilities.Salary is not really good.It's hard to reschedule the classes you are teaching in case of an emergency.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Active research. Salary is reasonable.

Cons

The area around campus isn't very nice. Relatively a long commute time. Detroit City Income Tax.

Stable place to work

Current Employee - Lead Applications Technical Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Applications Technical Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you're interested in building a nice retirement portfolio, continuing your education, and enjoy lots of vacation time. It's easy to have a pretty decent work/life balance.

Cons

The environment is increasingly becoming more corporate. The only exception is compensation. All people within a bargaining unit get the exact same raises so there is no motivation to go above and beyond.

Consider changes to policy and allow for rewards for good work.