WePay Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Bill Clerico

1. High Growth, Exciting Technology, Great Place to Work for Career Growth and Financial Security

I have been working at WePay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a veteran in silicon valley I have worked at many start ups that have gone through IPO and acquisition. I have never felt as excited about a company I work for as much as WePay. I've read reviews about execution and I don't understand, we're tackling monumental challenges that can't be fixed over night. The growth of WePay in the last year has been awesome and fun to be a part of, ranked #62 in Inc5000 two weeks ago. As we grow I'm really interested in the growth of my career and others. Management truly values the individual at WePay and wants to help each and everyone grow their career. They seem to really understand and get that each employee is NOT a number. The management team doesn't just talk about transparency and invest in relationships both externally and within but actual practice it to a point that I've never seen before. I'm not saying that everything is perfect and there aren't growing pains, as we double or triple the company size in a year keeping the core values they hold so important to them will be a challenge. But so far what I’ve seen is Management is investing a lot in their people infrastructure to address the rapid growth and work damn hard to make sure the core values don’t go anywhere as we grow. Overall, I'm here because I was won over by the people. The people at WePay is the #1 reason I'm here, I love coming to work......everything else can be tackled.

Cons

Scaling is challenging, I know a lot of time is being addressed in this area so keep tackling the challenge.

Advice to Management

Hyper growth comes with accelerated problems. Keeping an eye on those can be challenging. I feel the company is heading in the right direction, as any high paced company it won't take much to steer of course. Keep doing what you're doing while keeping an eye on the little things so they don't become problems. Overall, keep doing what you're doing!

2. A company proving that great people working hard can win in a big way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- A culture where people care about each other: the execs dedicate time to developing relationships with those around then - incredible career opportunity because of team growth - 50 employees in January of this year to 110 in August, en route to 175 by the end of the year - a product that serves some of the most interesting and disruptive internet companies out there

Cons

- work/life balance is respected by management but long days are very common due to the demands of growth

Advice to Management

Keep up the aggressive pace!!

3. Lots of good. Lots of potential

I have been working at WePay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Exciting growth in the exciting payments industry - Genuine culture of good people who care - So much opportunity to have an impact, which can be very motivating

Cons

- Steady growth is mostly good but we need to figure out how to work together as teams scale fast - Need more top-down push for process and prioritization rigor to do the right things better

Advice to Management

Keep doing a lot of what you're doing. Challenge for smarter efforts not just more efforts faster.

5. A Rocketship

I have been working at WePay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The management team is highly experienced and very professional. - Company culture is healthy and uplifting. The best way I can describe it is that the culture is unique blend of determination to win while remaining focused on supporting one another. Authenticity and innovation is celebrated and hard work is recognized. -Growing like crazy! The engineering team is hiring to meet demand and to set our company up for long-term success as we scale. - Many wonderful perks: free catered lunch, subsidized gym, unlimited Caltrain, stocked kitchen with snacks, team and company outings, stock options, comfortable work stations (excellent chairs and adjustable height desks so you can sit or stand), new office.

Cons

-Typical growing pains associated with a rapidly expanding startup: HR is virtually non-existent but that is being addressed promptly. Company orientation and on-boarding is still a work-in-process. -Long(ish) expected hours for a startup, and since lunch is catered, you can find yourself working all day with few breaks.

Advice to Management

- Get an HR team up and running to iron out kinks in company protocol and administration so that employees can be more effective at their jobs and not worry about simple things like benefits, payroll, etc. - Encourage better community as the company doubles in size.

6. Great Place to Work

I have been working at WePay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and if you want to do good work, you can make a difference here and be recognized for it. The culture is strong, the new office is great, and it feels like a team.

Cons

Some growing pains are here for sure, things are in flux, and the company has only seen growth so it is yet to be seen how it handles it's first (inevitable?) downturn. We seem to have a history of being too ambitious, but so far it has seemed to work.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Focus on a great product. Over deliver, under promise.

7. Laid-back execution ,commoditization of payments space will kill wepay.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food Lot to learn and try out The work that is required will really make engineers interested. Due to interesting work, engineers would love it, but when they notice how bad is the execution by management, the talented guys would start leaving.

Cons

The management team for some reason lacks aggression that's needed by a startup. That kind of explains why even after being private for past 8 years, they are no where near the IPO, in fact it almost seems as if the company may fall apart if they don't push the accelerator. Compensation is sub-par when compared to other startups of the same size. Strip is way ahead in the competition, not to mention other players like square & paypal. Benefits are not that good.

Advice to Management

Work day and night to get things on track. Stop over-promising and under-delivering.

A great start-up to work at

Current Employee - Engineering in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at a handful of successful start-ups (been through both an IPO & Acquisitions) and WePay is at the top of the list as far as opportunity, culture and people are concerned. Business is skyrocketing (as is the companies growth) and the work is meaningful. There aren't too many opportunities like this that come around and I can say I love coming to work everyday!

Cons

This is a start-up, nothing is guaranteed.

9. Disapointed

Pros

Great lunches and some staff.

Cons

Horrible management needs to be more proactive.

Weak management culture, more politics, Execs - rude, complacent and arrogant

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at WePay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get to learn lot of things The company provides food

Cons

The execs over here expect you to churn out code at faster pace and don't care much about error handling and code quality. Many talented people have already left the company. Payments business world is already crowded and wepay is unfortunately one more payments startup The company vision keeps changing as a result the company lacks focus. The exec board do play politics which is really bad for a growing company like wepay. With tons of other startups in Bay Area, I am sure you will find something better.

Advice to Management

Grow up and don't be complacent. value your engineers and listen to their perspective as they know better than anyone else as far as code quality is concerned. Don't be rude and arrogant to your employees.

Great team, exciting business opportunity

I have been working at WePay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Rapid growth mode, so talented employees have lots of opportunity to spread their wings and grow professionally - Open, transparent culture that encourages feedback - Mature, experienced management team with genuine commitment to values

Cons

- Some growing pains - the "champagne problems" of a company on a fast growth trajectory

Advice to Management

- Don't lose the fun as we grow into a more mature organization. Use this exciting growth as an opportunity to keep promoting from within.

RSS Feed </> Embed