WePay

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
3.2

Bill Clerico

Great company in an exciting industry

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at WePay full-time

Pros

Big customers, revenue is growing fast, the product solves a real problem, our customers value our services, casual but professional working environment, strong executive team, energetic working environment, lots of freedom.

Cons

The company has evolved a lot, so there are some growing pains around internal communication. There has been some turnover in the engineering leadership, which has caused our engineering team to struggle (though it looks like we're making some big investments there). Tough competition; highly regulated industry, which can be frustrating.

time is running out, we need to turn this ship around!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is "relaxed". If you stay in the office after 6:30 pm, you usually have the place to yourself. The two co-founders are genuinely nice guys. Awesome snacks and game room!

Cons

The flip-side of the laid-back atmosphere is a low level of desire for success. Sure there is frantic activity after a site outage, but only until the site is back up again, then everyone seems to forget it even happened.

Please stop being so complacent. We are begins slaughtered by competitors much newer than WePay. Our engineering infrastructure is horrible and everyone including the founders know it. Add to that the fact that the frequency of negative customer reviews has increased dramatically over the past year. Just about every payments review site we have looked at recently includes numerous reviews referring to WePay as a "fraud" or "scam" WePay is a legitimate business, there are honest well intentioned people here, but the company is broken.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior API Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior API Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined last year as the first female engineer. It has been a great ride. I have learned so much in the last year that I learned in four years at Harvard. The people that work here are probably some of the best people I have met in my career. Such patience, such tenacity, such passion, and such intelligence. I wake up every day looking forward to work (and let me tell you, I have been at companies where that was definitely not the case). Everyday comes a new challenge at work and new opportunities for me to grow and expand my reach. You get to grow, grow, grow. They will push you to go beyond your potential in a good way.

Cons

I would say the food for sure. It is sooo good. Haha. But if you can learn some self control, you will be fine. :)

We need more engineers especially female ones!

Stay away from this company

I have been working at WePay

Pros

Good technology and good opportunities for learning

Cons

There is a lot of bad culture and bad quality of work being done here and thats going to bring the company down.People consider there ego much more than hardwork and this causes plenty of bad code being written and there is absolutely no sharing of information/no documentation.Developers have done this on purpose to safegaurd their job (job-security?).People dont feel comfortable sharing information to a new person joining team since they consider their job might be at stake.

Lot of office politics.Please try to hear to your employees and bring in a healthy culture that is conducive for working .

No clear direction

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at WePay full-time

Pros

Free lunch, stocked kitchen, and open vacation policy.

Cons

Code base is poor/old and there's no desire to update. Competition is eating their lunch and management doesn't seem to care. Outages are frequent and innovations have been sidelined. Mentality is like a fraternity at times.

Its time for the founders to step down. This company has been around since 2008 and still isn't profitable. That should tell you something. Don't let people go simply because you don't agree with their ideas, this creates a high turnover situation.

A slowly dying company.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at WePay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, especially the 2 founders. Some $$ in the bank from a recent funding round.

Cons

Very poor engineering infrastructure. Outages occurred regularly and nothing was ever learned from them.

WePay.com has been around 6 years is still unprofitable and no sign that will change anytime soon. The founders are trying to encourage optimism from another pivot but still with the same rotting engineering foundation.

Look at the competition in this space; WePay is getting killed by younger more aggressive competitors.

broken product, low morale, no real leadership

I have been working at WePay

Pros

open vacation policy, free lunch/snacks, emerging company

Cons

High turnover lately which makes me question if I should start looking for another job.

Competitors are out innovating them. But thats not even the biggest problem, the bigger problem is having a product that doesn't work as it stands now. There are a lot of reliability issues and bugs with it.

We're in a situation where we don't have enough of engineering resources which means we can't simultaneously fix whats broken and focus on innovation and expansion

I love our founders, they are great people. However, it may be time for them to step aside and allow more experienced leaders to step in to take the company to the next level.

Great people, always improving--great internship!

Former Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at WePay as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Focused on intern success
    Constant feedback
    Great company culture
    Very focused on employee happiness
    Always trying to improve company focus
    Great CEO

Cons

Limited project availability
    Not much project diversification

Keep it up and don't be afraid to set aggressive goals!

Fast growing, innovative company with great culture

I have been working at WePay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

WePay is a really fun company to work for - that's because the company spends a lot of time on two things 1) pushing the envelope to be innovative and 2) listening to employees and focusing on a great culture. I'm always encouraged to be creative. Moreover, executive leadership is always open to listening to me and they are very transparent. Plus, you get the excitement of a fast growing start-up and while we work hard, people are pretty respectful of work/life balance as well - which I didn't expect in a start-up.

Cons

Payments is really interesting but just a complex and sometimes challenging space. You have to be ready to constantly be thinking about risk and regulation - whether you are in product, support, engineering or marketing.

I work with an intelligent hard-working group of people changing online payments

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at WePay

Pros

People love what we are doing. We love what we are doing. Happy users equal growth.

Cons

You better work hard, which is not a downside to me.

Keep innovating and taking risks.

WePay Photos