Weather Channel Reviews

90 reviews filtered by
  • Atlanta, GA Area
Weather Channel Chairman & CEO David Kenny
David Kenny

1. Great company, passionate about the weather, and second to none in the industry.

Former Employee - Client Solutions in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Solutions in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel

Pros

As an intern, you will love the employees here. They're very helpful and understanding while you're in the critical learning phases.

Cons

Organization could use some work.

none.

A Scathing Opinion of a Culture of Backstabbing, Self-Aggrandizement and Duplicity

Former Employee - Digital Editor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Digital Editor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are many incredible people that work at The Weather Channel. Most are extraordinarily passionate journalists and meteorologists; they made the days much more tolerable.

The Weather Channel has many journalistic and meteorological resources in its "war chest." These resources allow to people within the company to be better storytellers and meteorologists. Forecasts are often dead-on and have better lead-times than competitors.

Cons

Where to begin?

Let me preface the following with this: It's been nearly a year since I parted ways with The Weather Channel and despite the murky circumstances surrounding my dismissal in 2014, I remained silent.

That said, recently a member of The Weather Channel staff – a manager no less – actively engaged in slandering me to a potential employer, just this last week.

Given this latest revelation, I figured I would opine a piece regarding my time at The Weather Channel.

Here's the gist of it:

Based on my experiences and in my opinion, employees are treated like a cog in a corporate mega-machine. Don't expect to have the boundaries of a work-life balance respected if you choose to accept employment at the company.

It's my opinion that favoritism and underhanded politics are pervasive in the digital department at The Weather Channel. Based on my experiences and in my opinion, middle managers in my former department often collude with one another to discredit direct reports they don't like and, many times, to undermine upper management.

These middle managers see themselves as an omnipotent presence lurking over the shoulders of many of their employees. They lack empathy, leadership prowess and any appreciable managerial skills. They see themselves as infallible and since there are no consequences for their Machiavellian style of management, they continue to push good employees out.

This is exactly what happened to me and unfortunately I'm not alone. During my nine months at The Weather Channel, I observed at least three of my – experienced, well-educated and hard-working – co-workers unceremoniously kicked to the curb.

In the time since my questionable termination, additional people have been terminated, marginalized or "repositioned."

It's my opinion, based on my experiences and the experiences of other former co-workers, that the culture of my former department is rooted in the principles of duplicity, nefariousness and corporate anarchy.

It's my sincere hope that things will change. But, with Comcast/NBC, Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group as their corporate overlords, I doubt an appreciable change will happen at The Weather Channel anytime soon.

It's my opinion that TWC top brass should fire all of the rotten middle management that keeps tossing aside good talent because they "don't like them."

They're putting the reputation of the entire multi-billion-dollar organization at risk.

3. Wonderful company

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This company has really smart and forward thinking people working on it. They are experts in their field.

Cons

They are going through change management but they are progressive about getting feedback from their employees.

Stay focused and ensure the teams understand the Digital space.

5. Good and the Bad

Former Employee - Video Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Video Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great environment, competitive yet professional and very team oriented

Cons

unstable job security, disconnect from top management, very corporate environment

Very competitive, revolving door

6. Lots of Change Makes People Uncomfortable ...

I have been working at Weather Channel

Pros

Casual work environment with great co-workers. Mets and scientists everywhere who all have a passion for what they do and want to do great work and help people save lives and property. Not very political. Plenty of PhD's and smart people.

Cons

The industry is changing rapidly and so is this company. Not everyone is the best and brightest. Digital seems to be in a better place than television, but that is true across the industry.

Some of the leaders are just not strong. Replace them. Have more fun. Reward and celebrate.

Positive Spirit, Changing Priorities but Trying to Evolve with the times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who work hard and deal with the many changes that seem consistent every several of months.

Cons

Difficult to understand each area's mission. By the time you do, it changes.

State clear goals and stick to them in a simple and clear fashion. Commit yourself to the teams that work hard and right there in line with what you determine is the course.

Great people to work with, but being there was a boulevard of broken dreams and promises

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice, friendly coworkers who are generally easy to deal with. Everyone seems to step up during severe weather coverage to deliver a top-notch product.

Cons

Company seemed to nickel-and-dime workers out of opportunities for shift differential and bonuses. "Keystone Kops" mentality regarding staffing and executives. Philosophy seems to be that if something doesn't work, reorganize and reshuffle/cut the rank and file. "Turf wars" among departments can be common, even for the most innocuous. Department chiefs seem unwilling to speak with people directly -- they always go through your supervisor.

Many Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time

Pros

Exciting industry to work in/with. working on changing the way in which everyone works. Improving facilities. You can make a difference in people's lives.

Cons

Not a great clear direction on what they want. Far too much concern over departmental P&L instead of overall company success/failure in that space and others. Loss of sight of the human aspect of the employees.

More Cons than Pros

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exciting place to work. Lots of innovation.

Cons

After the sale, we had layoffs almost every year. We never had bonuses (even though the company makes a ton of money). People work 12 hour days. Offices changed into a chaotic open-floor plan. It seems they have done everything to kill productivity and morale. The things we work on is exciting, it's just not a good place to work.

Stop hiring more VPs while the workers need more headcount. Stop over promising and under-delivering to our ownership.

11. Good company overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, innovative people. Interesting work. High impact. Great brand recognition.

Cons

Work duplication due to turf wars. Departments must compete for limited promotions.

The turf wars are very harmful to the organization, as they cause confusion for people who are just trying to get the job done. There's a mentality that if my team creates it first, I have to own it. In the end, we have three of everything, which hurts the bottom line and makes people feel as if their work isn't important. Empire builders have no place in a high performance company.