Weather Channel

Weather Channel Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Weather Channel Chairman & CEO David Kenny

David Kenny

Pros
  • Very flexible in terms of work life balance (depending on your department) (in 7 reviews)

• Great people who know their stuff, open minded managers who actually listen to ideas (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is awful, and there is zero respect or value towards sales (in 8 reviews)

• The lack of people of color in upper management is disheartening (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Make sure this is the career path for you

Production Technician I (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCasual work environment. Friendly staff. Family like atmosphere.

Cons24/7 company. Tight budgets (salaries and company social events). Limited parking spaces.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more understand. A 24/7 lifestyle isn't an easy lifestyle. We see our coworkers more than we see our family and the dynamic should be a positive one but that's not possible without the influence of management.

Great!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearn cross platform in order to improve and grow,

ConsLimited leadership due to who you are assigned to.

Advice to Senior ManagementTough but good

Constant state of flux - TWC betrayed its roots

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMulti-faceted organization, have a chance to interface with many different business activities. Also, say what you want, this is an ambitious company with two major acquisitions (Weather Underground and Weather Central) during my tenure.

ConsThe Weather Channel was supposed to be about weather; instead, it became about sensationalism and pretty faces. They let go some quintessential meteorologists in favor of the Sam Champions of the world which degraded their credibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the weather, not garbage shows that people don't watch.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great co-workers. Constant change.

Senior Director (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCo-workers who genuinely care about their work and are very good at their jobs
    Benefits
    My manager demanded high performance

ConsIncredibly high and sustained stress:
    The velocity of change makes it difficult to provide consistent quality work
    Work-life balance is a very real challenge (people are "always on" and the perception is that the employees are to give all to the company without question, no matter what).
    Due to the varying natures of work, an open floor plan for every department isn't necessarily the right plan for every department.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is good and necessary to stay relevant. Constant change with "everything" being a top priority (or the perception that everything is a top priority) is contributing to workplace unhappiness. You'll never make everybody happy, so focus on trying to make the majority of your A & B players happy. Give them time to decompress and disconnect (and mean it), give them training, give them growth opportunities and reward them financially and through recognition, give them flexibility with their schedules (and mean it), tell them they are doing a good job (and mean it). Be present for those people - they need to think you care and hear their concerns. Even if you really don't care, pretend to (but just don't be obvious about it). Cameron Clayton and Bill Higgs are great examples of upper management that know how to be present for the employees. It makes a difference in perceptions even if it can't make a difference in actual workload. That's something at least.

David Kenny - Explain to the employees why you are networking instead of being in Atlanta HQ. It might help if people understand why you are rarely there and why you need to be elsewhere (ie to move the business forward, etc.). Also, perhaps explain to them that they have leadership there in Atlanta that they can depend on, so they really don't need you to be there (even though they perceive you do). And once you tell them, tell them again and again. Many of your employees perceive you as completely disconnected from them. Perception is reality so there's a bit of challenge for you to connect with your top players and not just your highest paid employees. You don't have time for the hand-holding no doubt, but during all the change, your employees need to perceive that your hand is at least out-stretched.

Turnarounds are challenging, but rarely will you have a chance to learn this much

ProsGood momentum, lots to learn

ConsIts a turnaround, its challenging

Nice company to work for

Prosthe overall core ompany values

Consthe lack of promotion opportunities

Bright, Friendly and State of the Art Tech Savvy

Writer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsA loyal audience and an ambitious model for future growth makes this one of television's must stable propositions. In the meantime, an ambitious programming schedule is in place to lure in new viewers and a broadening demographic. The Weather Channel is poised for exponential growth in coming years.

ConsHeadquartered in Atlanta, the main offices can occasionally feel cloistered from the major media markets of the Northeast.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in unparalleled technical knowhow- this is your bread and butter and no one does it better, or even comes close.

Among The Worst Sales Cultures In The Business

ProsOverall there are some very good and talented people. The new direction of the company, ad products and benefits to potential partners as well as users is fantastic.

ConsSenior management is unorganized, inexperienced and arrogant. Work life balance is awful, and there is zero respect or value towards sales. Revenue expectations are unrealistic, and there's a general inferiority complex amongst senior management when comparing marketplace position and relevance to some of the bigger players like Facebook, Google and even Twitter.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a proven leadership team who's collective sales management experience is more than 2 years.

Overall Not So Great

Pros-People are nice for the most part. Some of the fellow employees may coming to work pleasant.
    -Very devoted staff that dedicate long work hours to make iterations a success.

Cons-There are a lot of moving parts
    -Some people in various departments may create a hostile working environment.
    -The processes that are in place are "okay", not great.
    -While there are meetings that are created to "decide", others may create small meetings to "inform." In other words, there are certain procedures that are presented without input from the rest of the team. Some questions/comments/suggestions may be dismissed or treated as of no importance.
    -May experience instances where crunching deadlines may cause tension amongst fellow employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to create a worker-friendly environment, please keep a closer eye on everyone.

The Weather Channel has been an amazing place to work so far !

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI really feel like I'm working for Google, Apple or some sort of Silicon Valley startup in many ways.
    We are very forward looking with regards to technology, have a progressive work environment that supports every lifestyle and personal schedule conceivable and I really couldn't be happier with my decision to come onboard here.

ConsFor a company that has been around for 3+ decades, the lack of mature processes, policies and internal structures is stunning.
    That being said, there have been great strides made in the right direction just in the past 4 months and I am confidant that TWC is on the right track.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on.
    I love working here, honestly believe the current management team "gets it" and we are headed in the right direction.

Worked for Weather Channel? Contribute to the Community!