Weather Channel Reviews

151 reviews filtered by
2.9
Weather Channel Chairman & CEO David Kenny
David Kenny

Pros
  • Very flexible in terms of work life balance (depending on your department) (in 7 reviews)

• Great people who know their stuff, open minded managers who actually listen to ideas (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is awful, and there is zero respect or value towards sales (in 8 reviews)

• The lack of people of color in upper management is disheartening (in 11 reviews)

Great People but not very great process

I have been working at Weather Channel

Pros

People at the weather channel are some of the greatest minds i got to work with in my career.

Cons

The process needs to improve significantly.

Advice to Management

Be in touch with your employees.

Cheap company

Current Employee - N/A in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - N/A in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Weather Channel

Pros

Great talent but HR And middle management doesn't recognize.

Cons

They don't pay market salary. They don't have perks.

Advice to Management

If you know you are paying your top talent way under market step up and make a change. If you have a team member that goes the extra mile and never complains then reward them with a market pay raise.

Poorly run organization

I worked at Weather Channel full-time

Pros

Good work/life benefits, excellent benefits

Cons

Poorly run organization, management lacks direction and focus, overall strategy is poor

Worst company I have ever worked for - beware!

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, nice co-workers. The meteorologists, TV and digital sales teams seem to have a more positive work environment. They work on a high-tech floor with open, collaborative environment.

Cons

Weak leadership: unethical, petty, not collaborative, unprofessional. D level talent
    Terrible work environment: no resources, cheap, squeeze resources to the point of exhaustion
    High turnover of employees and leadership; no stability
    Private equity environment - enough said! Leaders and owners don't care about the employees; only care about closing a sale or IPO
    Throughout the ATL metro area, terrible reputation - will be hard to recover from it

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, work to be more cohesive and professional. Witnessed so many talented hires leave in a short amount of time. Telling.

6. Fantastic place to work.

I have been working at Weather Channel

Pros

There is a great diversity for those looking to broaden their expierence and also a massive amount of business comradery.

Cons

This is a very new age type of environment, very open doors and can be over whelming for those not used to the almost over friendliness. Other then that there is really nothing negative that is not at any other job.

Advice to Management

Love working here and will stay as long as they'll have me.

7. Great company, passionate about the weather, and second to none in the industry.

Former Employee - Client Solutions in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Solutions in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel

Pros

As an intern, you will love the employees here. They're very helpful and understanding while you're in the critical learning phases.

Cons

Organization could use some work.

Advice to Management

none.

8. I enjoyed working at the Weather Channel

I worked at Weather Channel

Pros

A good production staff, up-to-date equipment, professional on-air personalities and a good, on-site cafeteria make this a solid environment for production personnel and graphic artists/producers.

Cons

They need more parking on-site. There can be some politics that can interfere with getting the work done in a timely manner. Lots of different shifts that require a while to get used to.

A Scathing Opinion of a Culture of Backstabbing, Self-Aggrandizement and Duplicity

Former Employee - Digital Editor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Digital Editor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are many incredible people that work at The Weather Channel. Most are extraordinarily passionate journalists and meteorologists; they made the days much more tolerable.

The Weather Channel has many journalistic and meteorological resources in its "war chest." These resources allow to people within the company to be better storytellers and meteorologists. Forecasts are often dead-on and have better lead-times than competitors.

Cons

Where to begin?

Let me preface the following with this: It's been nearly a year since I parted ways with The Weather Channel and despite the murky circumstances surrounding my dismissal in 2014, I remained silent.

That said, recently a member of The Weather Channel staff – a manager no less – actively engaged in slandering me to a potential employer, just this last week.

Given this latest revelation, I figured I would opine a piece regarding my time at The Weather Channel.

Here's the gist of it:

Based on my experiences and in my opinion, employees are treated like a cog in a corporate mega-machine. Don't expect to have the boundaries of a work-life balance respected if you choose to accept employment at the company.

It's my opinion that favoritism and underhanded politics are pervasive in the digital department at The Weather Channel. Based on my experiences and in my opinion, middle managers in my former department often collude with one another to discredit direct reports they don't like and, many times, to undermine upper management.

These middle managers see themselves as an omnipotent presence lurking over the shoulders of many of their employees. They lack empathy, leadership prowess and any appreciable managerial skills. They see themselves as infallible and since there are no consequences for their Machiavellian style of management, they continue to push good employees out.

This is exactly what happened to me and unfortunately I'm not alone. During my nine months at The Weather Channel, I observed at least three of my – experienced, well-educated and hard-working – co-workers unceremoniously kicked to the curb.

In the time since my questionable termination, additional people have been terminated, marginalized or "repositioned."

It's my opinion, based on my experiences and the experiences of other former co-workers, that the culture of my former department is rooted in the principles of duplicity, nefariousness and corporate anarchy.

It's my sincere hope that things will change. But, with Comcast/NBC, Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group as their corporate overlords, I doubt an appreciable change will happen at The Weather Channel anytime soon.

Advice to Management

It's my opinion that TWC top brass should fire all of the rotten middle management that keeps tossing aside good talent because they "don't like them."

They're putting the reputation of the entire multi-billion-dollar organization at risk.

Worst employment experience

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-- Decent benefits
    -- Generally speaking, nice "rank and file" employees

Cons

- Poor management, starting from HR and going up
    - Bullying tolerated

11. Great people with a lot of potential.

Former Employee - Salesplanner in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Salesplanner in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Weather Channel

Pros

Great colleagues. There's potential for job growth.

Cons

Not a strong presence among those on the executive level.