Weather Shield Manufacturing

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.3

Edward Lee Schield

Fun company moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Weather Shield Manufacturing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting products, fast paced environment, autonomy are hallmarks of the sales organization. Good communication and feedback throughout the company keeps everyone informed.

Cons

Too much turnover in upper management. Base compensation should be better for what is expected of their sales force. Can achieve highly if you have the right territory

Listen to the customer more. They are the keys to success.

High turnover equates to no commitment to retention practices.

Former Employee - Lead Person
    Former Employee - Lead Person

I worked at Weather Shield Manufacturing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Skill level required is very low

Cons

Hours are volatile, limited ability to advance.

Upper management is limited by ownership (my guess)

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Medford, WI
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Medford, WI

I worked at Weather Shield Manufacturing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great engineering group, very nice corporate office environment. I had a full-time internship and the learning experience was good for a larger company.

Cons

The company is a little old-school and stuffy for a non-metro corporation. I wish I could have had a more well rounded experience while being in school still.

Younger employees value culture, freedom of expression, and the ability to contribute creatively. Take or leave it, it's an untapped resource for any company.

Beware

I worked at Weather Shield Manufacturing full-time

Pros

None. You could make more money with any other employer.

Cons

Tight fisted family owners. Place no value on their employees.

Open up your wallet and take care of your people.

Greed and poor managing

Former Employee - Supervisor in Medford, WI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Medford, WI

I worked at Weather Shield Manufacturing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

none and getting worse by the day

Cons

pay 20% less and more crap than before

sell it to a person that has a brain to manage it !

A wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Weather Shield Manufacturing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, great products,great owners

Cons

pay could bea little better

listen to sugesstions from employees

Dissatisfied with how I am treated.

Current Employee - Leadperson in Park Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Leadperson in Park Falls, WI

I have been working at Weather Shield Manufacturing

Pros

You do good work, you will eventually be recognized or promoted.

Cons

Lots of game playing by owners and management.
    As of right now not a lot of hours due to slow economy.
    No 401 k match, no holiday pay, no raise in 4 years, took 20% of pay.
    Benefits have gone backwards.
    Owners care about owners, not anybody else.
    Incentive pay is a joke, they adjust it so its not possible to hit it.
    Nobody cares about quality cause are not treated fair

Invest in your employees, people will work harder if you pay and treat them right. How about profit sharing? The quality would go way up but you would have to part with some of your millions. You run your company like its the early 1900's. No forward thinking. To have employees that care you have to honestly care about them with your wallet and benefits.

It's a step up from being unemployed (but not much of one)

Current Employee - Service Manager in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Wausau, WI

I have been working at Weather Shield Manufacturing

Pros

In this economy, if you need a job, it is one. But if you have a choice or other options, use them.

Cons

Promotions are based upon beauty contests that have nothing to do with experience or competence. Yearly bonuses? Try a $10 coupon for Butterball Turkeys.
    Home life? It can and will be destroyed by the lack of time you have for yourself.
    Support from your superiors? Forget about it.
    Job security? I would not make any purchases where you have payments stretched out over more than a few months as they have a tendency of downsizing or eliminating positions without notice.
    Wage freezes were the norm for years prior to the economic downturn.

This could be a good organization to work for if it showed the same loyalty to it's employees that they have shown to the company.

"Beat daily for no rewards"

I have been working at Weather Shield Manufacturing

Pros

We all need a job to make a living, so I guess you have to say that this is a job that will barely do that for you. It definately beats unemployment not sure if it will get you out of the underempolyment catagory though. Reductions in wages 3 times in the past 2 years has the pay just over poverty, but at least we can still drive to work with a lunch box in hand.

Cons

Until 2004 it wasn't a half bad place to work, since then they have done nothing but blame their people and take, take, take. They have removed Holiday pay completely. They don't match any 401k benifits but set up automatic increases for you to contribute. Health insurance has sky rocketed under their own policy and the covered expenses of it won't allow you to have any sort of coverage without paying more to do so. Wages have been steadily decreasing for the past 2-3 years. 2 seperate decreases of 2.5 % then an increase of 2.5% only to take that 2.5% away again after a year. They don't fix anything that is very detrimental to the quality of the product and the process of making it last for the customer. Then they don't stand behind the product when it fails for the customer. They spend millions on a friend attorny to fight the battles of their customers failures, and the empolyees claims, but they never do anything wrong, they simply don't want to pay anything. You can even have your identity stolen by one of thir vendors but it's not thier fault and they'll assist you by giving you the government stolen identiy numbers to start the process if rebuilding your finacial live that they were not to concerned to protect. If you are a desperate person trying to have bread and water for a lunch box while you try to carpool but spend most of your time waiting for your fellow carpoolers in the parking lot because they sent you home early, get an application and fill it out fast. They are always hiring because most of the good workers (smart ones) have left for better lives, but hey, once you eat your lunch and get sent home early, you can use your lunch box to help the rest of us bail the water from this sinking ship.

COMMUNICATE to your people wheather you like them or not, the days of slavery are long gone. You can blame the econonmy for only so long and we are waaayyyy past the economy doing the damage. Our competetors are doing it better, for more money to start, and much better benifits then you. You take away and then want want want. Take a look at what Gates does with his employees, he meets with them daily puts all ideas good and bad on the table and they ALL sort through good ideas and processes to make everyone profitalbe. Quit looking for more hunting land and sites to build another vacation house on and get to the task of running a good company, you need to act like you care even if you obveiously don't. You walk through your plants with managers, supervisors, and engineers, but those on the bottom tell daily the ones walking with you about issues yet they act like they don't have time nor care enough to fix what's broke, not squareing correctly, not fitting correctly, or might just be a little better way to make it more profitable and easier to do. Remember, someday we will all pay our dues and so will you. Good Luck ! you're going to need that and much much more if you don't change what's in the mirror.

It's a job in a recession.

Current Employee - Customer Relations
    Current Employee - Customer Relations

I have been working at Weather Shield Manufacturing

Pros

I have a job in a mainly jobless nation right now. The overall work is not hard, the customers are good to deal with.

Cons

There are no advancement opportunities at all in this company. It doesn't matter how long you have been here or how hard you work, you will get treated the same as Joe Blow off the street. Besides having to take a 20% pay cut in the past year and a half, we have had to endure no holiday pay, no 401k match, no pay increases (obviously). We understand that times are tough and things need to happen, but with the employees taking the blow, the owners continue to expand their company and products, to put more into their million dollar pockets. The owners really do not care how they "earn" their money, just that it makes it to their hands. They really do not care about the employees at all. I should be grateful to have a job in a time like this, but it makes it very hard to be positive when you are in such a negative atmosphere day after day.

Stop being so concerned for "your" company and give a little more to the people who make your millions happen. When you care about your employees, you get more back. Respect is the key, we want some.