Web International English

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
3.2

CEO

It was an amazing experience.

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cultural and language immersion. You can network with many other nationalities. Help others.

Cons

Not knowing the local spoken language. In large cities, this usually not a problem.

Please use more efficient agents that can help guide the foreign teachers through the visa process and help grant work visas.

Good for the wrong reasons

Current Employee - ESL Teacher
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at Web International English full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, the best thing about working for this company was the ability to make friends with the students. Most of the students are over twenty, and they often were willing to take the teachers out to dinner and hang out. The teaching itself is really easy, because lessons plans are already provided... after you teach a lesson a couple times, you barely need to prepare anything. The only lesson you really have to prepare for are demos, and English Corner, which is a free topic. Some Webs request different levels at different times during the week, but the one I was at asked me to do one for all levels. The pay is really good. I was paid 7000 rmb for the first two trial months, 8000rmb the next four months and 9000rmb for the remainder of my contract (6months). I probably couldn't requested 10,000 or 11,000 rmb a month if I chose to remain another year. The pay is the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Apparently if you stay a few years, you can move up to bigger cities like Shanghai, and request positions with more responsibility, and higher pay. You're also only teaching at max 5 classes a day. Sometimes I only taught 2 classes a day, but you still get paid the full amount.

Cons

The main thing was the difference of culture. My supervisor didn't enjoy being my supervisor, nor did she want to help me with my Visa needs. She consistently reminded me this wasn't supposed to be her job and was only helping me because Human Resources didn't speak English. That's a huge joke to me. Human Resources doesn't speak English? This is apparently not the only Web where this problem happened. The heads of the school seemed to do little to nothing, and almost spoke the least amount of English. The office was also very catty. My fellow foreign teacher and I almost left because we were so sick of the rampant gossip that happened right in front of us. Some of the employees were not aware we spoke Mandarin and would talk openly about us. This got out of control. There was little to no training, aside from me reading a powerpoint, and asked not to discuss the three T's: Tibet, Tiananmen Square, and Taiwan. Your advice for the company is not taken. Overall I didn't even finish my contract. I left 3 months early. My supervisor had a super negative attitude that I couldn't stand.

Management really needs to work on having the foreign teachers connect with the rest of the company. Sometimes I hardly felt like an employee, and was clearly in the understanding that my opinion about things didn't matter. Treat your foreign teachers like they apart of the company, which they are! Include them in business meetings! Why are you having employee meetings but you don't invite the most important employees? The teachers!

Easygoing, relaxing work environment

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff, teachers and students are mostly friendly and easy to work with. The job is clearly defined so that you don't need to do much prep work in advance, especially after doing it for a couple months. It's an ok job if you are a new grad looking for work to stay or travel in China. For more career oriented people, the potential salary is a bit disappointing.

Cons

Low salary and not much room for growth either. Lessons can be boring after teaching the same lesson several times, especially low level lessons. Some lesson plans seem old and out-dated

Need to update lesson plans more regularly, encourage student/teacher involvement in this.

A good small company that's open to innovation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Web International English

Pros

Web International is a small company with a friendly atmosphere where innovation is accepted and you can get as much out of it as you're willing to put in.

Cons

Web International suffers from many of the problems that plague small companies, primary among them being a hunger for growth by managment that cannot be met by the production team resulting in backed up schedules and pressure for long hours.

The best way to address the issue of being backed up in production would be to choose a point of focus regarding the types of projects to be accepted. This would allow more specialization to be built up by the production team and would allow better quality to be produced more quickly in these specialized areas.

Teaching in a suburb of Shanghai, China.

Current Employee - Foreign Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Foreign Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is well established and stable. The teaching curriculum is provided and is effective. The teaching team and structure for teaching is successful. The company pays what it promises and has some opportunity for advancement for foreign teachers. National employees and managers will help you when you ask them.

Cons

There are all the challenges of living in a foreign country and dealing with language barriers and paperwork. The company provides some support for this, but you have to be ready to go out on your own and manage. The Chinese people are usually friendly and will help you if they can. You are allowed 1/2 hour of Chinese language teaching, but you have to keep asking for it each week. The national teachers do not have much idea of how to teach language, as China's technique is to have students memorize in formation. The lessons can become repetitive after teaching them multiple times. The classes rotate constantly and you don't know what you will be teaching from one day to the next, so you do not follow students through from beginning to end, but this is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Continue to update the curriculum and way of doing business. Continue to listen to the teachers for lesson improvement. Provide a transition packet for new teachers to provide them with basic information on their city and transportation, etc.

NEVER WORK AT WEB!

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Nantong, Jiangsu (China)
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Nantong, Jiangsu (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the students, I love China, I'm a great teacher, I like the people in China (just not in Web).

Cons

Rather than write a long rant, I'll just bullet point SOME of the reasons to never work at Web

-The lied to me in the interview to get me to work for them. They said the VISA would be covered. When I got here, they said they actually cover the residency permit-a totally different thing (and the contract used the word VISA). I paid for all expenses associated with getting the residency permit so, basically, they don't cover anything

-They said I would be working in Nantong. I actually work in Rugao (a "branch" of Nantong, over an hour away). To get the residency worked out, I had to make 4 trips into Nantong and back at a moment's notice-- hours of riding around on a loud uncomfortable bus.

-The Rugao branch isn't licensed to hire foreign teachers (so, on paper I work in Nantong). They also didn't register my residence in Rugao. I didn't find out about any of this until the police followed me home.

-They told me it would be "no problem" to get two days off in a row. That was a lie, and it means that I can't go on a short trip to visit other parts of China. I've barely left this small town.

-The told me I would get free Chinese lessons. That was a lie.

-They refuse to give me my foreign expert certificate-- which is totally illegal.

-Rugao is OK, but there isn't much to do. There are only 4 other foreigners in the city and-because I didn't get Chinese lessons- it's lonely and boring.

-Sometimes they talk about me in Chinese (with me in the room). Most of the time they entirely ignore me. They make ZERO effort to make me feel welcome and like I'm part of the team.

-They lie to me all the time. They don't communicate at all or tell me about things that are going on. For example, they told me AS I was leaving work at 9PM that I was teaching an 2 HOUR extracurricular lesson the next morning--OUTSIDE in a busy square, without any materials or help.

-They cheated me on my salary, on my very first paycheck.

-They use foreign teachers as a sales product: all the walls are made from glass so potential customers can walk through and watch the exotic foreigners.

-they didn't help me get set up at all. It took 2 months to set up my bank account, almost 3 to get my residency worked out.

-The told me I would be teaching "1 to 2" English Corner lessons a week (the lessons I have to plan myself). I actually teach 4, and I'm the only person who does them. It's very hard to come up with so many new ideas every week, and I also spend a lot of free time planning lessons.

-Business English is not a separate course, so anyone who reaches a certain level of fluency must take it. I have lots of 13 year old students with zero interest in business taking the course.

-The "overtime rate" is a joke. It works out to be the same pay as a regular class. so they always want me to do more classes.

-Be honest with employees. don't lie to them. Pay them fairly and in full. No tricks or games. Pay for the VISA. Raise the overtime rate.

-Help ESL teachers adjust: make them feel welcome and part of the team. Give them Chinese lessons. Give them the time and encouragement to explore China. Make an effort to befriend them.

-Value employees who work really hard and are trying to make the experience positive. Get rid of teachers who are lazy and useless. They have done the opposite here in Rugao.

-Offer advancement opportunities for ESL teachers.

-Make business English an elective course

Easy, relatively relaxed teaching position

Current Employee - English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Preplanned lessons. Small classes. Max of 5 classes per day

Cons

Constantly changing management. Management bad with communication to employees. School is all business. Job is customer service more than teaching.

An awesome teaching experience in Shanghai.

I worked at Web International English full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Probably the best large ESL chain in China. Incredibly kind, friendly management and co-workers, GREAT students (teaching ADULTS), OK curriculum that can be easily adjusted, great pay and benefits, only 40 hour work-weeks that are maximum 5 hours/day of teaching.

NOTE: I worked in Shanghai. In other cities, experiences may vary. ALWAYS TALK TO AT LEAST 2 CURRENT TEACHERS AT ANY SCHOOL YOU ARE EVER THINKING OF TEACHING. That the school's manager welcomed me to do this was a great sign.

Cons

Although the actual schools' management is great, HR is often inept, overworked, and/or unavailable. Part of the problem is China's deliberately bewildering visa policies and rapid, unannounced changes. Depending on which location you work in, you can teach many seminars that require lots of work. Difficulty recruiting enough foreign teachers can lead to some bizarre foreign coworkers.

As for most Asian ESL jobs, the chance of advancement is nearly zero.

Try and make the visa process less painstaking and clear. Incentivize good teachers more. Improve the curriculum by adapting the changes made by good teachers and reward them for it. Keep a file of great seminars (Social clubs) to give as examples to new teachers.

Easy Way to Make Quick Cash or get a Work Visa

Former Employee - English Instructor in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-will hire teachers without experience, or even certification
    -decent payscale- typically 150 RMB/hr in Shanghai
    -relatively flexible work arrangements

Cons

-no advancement
    -unqualified colleagues don't take their job seriously
    -different cultures at different centers
    -no standards - not a job for teachers who are looking to make a career out of it

-refuse to hire unqualified faculty and verify credentials
    -enforce ethics codes- fire instructors who try to use the school as a pick-up spot, etc.

A place for freshmen and beginners to gain your future skills

Former Employee - Study Advisor in Suzhou, Jiangsu (China)
    Former Employee - Study Advisor in Suzhou, Jiangsu (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work time, easily accessed office facilities, Salon area & Audio&Video Room

Cons

Need to follow your customers whatever they do.

Give more rights to SA and stricter standards for student enrolling tests.

Web International English Photos