Web International English Reviews

CEO

1. web can be a rewarding and a frustrating experience

Former Contractor - Teacher
    Former Contractor - Teacher

I worked at Web International English as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

interaction with students in all walks of life

Cons

poor coordination with teachers, tutors, counselors

better staff development and training, better staff integration, raise tutors salaries to reduce turnover. listen to staff input to improve course instruction

2. Good for the wrong reasons

Current Employee - ESL Teacher
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at Web International English full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, the best thing about working for this company was the ability to make friends with the students. Most of the students are over twenty, and they often were willing to take the teachers out to dinner and hang out. The teaching itself is really easy, because lessons plans are already provided... after you teach a lesson a couple times, you barely need to prepare anything. The only lesson you really have to prepare for are demos, and English Corner, which is a free topic. Some Webs request different levels at different times during the week, but the one I was at asked me to do one for all levels. The pay is really good. I was paid 7000 rmb for the first two trial months, 8000rmb the next four months and 9000rmb for the remainder of my contract (6months). I probably couldn't requested 10,000 or 11,000 rmb a month if I chose to remain another year. The pay is the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Apparently if you stay a few years, you can move up to bigger cities like Shanghai, and request positions with more responsibility, and higher pay. You're also only teaching at max 5 classes a day. Sometimes I only taught 2 classes a day, but you still get paid the full amount.

Cons

The main thing was the difference of culture. My supervisor didn't enjoy being my supervisor, nor did she want to help me with my Visa needs. She consistently reminded me this wasn't supposed to be her job and was only helping me because Human Resources didn't speak English. That's a huge joke to me. Human Resources doesn't speak English? This is apparently not the only Web where this problem happened. The heads of the school seemed to do little to nothing, and almost spoke the least amount of English. The office was also very catty. My fellow foreign teacher and I almost left because we were so sick of the rampant gossip that happened right in front of us. Some of the employees were not aware we spoke Mandarin and would talk openly about us. This got out of control. There was little to no training, aside from me reading a powerpoint, and asked not to discuss the three T's: Tibet, Tiananmen Square, and Taiwan. Your advice for the company is not taken. Overall I didn't even finish my contract. I left 3 months early. My supervisor had a super negative attitude that I couldn't stand.

Management really needs to work on having the foreign teachers connect with the rest of the company. Sometimes I hardly felt like an employee, and was clearly in the understanding that my opinion about things didn't matter. Treat your foreign teachers like they apart of the company, which they are! Include them in business meetings! Why are you having employee meetings but you don't invite the most important employees? The teachers!

3. It was an amazing experience.

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cultural and language immersion. You can network with many other nationalities. Help others.

Cons

Not knowing the local spoken language. In large cities, this usually not a problem.

Please use more efficient agents that can help guide the foreign teachers through the visa process and help grant work visas.

5. Easygoing, relaxing work environment

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff, teachers and students are mostly friendly and easy to work with. The job is clearly defined so that you don't need to do much prep work in advance, especially after doing it for a couple months. It's an ok job if you are a new grad looking for work to stay or travel in China. For more career oriented people, the potential salary is a bit disappointing.

Cons

Low salary and not much room for growth either. Lessons can be boring after teaching the same lesson several times, especially low level lessons. Some lesson plans seem old and out-dated

Need to update lesson plans more regularly, encourage student/teacher involvement in this.

6. A good small company that's open to innovation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Web International English

Pros

Web International is a small company with a friendly atmosphere where innovation is accepted and you can get as much out of it as you're willing to put in.

Cons

Web International suffers from many of the problems that plague small companies, primary among them being a hunger for growth by managment that cannot be met by the production team resulting in backed up schedules and pressure for long hours.

The best way to address the issue of being backed up in production would be to choose a point of focus regarding the types of projects to be accepted. This would allow more specialization to be built up by the production team and would allow better quality to be produced more quickly in these specialized areas.

7. Easy money but can become repetitive very quickly.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Baoshan, Shanghai (China)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Baoshan, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Web International English as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great staff, social clubs were interesting, students were friendly and hardworking, and my boss was very flexible with my vacation days.

Cons

Materials become repetitive and boring. Can run into language barriers. Not a good idea to use the same materials for kids that you use for adults.

Upgrade the computer software.

8. Web International wasn't a good company to work for during my sty in China.

Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Ningbo (China)
    Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Ningbo (China)

I have been working at Web International English

Pros

Great way to interact with Chinese locals who are passionate about learning English and the "Western Culture."

Cons

Lesson plans take a while to prepare, certainly negotiate your pay especially if you feel that your capable, competent and qualified to do the job.

Provide more training tools for staff.

9. A Decent Place to Work

Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am happy with the pay there. This is my first job after finishing my TEFL and the initial training helped to prepare me to teach their curriculum. They occasionally have teacher trainings which I found to be very helpful. The Chinese tutors are all very friendly, helpful and speak fluent English. I had to work on a tourist visa during my trial period and this was a little stressful but I was able to get a Z visa after I passed the trial period and everything worked out ok. This company seems to be working on getting its act together. This is a good thing because it means that they are now trying to do everything legally including having the teachers pay taxes. The students are wonderful, hardworking and a joy to work with.

Cons

Since I now have to pay taxes I pay 1000 RMB on a 3000 RMB bonus. To be able to figure this out I had to have a two hour meeting with the financial department because I was paid so much less than I expected to receive for my bonus that I was pretty upset and they could not explain things in a straightforward way. Management is not very good at communicating what the foreign teachers need to know. They failed to tell us things like 1/3 of the lesson plans will be changed, so I came to work on a busy Saturday to discover that we had new lesson plans. When we complained about this at the next staff meeting we were told that the new lesson plans are not that different from the old ones (not true) and no explanation was given for why we were not told about this in advance. Web has been changing a lot of policies lately and when we are not informed about them in a timely fashion it is very stressful and infuriating.

Hire managers who understand how to talk to foreigners. When a policy changes tell is in a clear way so we know what to expect. When I complain about something don't argue with me, just listen and try to understand what I am saying. Treat the foreign teachers with respect. When you make a mistake admit it, apologize if necessary and move on it's no big deal, everyone makes mistakes.

10. One of the more professionally managed English schools available in China.

Former Employee - English Instructor in Hongqiao, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - English Instructor in Hongqiao, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Web International English

Pros

-Great colleagues at Hongqiao (I worked at two centers; Xujiahui and Hongqiao)
    -Minimal lesson planning (for those who like teaching by the book, or are lazy)
    -Creativity in lesson planning (for those who think the "book" is out-dated and needs modernizing)
    -Students who are amazing are AMAZING. Students that are brats, are BRATS.
    -Payment system on time and reliable. Teachers will not be gyped.

Cons

-Little cooperation between Chinese tutors and English teachers. A clique culture (at HQ).
    -The English corners.
    -Vacation policies... forced to use vacation days on golden week.
    -At least at the center I was at... teacher evaluation needs work. (e.g. supervisor reviewing English corner by not being there)
    - English teachers will only move up from teacher to Head Teacher. Meaning more job responsibility but little pay rise, therefore no incentive to apply to become a head trainer at all. You can be promoted to Head Trainer at HQ. But colleagues I know have tried, and failed.

-KPI system does not make sense. Evaluating staff (tutors) does not take it seriously as they are incredibly over worked.

-Teachers with good track record should be shown appreciation from management (bonus, awards, anything really). I believe I have good track record (planned every lesson, prepared well for English corners) and was not treated any different from teachers who came in unprepared, not being serious, etc. BUT at least the students see it and appreciate it.

- Some lesson chapters are incredibly outdated (e.g. some of the business salon classes). Management should work with teachers to revamp these lessons completely (and trust the teachers judgement), instead of added one additional page to the lessons and hope it works.

Blindsided when most vulnerable

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Nantong, Jiangsu (China)
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Nantong, Jiangsu (China)

I worked at Web International English

Pros

Decent ready-to-use curriculum. Nantong is a rather pretty, if by no means stunning, city near all the wonders of Jiangsu and of course Shanghai. Some great foreign teacher colleagues. Above all: Many wonderful students!

Cons

All the good feelings turned to poison the day before my flight back to America was set to depart. Full disclosure: I left before completing my 1-year contract. However, I had sudden, serious business to address at home, and I gave notice - over a month of notice - in keeping with the terms of my contract. At first the admin essentially begged me to stay, but when it became clear that I was leaving, they apparently hatched a plot to squeeze me for as much of my earned income as possible.
    The day before my plane was leaving was also the day the company was going to pay me my last month's salary. (I realize now this arrangement was unwise, but I trusted them.) They told me my utility bill went up over 600% from the previous month (or any previous month), which was preposterous. They said - knowing full well how vulnerable I was at that moment - they would withhold all of my salary if I didn't pay this exorbitant fee.
    This is why I give 1 star. I definitely had great moments at Nantong Web, but those moments had nothing to do with the company itself and could've been had at any teaching gig in China. Believe me: I am an upbeat person who, with all the frustrations that go hand in hand with any China teaching experience, stays happy, appreciates the wonder of my surroundings, and tries to make the most of my situation. I just want to warn anyone considering working at Nantong Web: You are better off somewhere else! At Nantong Web they might ambush you when you're vulnerable like they did me.

Other issues: (1) The higher-ups are aloof and tone-deaf. (2) During the interview process the company promised me there would be Mandarin lessons for foreigners and there weren't. (3) The apartment arranged for me, while not otherwise bad, had a tiny fridge and no kitchen. Why didn't they give me a heads up about this? Do they assume foreigners only eat fast food?

Please refrain from cheating foreign teachers when they're vulnerable.

Web International English Photos