Web International English Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

1. It was an amazing experience.

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cultural and language immersion. You can network with many other nationalities. Help others.

Cons

Not knowing the local spoken language. In large cities, this usually not a problem.

Advice to Management

Please use more efficient agents that can help guide the foreign teachers through the visa process and help grant work visas.

2. Good for the wrong reasons

Current Employee - ESL Teacher
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at Web International English full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, the best thing about working for this company was the ability to make friends with the students. Most of the students are over twenty, and they often were willing to take the teachers out to dinner and hang out. The teaching itself is really easy, because lessons plans are already provided... after you teach a lesson a couple times, you barely need to prepare anything. The only lesson you really have to prepare for are demos, and English Corner, which is a free topic. Some Webs request different levels at different times during the week, but the one I was at asked me to do one for all levels. The pay is really good. I was paid 7000 rmb for the first two trial months, 8000rmb the next four months and 9000rmb for the remainder of my contract (6months). I probably couldn't requested 10,000 or 11,000 rmb a month if I chose to remain another year. The pay is the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Apparently if you stay a few years, you can move up to bigger cities like Shanghai, and request positions with more responsibility, and higher pay. You're also only teaching at max 5 classes a day. Sometimes I only taught 2 classes a day, but you still get paid the full amount.

Cons

The main thing was the difference of culture. My supervisor didn't enjoy being my supervisor, nor did she want to help me with my Visa needs. She consistently reminded me this wasn't supposed to be her job and was only helping me because Human Resources didn't speak English. That's a huge joke to me. Human Resources doesn't speak English? This is apparently not the only Web where this problem happened. The heads of the school seemed to do little to nothing, and almost spoke the least amount of English. The office was also very catty. My fellow foreign teacher and I almost left because we were so sick of the rampant gossip that happened right in front of us. Some of the employees were not aware we spoke Mandarin and would talk openly about us. This got out of control. There was little to no training, aside from me reading a powerpoint, and asked not to discuss the three T's: Tibet, Tiananmen Square, and Taiwan. Your advice for the company is not taken. Overall I didn't even finish my contract. I left 3 months early. My supervisor had a super negative attitude that I couldn't stand.

Advice to Management

Management really needs to work on having the foreign teachers connect with the rest of the company. Sometimes I hardly felt like an employee, and was clearly in the understanding that my opinion about things didn't matter. Treat your foreign teachers like they apart of the company, which they are! Include them in business meetings! Why are you having employee meetings but you don't invite the most important employees? The teachers!

3. Easygoing, relaxing work environment

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff, teachers and students are mostly friendly and easy to work with. The job is clearly defined so that you don't need to do much prep work in advance, especially after doing it for a couple months. It's an ok job if you are a new grad looking for work to stay or travel in China. For more career oriented people, the potential salary is a bit disappointing.

Cons

Low salary and not much room for growth either. Lessons can be boring after teaching the same lesson several times, especially low level lessons. Some lesson plans seem old and out-dated

Advice to Management

Need to update lesson plans more regularly, encourage student/teacher involvement in this.

5. Very solid English school

Former Employee - English Instructor in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)
    Former Employee - English Instructor in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time

Pros

Great students and staff to work with. If you have some creativity you can easily use the materials they provide you to deliver great classes.

Cons

If you're not an outgoing individual who can keep shy people talking this isn't a job for you. All of the successful teachers are extremely outgoing and patient, while introverts tend to burn out quickly

Advice to Management

Be sure to keep paying an above average salary to teachers in order to keep the top talent at the school.

6. Web International Urumqi

Current Employee - Foreign English Teacher in Ürümqi (China)
    Current Employee - Foreign English Teacher in Ürümqi (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good lesson plans, good colleagues, honest employer. Educates children aged 11+ and adults, nearly all of whom are very keen and able. Sadly at Intermediate and Advanced levels they currently only teach Business English, which is a bit unfair to the teenagers (and the teachers!), BUT in September that will change as new School Intermediate and School Advanced lesson become available. Good Christmas party and Annual party. Good for your first year, if you can get in!

Cons

Only five days personal holiday a year. You never know your schedule until you arrive, so you can never organize a lunch with friends except on the day. In Web in general you are expected to work 8 hours a day (1 hour lesson prep and up to 5 hours teaching), but in Urumqi it's 9 hours a day. Obviously, when not teaching or prepping the time is yours, but if it's just the odd hour scattered through the day you end up sitting around doing nothing.

Advice to Management

Please give people a better holiday allowance. It's not that you aren't profitable.

7. TEFL Teacher

Former Employee - English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job, curriculum provided, students are fun. I learned a lot, but didn't get the feedback or reviews the company says they will do. They pay regularly and reimburse medical and travel expenses. They will hire you with less experience than some of the other companies. It'a a jumping off place to other jobs in China.

Cons

Your job depends on your popularity with students. You have to be patient with all the Chinese ways of doing things: illegal, incomprehensible, and inefficient. There are a lot of inexperienced employees. Not much room to advance, and the foreign teacher trainers are more interested in their own advancement than helping the foreign teachers.

Advice to Management

Reviews and feedback are investments in your employees. You should realize that turnover hurts your profit margin.

8. It was an interesting experience

I have been working at Web International English

Pros

It's good and ease to get a job there.

Cons

Policies may drive you crazy

9. Web International wasn't a good company to work for during my sty in China.

Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Ningbo (China)
    Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Ningbo (China)

I have been working at Web International English

Pros

Great way to interact with Chinese locals who are passionate about learning English and the "Western Culture."

Cons

Lesson plans take a while to prepare, certainly negotiate your pay especially if you feel that your capable, competent and qualified to do the job.

Advice to Management

Provide more training tools for staff.

10. In my experience if you are a foreigner in China there are many more rewarding, respectful, career enhancing options.

Former Employee - Foreign Teacher in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)
    Former Employee - Foreign Teacher in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have arrived in China with no resources and you need a job, it would be a good place to work for 6 to 8 weeks while you get your bearings and adapt to the lifestyle. Get some $ and then go and work for somebody else with a lot more compensation, respect and professionalism.

Cons

In my experience if you are a foreigner in China there are many more rewarding, respectful, career enhancing options available. If you are sincere in your teaching, you will soon be demotivated by the lack of respect. The lack of ANY career opportunities, the constant turnover of staff-both Chinese and Foreign. The people who stay there are usually kiss up, kick down individuals who are promoted on their Yes man (or women) mentality. Promotion to local staff is usually upon this basis. Teaching hours are a constant grind of 5 hours per day. It is sometimes difficult to maintain enthusiasm for the 20th time of the lack lustre material from DynEd or Salon class material. Local staff will discuss/gossip about you in Chinese in person thinking that you do not understand. This approach is driven from the top. You- the foreigner is basically a second class employee albeit well paid by comparison to local staff. If you prepare for class and teach well, do not think that you may be given any promotional opportunities. These are only given to the yes man/women locals. You will be expected to dance for potential customers and you will then be rewarded with a big fat commission of the 20/30K study fee. No, you will be given 50 kuai. Work that percentage out. Even local sales staff get a much higher commission. You will have excellent Western style bathroom facilities. Clean and scented like a flower field! No, expect to share with the General Public and the accompanying standards of public toilet cleanliness. As you might expect forced bonhomie is not natural for a foreigner. You will be asked to attend ill-conceived and prepared Student Activities with very limited budgets. It is difficult to hold successful events with a couple of bottles of soda, and some crisps. Fake cheer is expected from the foreigner. You will have to double check your pay every single time. Will your salary be correct or always short-changed an hour here or there? Holidays- they offer 5 days per year. Expect to use your legislated sick leave due to the cramped glasshouse style classrooms. Students will turn up with the flu and then cough open mouthed into your face as they have no idea about germs and spreading their winter cheer. The air is not vented from outside so colds and flu are a constant bugbear. Some students will be unhappy as some Sales Staff are extra enthusiastic to close the deal. Sometimes their expectations are not met and as a result they will carp and criticise every little detail. Complaining for complainings sake. They were told something by the salesperson and they expected a more personalised VIP service. No valid work visa documents. Expect to be thrown in jail or deported as they cannot provide a visa in Guangdong Province (Shenzhen). Web is about pushing the numbers to maximise profit so this does not lend itself for personalised service for every student. So if you enjoy teaching 5 hours every day with no respite. Expect below average compensation, No career development or advancement, the clique atmosphere with you the foreigner the brunt of most conversations, high expectations of the students, and the general lack of professionalism by the majority of management and staff then Web International English is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Clean out the entire crew. Start afresh with professional Education Management senior team that puts service delivery ahead of accountants intent on extracting every single last penny out of staff, customers and suppliers.

11. A Decent Place to Work

Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am happy with the pay there. This is my first job after finishing my TEFL and the initial training helped to prepare me to teach their curriculum. They occasionally have teacher trainings which I found to be very helpful. The Chinese tutors are all very friendly, helpful and speak fluent English. I had to work on a tourist visa during my trial period and this was a little stressful but I was able to get a Z visa after I passed the trial period and everything worked out ok. This company seems to be working on getting its act together. This is a good thing because it means that they are now trying to do everything legally including having the teachers pay taxes. The students are wonderful, hardworking and a joy to work with.

Cons

Since I now have to pay taxes I pay 1000 RMB on a 3000 RMB bonus. To be able to figure this out I had to have a two hour meeting with the financial department because I was paid so much less than I expected to receive for my bonus that I was pretty upset and they could not explain things in a straightforward way. Management is not very good at communicating what the foreign teachers need to know. They failed to tell us things like 1/3 of the lesson plans will be changed, so I came to work on a busy Saturday to discover that we had new lesson plans. When we complained about this at the next staff meeting we were told that the new lesson plans are not that different from the old ones (not true) and no explanation was given for why we were not told about this in advance. Web has been changing a lot of policies lately and when we are not informed about them in a timely fashion it is very stressful and infuriating.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who understand how to talk to foreigners. When a policy changes tell is in a clear way so we know what to expect. When I complain about something don't argue with me, just listen and try to understand what I am saying. Treat the foreign teachers with respect. When you make a mistake admit it, apologize if necessary and move on it's no big deal, everyone makes mistakes.

RSS Feed </> Embed