Web International English

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

3.3

CEO

It was an amazing experience.

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cultural and language immersion. You can network with many other nationalities. Help others.

Cons

Not knowing the local spoken language. In large cities, this usually not a problem.

Please use more efficient agents that can help guide the foreign teachers through the visa process and help grant work visas.

Easygoing, relaxing work environment

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The staff, teachers and students are mostly friendly and easy to work with. The job is clearly defined so that you don't need to do much prep work in advance, especially after doing it for a couple months. It's an ok job if you are a new grad looking for work to stay or travel in China. For more career oriented people, the potential salary is a bit disappointing.

Cons

Low salary and not much room for growth either. Lessons can be boring after teaching the same lesson several times, especially low level lessons. Some lesson plans seem old and out-dated

Need to update lesson plans more regularly, encourage student/teacher involvement in this.

A good small company that's open to innovation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Web International English

Pros

Web International is a small company with a friendly atmosphere where innovation is accepted and you can get as much out of it as you're willing to put in.

Cons

Web International suffers from many of the problems that plague small companies, primary among them being a hunger for growth by managment that cannot be met by the production team resulting in backed up schedules and pressure for long hours.

The best way to address the issue of being backed up in production would be to choose a point of focus regarding the types of projects to be accepted. This would allow more specialization to be built up by the production team and would allow better quality to be produced more quickly in these specialized areas.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NEVER WORK AT WEB!

Current Employee - ESL Teacher  in  Nantong, Jiangsu (China)
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Nantong, Jiangsu (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the students, I love China, I'm a great teacher, I like the people in China (just not in Web).

Cons

Rather than write a long rant, I'll just bullet point SOME of the reasons to never work at Web

-The lied to me in the interview to get me to work for them. They said the VISA would be covered. When I got here, they said they actually cover the residency permit-a totally different thing (and the contract used the word VISA). I paid for all expenses associated with getting the residency permit so, basically, they don't cover anything

-They said I would be working in Nantong. I actually work in Rugao (a "branch" of Nantong, over an hour away). To get the residency worked out, I had to make 4 trips into Nantong and back at a moment's notice-- hours of riding around on a loud uncomfortable bus.

-The Rugao branch isn't licensed to hire foreign teachers (so, on paper I work in Nantong). They also didn't register my residence in Rugao. I didn't find out about any of this until the police followed me home.

-They told me it would be "no problem" to get two days off in a row. That was a lie, and it means that I can't go on a short trip to visit other parts of China. I've barely left this small town.

-The told me I would get free Chinese lessons. That was a lie.

-They refuse to give me my foreign expert certificate-- which is totally illegal.

-Rugao is OK, but there isn't much to do. There are only 4 other foreigners in the city and-because I didn't get Chinese lessons- it's lonely and boring.

-Sometimes they talk about me in Chinese (with me in the room). Most of the time they entirely ignore me. They make ZERO effort to make me feel welcome and like I'm part of the team.

-They lie to me all the time. They don't communicate at all or tell me about things that are going on. For example, they told me AS I was leaving work at 9PM that I was teaching an 2 HOUR extracurricular lesson the next morning--OUTSIDE in a busy square, without any materials or help.

-They cheated me on my salary, on my very first paycheck.

-They use foreign teachers as a sales product: all the walls are made from glass so potential customers can walk through and watch the exotic foreigners.

-they didn't help me get set up at all. It took 2 months to set up my bank account, almost 3 to get my residency worked out.

-The told me I would be teaching "1 to 2" English Corner lessons a week (the lessons I have to plan myself). I actually teach 4, and I'm the only person who does them. It's very hard to come up with so many new ideas every week, and I also spend a lot of free time planning lessons.

-Business English is not a separate course, so anyone who reaches a certain level of fluency must take it. I have lots of 13 year old students with zero interest in business taking the course.

-The "overtime rate" is a joke. It works out to be the same pay as a regular class. so they always want me to do more classes.

-Be honest with employees. don't lie to them. Pay them fairly and in full. No tricks or games. Pay for the VISA. Raise the overtime rate.

-Help ESL teachers adjust: make them feel welcome and part of the team. Give them Chinese lessons. Give them the time and encouragement to explore China. Make an effort to befriend them.

-Value employees who work really hard and are trying to make the experience positive. Get rid of teachers who are lazy and useless. They have done the opposite here in Rugao.

-Offer advancement opportunities for ESL teachers.

-Make business English an elective course

Web International English is a good, stable employer.

Current Employee - TEFL Teacher  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - TEFL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time for less than a year

Pros

Web is a good school to work for because the teaching curriculum is well developed, you are paid for 8 hours of work a day, which includes lesson prep time and teaching. There are some opportunities for advancement, and the foreign teachers have some say in the school programs.

Cons

Things that are told you do not always turn out to be exactly what they sound. I have found this with American companies also, so it is not such a great fault. But be ready to pay for your apartment deposit and first month of living and any new household purchases you need. Also, while the company says they will show you around and help you with getting acclimated, a lot of it is up to you.

Develop a welcome package for foreign teachers who are arriving in the country and assign a native teacher to help them get settled. Continue developing academic curriculum for TOEFL track students.

Easy, relatively relaxed teaching position

Current Employee - English Teacher  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Web International English full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Preplanned lessons. Small classes. Max of 5 classes per day

Cons

Constantly changing management. Management bad with communication to employees. School is all business. Job is customer service more than teaching.

An awesome teaching experience in Shanghai.

Former Employee - English Instructor  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - English Instructor in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

Probably the best large ESL chain in China. Incredibly kind, friendly management and co-workers, GREAT students (teaching ADULTS), OK curriculum that can be easily adjusted, great pay and benefits, only 40 hour work-weeks that are maximum 5 hours/day of teaching.

NOTE: I worked in Shanghai. In other cities, experiences may vary. ALWAYS TALK TO AT LEAST 2 CURRENT TEACHERS AT ANY SCHOOL YOU ARE EVER THINKING OF TEACHING. That the school's manager welcomed me to do this was a great sign.

Cons

Although the actual schools' management is great, HR is often inept, overworked, and/or unavailable. Part of the problem is China's deliberately bewildering visa policies and rapid, unannounced changes. Depending on which location you work in, you can teach many seminars that require lots of work. Difficulty recruiting enough foreign teachers can lead to some bizarre foreign coworkers.

As for most Asian ESL jobs, the chance of advancement is nearly zero.

Try and make the visa process less painstaking and clear. Incentivize good teachers more. Improve the curriculum by adapting the changes made by good teachers and reward them for it. Keep a file of great seminars (Social clubs) to give as examples to new teachers.

Easy Way to Make Quick Cash or get a Work Visa

Former Employee - English Instructor  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - English Instructor in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-will hire teachers without experience, or even certification
    -decent payscale- typically 150 RMB/hr in Shanghai
    -relatively flexible work arrangements

Cons

-no advancement
    -unqualified colleagues don't take their job seriously
    -different cultures at different centers
    -no standards - not a job for teachers who are looking to make a career out of it

-refuse to hire unqualified faculty and verify credentials
    -enforce ethics codes- fire instructors who try to use the school as a pick-up spot, etc.

A place for freshmen and beginners to gain your future skills

Former Employee - Study Advisor  in  Suzhou, Jiangsu (China)
    Former Employee - Study Advisor in Suzhou, Jiangsu (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work time, easily accessed office facilities, Salon area & Audio&Video Room

Cons

Need to follow your customers whatever they do.

Give more rights to SA and stricter standards for student enrolling tests.

Mediocre pay and work

Former Employee - Trainer  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Trainer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job was pretty easy and they train you to teach in their fashion, decent amount of resources made for painless lesson planning. The pay was decent though not great.

Cons

I did not like the work environment very much. You were paid for your lessons, but expected to put in a significant number of office hours extra without pay. The branch I worked in was somewhat clique-ish (really are we still in high school ?). Long hours with people that I did not particularly like, and large time investments for just mediocre pay made me one disgruntled employee.

Either tighten up management, or give a little slack to the peons.

Worked for Web International English? Contribute to the Community!