Web International English
www.webi.com.cn Shanghai, China 16 to 50 Employees

Web International English Reviews

Updated Jun 7, 2014
Web International English – China – “Web International English, China”

It was an amazing experience.

ESL Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsCultural and language immersion. You can network with many other nationalities. Help others.

ConsNot knowing the local spoken language. In large cities, this usually not a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease use more efficient agents that can help guide the foreign teachers through the visa process and help grant work visas.

Easygoing, relaxing work environment

English Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff, teachers and students are mostly friendly and easy to work with. The job is clearly defined so that you don't need to do much prep work in advance, especially after doing it for a couple months. It's an ok job if you are a new grad looking for work to stay or travel in China. For more career oriented people, the potential salary is a bit disappointing.

ConsLow salary and not much room for growth either. Lessons can be boring after teaching the same lesson several times, especially low level lessons. Some lesson plans seem old and out-dated

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to update lesson plans more regularly, encourage student/teacher involvement in this.

A good small company that's open to innovation.

Little Rock, AR

ProsWeb International is a small company with a friendly atmosphere where innovation is accepted and you can get as much out of it as you're willing to put in.

ConsWeb International suffers from many of the problems that plague small companies, primary among them being a hunger for growth by managment that cannot be met by the production team resulting in backed up schedules and pressure for long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best way to address the issue of being backed up in production would be to choose a point of focus regarding the types of projects to be accepted. This would allow more specialization to be built up by the production team and would allow better quality to be produced more quickly in these specialized areas.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Web International English is a good, stable employer.

TEFL Teacher (Current Employee)
    Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsWeb is a good school to work for because the teaching curriculum is well developed, you are paid for 8 hours of work a day, which includes lesson prep time and teaching. There are some opportunities for advancement, and the foreign teachers have some say in the school programs.

ConsThings that are told you do not always turn out to be exactly what they sound. I have found this with American companies also, so it is not such a great fault. But be ready to pay for your apartment deposit and first month of living and any new household purchases you need. Also, while the company says they will show you around and help you with getting acclimated, a lot of it is up to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a welcome package for foreign teachers who are arriving in the country and assign a native teacher to help them get settled. Continue developing academic curriculum for TOEFL track students.

Easy, relatively relaxed teaching position

English Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsPreplanned lessons. Small classes. Max of 5 classes per day

ConsConstantly changing management. Management bad with communication to employees. School is all business. Job is customer service more than teaching.

An awesome teaching experience in Shanghai.

English Instructor (Former Employee)
    Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsProbably the best large ESL chain in China. Incredibly kind, friendly management and co-workers, GREAT students (teaching ADULTS), OK curriculum that can be easily adjusted, great pay and benefits, only 40 hour work-weeks that are maximum 5 hours/day of teaching.

NOTE: I worked in Shanghai. In other cities, experiences may vary. ALWAYS TALK TO AT LEAST 2 CURRENT TEACHERS AT ANY SCHOOL YOU ARE EVER THINKING OF TEACHING. That the school's manager welcomed me to do this was a great sign.

ConsAlthough the actual schools' management is great, HR is often inept, overworked, and/or unavailable. Part of the problem is China's deliberately bewildering visa policies and rapid, unannounced changes. Depending on which location you work in, you can teach many seminars that require lots of work. Difficulty recruiting enough foreign teachers can lead to some bizarre foreign coworkers.

As for most Asian ESL jobs, the chance of advancement is nearly zero.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and make the visa process less painstaking and clear. Incentivize good teachers more. Improve the curriculum by adapting the changes made by good teachers and reward them for it. Keep a file of great seminars (Social clubs) to give as examples to new teachers.

Easy Way to Make Quick Cash or get a Work Visa

English Instructor (Former Employee)
    Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Pros-will hire teachers without experience, or even certification
    -decent payscale- typically 150 RMB/hr in Shanghai
    -relatively flexible work arrangements

Cons-no advancement
    -unqualified colleagues don't take their job seriously
    -different cultures at different centers
    -no standards - not a job for teachers who are looking to make a career out of it

Advice to Senior Management-refuse to hire unqualified faculty and verify credentials
    -enforce ethics codes- fire instructors who try to use the school as a pick-up spot, etc.

A place for freshmen and beginners to gain your future skills

Study Advisor (Former Employee)
    Suzhou, Jiangsu (China)

ProsFlexible work time, easily accessed office facilities, Salon area & Audio&Video Room

ConsNeed to follow your customers whatever they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more rights to SA and stricter standards for student enrolling tests.

Mediocre pay and work

Trainer (Former Employee)
    Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsThe job was pretty easy and they train you to teach in their fashion, decent amount of resources made for painless lesson planning. The pay was decent though not great.

ConsI did not like the work environment very much. You were paid for your lessons, but expected to put in a significant number of office hours extra without pay. The branch I worked in was somewhat clique-ish (really are we still in high school ?). Long hours with people that I did not particularly like, and large time investments for just mediocre pay made me one disgruntled employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither tighten up management, or give a little slack to the peons.

Its long hours but enjoyable work

TEFL Teacher (Current Employee)
    Cixi, Zhejiang (China)

ProsI love my classes because the students are motivated and friendly.
    My local colleagues are welcoming
    The money is ok - i get 8000 a month, 1500 housing, 125 OT atm
    The lesson plans are ready made but I keep myself interested by adding my own material
    I don't hate going into work
    Good support - finding a flat etc
    Relaxed atmosphere

ConsThe set office hours - if I have only 3 classes I still need to be in the office 7 hours.
    Lack of holiday - I only got 5 days paid holiday
    Lack of training - I only got 10 minutes on my first day
    Lack of observations -I dont know if I am improving

Advice to Senior Managementmore team-building will help us to become a better team as I feel there is a bit of 'them and us' in the office

Worked for Web International English? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Web International English reviews and ratings. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Web International English employees.