Web.com Inc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Web.com Inc Chairman and CEO David L. Brown

David L. Brown

Pros:
  • "Stock options, friendly coworkers and a decent amount of PTO"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good benefits, great co workers, comfortable environment"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "The no raise policy is completely off the wall"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Upper Management that puts profits over people at ANY COST"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

worth looking into. good company

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat product line at web.com company

Conslimited opportunity for advancement here

Advice to Senior Management..........

Its a job at a company were the Union should get involved.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsIts a job with regular pay but not enough to live on. Also benefits are great. They do have a cook out once a year . At the cookout the executives cook hamburgers and hot dogs for the employees. This is to show how much they appreciate the hard work and all the money we made them throughout the year. They have a nice Christmas party and they give a nice Christmas bonus. They offer discounts to the YMCA, AT&T, Football Tickets etc... All great things.

ConsNot enough pay to live on and they make sure that you can not get your all of your commissions due to you. Workers are forced to work overtime regardless of your plans, how sick you are or how exhausted you are. If you try to reason with them they will take you in for reeducation. Most of the employees need to be on food stamps. They never take employees into consideration or at least consider them to be human beings. Take a look online at Web.com reviews from customers and how they are treated and don't think that they treat employees any better. Workers in every department are mistreated everyday in many ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to set an example by being the type of company that strives to make better lives for the people that make you lots of money for the company. Become a humanitarian and start with your own employees, this is would create a win, win situation for customers, employees and the companies reputation. FYI: Discounted football tickets does not make you a humanitarian.

leads by web

Leads By Web (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time for less than a year

ProsProduct works but markets are scorched earth.

ConsOpening markets doesn't mean they are good markets to open. Management can't keep facts straight or manage to employees with appropriate information. Performance plans which dominates the sales teams are exceptionally inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy?

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, but bad department.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsWeb.com as a company is ok as long as you are not in the Renovation Experts department. They do some very nice things for the employees, like cookouts and stuff. They give a great Christmas bonus, which is rare these days. The CEO is a very nice man and easy to talk to.

ConsI was lied to, talked down to, treated like a child and made to feel bad constantly. This is in the Renovation Experts department. The job is a scam, selling leads to contractors. We had to lie to the contractors to get them to buy leads, 70% of which were fake. Then the contractors call you back and curse you out because you are the one that lied to them. When I talked with management about my concerns, I was basically told to do my job or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the management in the Renovation Experts department and get someone that actually cares about the little people that are there doing the work there.

A modern day factory

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRelaxed work attire, flexible scheduling (depending on your department), holiday party. That's about it...

ConsWeb.com is literally a modern day factory. You are one of three things: a factory floor worker, factory support, or senior management. Senior management is a good gig, they get paid well and get massive amounts of stock and huge bonuses. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of upper management, and odds are you will never be one of them.

Factory support is the skilled worker level. Designers, Software Engineers, Accounting, Marketers etc. Your job is to make the factory floor work faster, better and cheaper. This is where I was. It is thankless and brutal work. The hours are long and the expectations are high. You will be given a low salary and it will never increase unless you go up the management chain - and even then only modestly until you hit the VP level. Cronyism abounds, and length of employment matters more than skill or results when it comes to getting promoted.

The factory floor is the majority of the employees. Floor workers are trained to do a small set of very specific tasks. You are given a queue, you perform your task and pass it along to the next worker. Just like traditional factories, your tasks will be very focused and specific, which makes it easier for them to fill your place in the work flow when you leave. Pay is low, and the work pace is very high. You will be treated poorly, as if you are expendable - because in their eyes, you are expendable.

The factory mentality permeates the company. Everyone, aside from upper management of course, is replaceable. Because of this mentality, the place is pretty much a mess. Turnover rates are extremely high, especially for hourly workers. Skill workers have no real reason to stay at the company once they realize that their pay will never go up, they get tiny bonuses and the stock options are pretty slim. On top of this, the company is amazingly miserly - every small purchase request has to be OK'd by C-staff. Need a new hard drive? Well lets hope the CTO is in town or that purchase will have to wait.

If you are a new Web.com employee from an acquisition, then it's time to get your resume in order. Web.com does not want your nice tech stack or your crack finance team. Your company was purchased for it's customer base. You'll enjoy about a six month romance period, and then your company will be slowly destroyed. Ask anyone at Network Solutions, Register.com or the original Web.com in Atlanta (before they were bought by the current company, previously Website Pros). Also, despite all those nice words the C-staff told you, you will never be anything unless you are in Jacksonville (and this applies especially to the developers in Buenos Aires, sorry guys).

There isn't a ton of reasons to work at Web, and even less reasons to stay. Keep your resume up to date and keep looking for a better place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know they won't read this, and even if they did they would dismiss it as words of a butter ex-employee. And that may be true, my version of the truth might not be free of bias. However, look at the other reviews - my version doesn't appear to be very far off from the rest. Makes you wonder...

Changes need to be made from a top down level. All employees are not instantly replaceable. Pay is way too low, people need to be felt as if they are valued. Bonuses are a joke and the stock grants get smaller each year. Invest in your IT, you are classified as a software company on the stock exchange, yet IT and development get left over scraps. Reward and compensate good hourly workers, and create some career paths that don't lead into management.

Unfortunately, the company is profitable, so I'm sure upper management just assumes that it's their work that made it so. That would explain the massive bonuses they give themselves.

This company is totally confused!

Outside Account Executive (Former Employee)
Durham, NC

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsThey offer a great deal of solutions.

ConsThey grew by acquisitions and nobody seems to be able to play on the same field. The division I was with was/is a train wreck and management seems pretty clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganized and actually have a real game plan. Work with your employees and not against them as it seems to be.

Was great at first but went downhill

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorked with a great group of people, we worked hard and played hard. Relaxed atmosphere fun times

ConsWhen customers are calling a technical support channel, they shouldn't have to be offered new products or services. It puts undue pressure on staff and customers. Bigger salary would have been nice. I left for more money

Good experience, but poor compensation and no time for personal development

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time

ProsThe teams are small so there's opportunity to make an impact and try your hand at different tasks. Work environment is fairly relaxed, and the stock options aren't bad if you can rise up the ladder a bit.

ConsThe downside is that the organization as a whole is fragmented and there's little investment in bringing down the technical debt they've accumulated through acquisitions. Also, the organization doesn't see themselves as a technology company so there's little interest in investing in their developers to learn new skills or refactor existing solutions. Weirdly austere about purchases and amenities for a successful company. Some teams will demand a lot of overtime and the base pay is usually laughable compared to other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in better technical leadership and consolidating the platforms and infrastructure.

One of the best places I've worked

Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Web.com Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsMostly pleasant co-workers, relatively easy to move up or transfer departments, great HR team, clean workplace, decent entry-level pay (extremely "entry-level"), stock options and decent benefit plans, annual parties and company events, decent "perks", overall fun place to work

ConsUpsell requirements in most departments for a mostly dated & lacking (by today's standard) product, outgrowing building (employee lounge (which wasn't half bad) has been replaced by a classroom, not many other "amenities" that many other tech companies provide, poor management in some departments, very little or no training for most departments (they expect you to know your skill, which is understandable)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your little people/people on the front lines more... they know more about what's going on than you think and have some tremendous ideas and solutions to some very big problems.

Too busy tripping over dollars to pick up pennies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Web.com Inc full-time for more than a year

ProsThere weren't too many. Some really great people oppressed by low wages just hanging on waiting for better opportunities somewhere else. A springboard company.

ConsNo raises. The executives are busy taking care of themselves while paying their employees garbage wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what is going on down below. Sooner or later you will have nothing working for you except for drones that are not capable of thinking for themselves. There will be no innovation because you will lack people to move up the ranks. It operates like a bank, but pretends to be a technology company.

Worked for Web.com Inc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Web.com Inc reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Web.com Inc CEO David L. Brown. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by Web.com Inc employees.