WebFilings Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
4.1

Matthew M. Rizai

Excellent people, awesome environment and a variety of interesting problems.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ames, IA

I worked at WebFilings as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were really friendly and smart. There was a lot of free food and coffee, and I got involved in some fairly interesting problems after proving my usefulness. They let you do what you want and pay you well without trying to take part of your soul. When I was there they also did a big scrum workshop, which was good I guess.

Cons

Parking was a little tight if you came in later, and they moved us around a little because they were growing/making space. But it wasn't a big deal. Some of the problems I worked on were a bit tedious, and the codebase seemed very large and hard to navigate at times.

Hire more outside Ames? Not everyone wants to live there :)

Driven, dedicated professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

I have been working at WebFilings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Office culture is awesome, very unusual for midwest. Great opportunities across several locations also. Creating great products that a make a real difference in the lives of our customers.

Cons

too awesome? OK, in truth, the work can be stressful because we are creating business critical applications that are important. You won't be working on the next flappy birds here, this is business software that makes a difference.

In school Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ames, IA

I worked at WebFilings as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people above all, fun work environment, doing interesting things. They have a great cafe as well. The work was never boring.

Cons

I didn't work enough hours to completely get a feel for the company. Fortunately they were flexible around my classes

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Professional Service Manager
    Current Employee - Professional Service Manager

I have been working at WebFilings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, Culture, Benefits, Challenging & Engaging Work

Cons

During busy season, it's not uncommon to do 100+ hr weeks but this is one of the few companies where management actually appreciates your hard work.

Don't change anything, the culture here is amazing!

Wavering in adolescence...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

I worked at WebFilings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Webfilings is exceptional in its identity as a company. To my knowledge, it is the only of it's kind in central Iowa. It is a tech company using all the new "shinys" the world has to offer in almost every department. A mini-Google in many respects with a state of the art cafe, a brand new campus with a modern feel and look, and marker scratches of everything from code snippets to marketing diagrams on every inch of glass. Innovation is the currency with many of power phrases to go along with it.

The growth has been incredible. The field force has jumped significantly each year providing possible opportunity for an ambitious employee. The original workforce is incredibly talented and hard-working. The product has revolutionized its niche which creates a very strong sense of pride among the departments and the company proper. Events and activities are common. Health benefits are second to none and compensation is likely to be higher than any peer for the same work.

Cons

Like any great growth story, Webfilings is caught in that arduous position between 'small' and 'big' company. Small companies have flexibility, quick turns, and close relationships; big companies have stability, steady gains, and a strong management system. Webfilings is edging on the negative side of all of these while in its teen-years.

It is not too late to recover, but at present the values and culture have been lost to the pitfalls of growth. The flexibility, self-ownership, manager-employee trust, and work-life balances are no longer pluses. When the company was small, managers could be very choosey about who they hired, who they gave responsibility to, and what areas needed attention. More than that, the culture was naturally more like a family because everyone "knew everyone." It is easy for any tech company with high sales to thrive in this state.

Unfortunately, the influx of employees has led to a massive dilution of talent and focus. Upper management may be strong and capable of guiding people within their reach, but they no longer managing the company; middle managers are. Upper management is steering the company only in vision. This may sound ideal as its the primary function of upper management, but the company growth came when they were managing the day-to-day operations. Those operations are now being managed by many people who emerged during the boom period and are either unqualified or worse, are unfamiliar with the culture. Many of the middle managers are close friends of upper management (as is common in small companies) and thus irreplaceable which makes the problem unfixable. Upper management is, to my knowledge, untested in this environment and everything is stretching.

Morale shows this stretch. Communication shows this stretch. Productivity shows this stretch. Even innovation shows this stretch. The company appears tired because its employees are tired. Will Webfilings break through and hit "large" status with all the benefits that go with it and leave behind the "good-old-boys" club of management and chaotic workflow? Time will tell but in my observation and experience, now is not a good time to join unless you are willing to accept a great deal of uncertainty. The payoff could be huge or could be a lot of frustration.

Of course there are teams that thrive in the worst of situations and there are teams that drown in the best. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Re-engage the core values of the company which appear to be lost in the desire to grow. Make these values and vision clear as they have never been communicated to the younger/newer employees

Great place to work but flat management structure leads to unclear expectations

Former Employee - Delivery Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at WebFilings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful people and an awesome product. Great learning experience.

Cons

Flat management structure seems okay at first, however, expectations are not clearly set; mid-level managers do not get checks-and-balances when it comes to hiring, firing or position changes. Also, you can't expect that your performance review will tell the full story since they don't stick to improvement plans.

Set more clear expectations when employees take on a new roll, or their roll's title changes even though it has been assumed that expectations are not changing. If you're going to have performance reviews they need to be fair and improvement plans should be based on these, not artificial desires.

It's a great company with a lot of opportunity.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Ames, IA

I have been working at WebFilings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Company Culture.
    A lot of opportunities to grow within the company.
    Great benefit program (Health, 401K).
    15 paid days of vacation.
    Provide training for employees.

Cons

Communication between department needs improvement.
    Many time have to work overtime for free.

The company doesn't pay for education (ex. MBA) which is a big down fall.
    Compensation lower on average but you get options within company.

Like no other opportunity before

I have been working at WebFilings full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's exciting and fun, like being on the winning team all the time. There is such a strong sense of pride and accomplishment that it's hard not to look forward to being here every day.

Cons

If you don't take the time to personally manage your work-life balance it can get away from you. I believe that the younger generation here isn't accustomed to managing their own time in a way that doesn't create guilt on either end.

Thank you!

Growing SaaS Company -- Amazing Product -- Best Culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WebFilings full-time for more than a year

Pros

From the top down the company believes in building a product with the customer in mind first. Nothing is done on a whim. They are refreshingly lean--agile, but not rigid about it. Founders have had experience building startups with successful exits. Developers and product owners are some of the best I’ve ever worked with. Customer managers are energetic well respected by our clients. Absolute gem. Cloud technology used is cutting edge and rapidly evolving. A developer will never be bored.

Cons

I can't think of anything show stopping. Nit picks aren't worth mentioning.

Keep up the good work.

In Search of a Way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

I have been working at WebFilings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really great people who work hard and are committed to the company. Great HQ facility with gym, basketball court, squash court, yoga room, locker room facilities and onsite eating facilities that are out of this world. Big fish in a very small pond located in Ames, IA. Webfilings has incredible technology and some of the brightest people working in that area. I think their solutions are or can be game changers for many industries.

Cons

Certain key management people within came from founders first company. Some of these people are weak and well over their heads. This would not be a problem if everyone recognized for what it is, however that is not the case. Case in point, this company is very much driven by the product marketing department which is located in Ames. Most of the hires in this department are from and need to live in the Ames area. They have struggled to find talent from outside the area because people usually don't want to relocate to Ames. Further there is an Ames clique that is prevalent in this and many other departments which is very protective of the founding partners and this company. These factors have caused the company to stumble badly in new market launches. Problems have occurred in product positioning, product development direction, marketing strategy, launches and go-to-market campaigns, and the analysis of market sizing, penetration and competitor landscape. An enormous amount of time, energy and money have been spent throwing things at the wall to see what sticks mentality. Pressure is mounting throughout to execute as money and time click away. Fully expect a big wave of turnover from either lack of execution or the pressure. Many of the employees in sales roles are becoming disenchanted from this lack of market preparedness, and product readiness. Founders believe if you cannot sell this technology then your a poor salesman rather then understanding that the market readiness has been very poorly thought out and executed.

What an incredible idea and technology. I hope you can see and understand where there are these dis-connects. There needs to be better communication and openness to ideas. There is a need to better understand employee skill sets and then positioning of employees to draw those skills out. Product development has some truly wonderful and skilled people and is well organized to draw the most from their talent pool. Take a look at what they are doing well...then look throughout. How well do you know your talent pool in other areas???

Worked for WebFilings? Contribute to the Community!