WebMD Health

www.webmd.com

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus(in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there(in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user(in 7 reviews)

Great people, great brand

Associate Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSmart and dedicated people, trusted brand and great content

ConsLots of organizational and leadership changes, too many priorities without enough resources

Lack of growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworker relationships and work life balance

ConsVery little upward mobility for high performers

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSharp People, Cool Mission and well treated.

ConsThe PTO policy is not competitive and Raises are not competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease PTO and provide Raises to keep up with Mkt pay rates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad company

ProsCompensation
    Bonus
    Laid back
    Flexibility
    Good manager
    Descent time off with everything combined (starting 12 vacation, 10 sick, 10 holidays)
    Free fruit, coffee

ConsLow morale since the layoffs
    Managers offsite
    High turnover
    Could be more vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the layoffs were the worst decision in many years, especially for the web development team. These jobs are hardly recoverable, due to the lack of developers.

Great Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad a great experience interning for a summer with WebMD. Everyone was very helpful in making my time there valuable. Met many great people.

ConsNo cons, working for them was a pleasant experience.

Restructuring. Tough work environment.

Client Services (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLocation in Portland is great. Many smart, dedicated people. Decent initial salary if you negotiate effectively up front. The content matter is genuinely interesting

ConsBusiness plan and goals appear to be based on stock price rather than what is best for clients and employees.
    Upper management is moving chess pieces (employees) to keep stock price in order without a vision to manage the changes thrust into place. Now that middle management in PDX has been eliminated, it will be interesting to see how services and implementations run.
    Some of the systems that support the health platform are really antiquated. Dangerous for a technology solution set.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your short term and long term vision when full scale changes / cuts happen. Turn the mirrors on yourselves.

Lost its soul and it's vision.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany smart people who really care about the company and its success. Fairly flexible work schedule but varies greatly from team to team.

ConsNo longer cares about the people who work there. No career paths and dictates job changes to employees without thought to a match in skill set or people's desired growth. No longer cares about the brand. No one setting a company vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop just chasing the dollars and listen to the people who actually do the work and talk to clients. As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others. —Bill Gates

Decent, until it's terrible

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree water
    Flexible hours
    Above-average pay (in certain departments)

ConsThis is a poorly managed company that does not value its employees. A select few in the in-crowd have been promoted numerous times in several years without any clear contribution to the company. Everyone else has been left to rot, and the feeling in the office is palpable. I've visited livelier hospices.

Even if you get promoted (I did), expect to be simultaneously stabbed in the back (I was).

Everyone in leadership seems to be biding their time for... something. I don't know what. Retirement, a buyout, a hostile takeover, a quick death? They keep their heads down and continue to follow the same path, year after year. Not the best strategy for an internet company.

If you have ideas, keep them to yourself or take them elsewhere. At best, they will be ignored. Otherwise, your manager will either take credit for them or else feel threatened by you. You definitely won't be rewarded for them, and you will rarely see them implemented -- in any form.

You want help from HR? Good luck finding them -- they are always at the other office, without fail, probably busy writing the few positive reviews on this site. It's not worth it anyway, because they are only there to help management, not you.

If you are ok with wasting your daylight hours on meaningless projects that never come to fruition just to collect a paycheck, you might just love it here. If you're a masochist, definitely sign yourself up. If you want to enjoy your work, contribute ideas, and learn something in the process, run away quickly.

Oh, and the vacation time is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementNext time, make the layoffs from the top down. Too many upper-level people have been there for too long (5 years, 10 years, more). The company is stale and barely keeping afloat. However, I suspect you don't want more than that anyway. In which case, carry on and keep dumping that stock.

Good and bad, but depends on what you're looking for

Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood work/life Balance. Medium sized company with good growth opportunities. Depending on your particular manager, they can be supportive of furthering individual career growth.

ConsCrappy raises for existing employees. Younger employees that advance their career rapidly can have a hard time keeping up with salaries at other companies. Lots of gossip due to the size of the environment. Annual layoffs instead of firing obvious under performers through the year rattles survivors

Back on Track

ProsThe executive management team is better now and seems to be more aligned. Still has a good brand name. You have to ability to get recognized for working hard.

ConsThe company still has pockets of ineffective mid level management in some key areas. It could be a more exciting company if it embraced a more entrepreneurial spirit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to make a splash. Stop trying to build everything in house.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!