WebMD Health
www.webmd.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

David J. Schlanger

Pros:
  • "Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Casual dress code, ability to work from home (occasionally)"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Can be challenging at times to achieve good work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worst Sales Reputation in Digital Sales - Do Not Work Here

Sales Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBrand name...but fading fast. Companies know WebMD but their competition is catching up fast and leaving them behind.

ConsDigital sales force has been terribly run for years. It is known throughout the industry as being one of the worst sales environments in the digital space. This has been fostered by a cancerous political culture and ineffective management. Not only would I highly recommend staying away from WebMd as a seller but I would go further in saying if you are hiring, to stay away from employees who have worked at WebMD for a longer period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have not left, leave.

Good Company, Intelligent Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Lot of intelligent employees willing to help each other out on various projects
    -Ability to own projects on your own once you've been trained
    -Bagel Fridays were a plus

Cons-Environment was almost too calm. Atmosphere needs to liven up a touch.
    -This may have changes but some of the managers lived for the job. Need to understand work/live balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue helping to train new employees and allow them to own their projects. Do not micromanage.

A downer

Associate Editor (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsSome dedicated people, felt your work could make a difference, 25 cent sodas, cake day.

ConsTreated contractors poorly, new ideas were publicly encouraged but never executed, total backstabbing culture, way too many upper level managers getting involved at the 11th hour after making no contribution throughout projects. if you're in the clique, then you're safe. if not, watch out. Not much emphasis on innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe clock will run out on you too.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professionalism

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWebMD is staffed by a team of intelligent professionals, each experts in their respective fields. Most people had good attitudes.

ConsUpper management frequently would make last minute changes that had a negative cascading effect on our integrated teams.

Working my Tail Off

ProsReally sharp, smart people to work with, and overall I'd say many people are happy to work for the company

ConsTremendous working hours, most departments feel short staffed and overworked. The potential for burn out is high. It can feel a lot like individuals are working for the 'idea of the day' and that upper management can suffer from Shiney Toy Syndrome much too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people's ideas, be sensitive to workload, and take the time to celebrate those who are really working hard for you.

Solid place to work (Medscape)

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThere are many talented/friendly people working here. Very loose dress code. Management pretty much all leave at 5 on the dot. No one really looking over your shoulder as long as you get your work done. How you break up your time is very flexible. There's a Ballys across the courtyard for lunchtime workouts. Lots of reasonably priced food in the area. Company parties are pretty good when they do happen. Free lunch during lunch time meetings. Free bagel fridays.

ConsAgile is the buzzword and its mostly used by project leaders and "big-idea" people to think things through half-assed which results in huge amounts of development time being wasted. The idea of "I'll know what I want when I see it" that clueless clients have unfortunately extend to project managers and ux leaders that really should have saw issues in wireframe/design stages when it could have been quickly resolved.
    Meetings are often pointless and a waste of time unfortunately it seems that some people's only existence at the company are to perpetuate them for some feeling of purpose. Management are "lifers" and their priority is to hold on to their job and keep things easy for them, technology-wise the company is very far behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do what they are great at. If you are not a big picture guy, or a designer, or a ux guy, or a developer, stop using your weight to control things and instead leave that stuff for the people who currently do that for a living. Honestly, your place really is just making sure we're happy so we do what we do best.

Great place to work as a stepping stone.

Associate Editor (Former Employee)

ProsWork Life Balance
    Interesting work
    Nice colleagues

ConsLittle room for growth unless you're in the right clique.
    Rather closed minded to big, new ideas.

No one knew how to properly run the business

Atlanta, GA

ProsThe environment was amiable for the most part, aside from the usual people you find in every job setting.

ConsNo one knew what was going on there. Leadership was inept, and several executives allowed hourly employees to influence their day-to-day decisions, which ultimately led to the dismissal of several employees who were great at their jobs, and were capable of carrying a lot of weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour executive title shouldn't be just a title. There are certain responsibilities assigned to that title that you should respect, revere, and uphold. Open your eyes and see what's really going on around you. You are not above the fray.

Great Company to Start at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat co-workers, fair compensation, fun place to work

Conslittle communication between coworker and management, a lot of work not enough people to fill all the needs. Also cant seem to keep CEO's longer than a year..

Good Company & Great People

New York, NY

ProsFlexible company that cares about work live balance

ConsSome team leaders lack the technical knowledge to fully understand the vision

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WebMD Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WebMD Health CEO David J. Schlanger. All 177 reviews posted anonymously by WebMD Health employees.