WebMD Health

www.webmd.com

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus(in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there(in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user(in 7 reviews)

Good Culture / Solid Future Plans

Director of Strategic Accounts (Former Employee)

ProsI thought the culture here was fantastic. There were a ton of A players, who were passionate about the space and the kind of work we were doing.
    Very much a place where you are given freedom to make the most of it.

ConsVery entreprenurial, you have to pull from the organization what you want and need. It isn't always offered. ( this can be good or bad ).

Advice to Senior ManagementSince I left, it is very clear that management recognized the challenges ahead and took steps to figure out a path forward for success. Digital is ever evolving. Ensure you have your finger on the pulse of where digital is going in healthcare. I'd love to see real investment in R&D to try new product ideas and services out.

Good and bad. Depends on what you are looking for

ProsGood people, interesting clients and good compensation.

ConsUnstable environment with a lot of turnover and not enough resources to do your job well.

Director, Strategic Partnerships

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSalary and commission is very good at WebMD. Growth is also a pro as the company recognizes talent and allows talented individuals to move through the ranks at a faster pace than other places I have seen.

ConsThere is little accountability amongst various departments at WebMD which makes it very hard for a sales team to get things done. Senior management is also less concerned about their employees as they are about their own bottom line

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lead Market Champion

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat work life balance. Culture and people are great.

ConsI wish we were a little more disconnected from the NY office. Just a different culture

Worst Sales Reputation in Digital Sales - Do Not Work Here

Sales Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBrand name...but fading fast. Companies know WebMD but their competition is catching up fast and leaving them behind.

ConsDigital sales force has been terribly run for years. It is known throughout the industry as being one of the worst sales environments in the digital space. This has been fostered by a cancerous political culture and ineffective management. Not only would I highly recommend staying away from WebMd as a seller but I would go further in saying if you are hiring, to stay away from employees who have worked at WebMD for a longer period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have not left, leave.

Good Company, Intelligent Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Lot of intelligent employees willing to help each other out on various projects
    -Ability to own projects on your own once you've been trained
    -Bagel Fridays were a plus

Cons-Environment was almost too calm. Atmosphere needs to liven up a touch.
    -This may have changes but some of the managers lived for the job. Need to understand work/live balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue helping to train new employees and allow them to own their projects. Do not micromanage.

A downer

Associate Editor (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSome dedicated people, felt your work could make a difference, 25 cent sodas, cake day.

ConsTreated contractors poorly, new ideas were publicly encouraged but never executed, total backstabbing culture, way too many upper level managers getting involved at the 11th hour after making no contribution throughout projects. if you're in the clique, then you're safe. if not, watch out. Not much emphasis on innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe clock will run out on you too.

Professionalism

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWebMD is staffed by a team of intelligent professionals, each experts in their respective fields. Most people had good attitudes.

ConsUpper management frequently would make last minute changes that had a negative cascading effect on our integrated teams.

Working my Tail Off

ProsReally sharp, smart people to work with, and overall I'd say many people are happy to work for the company

ConsTremendous working hours, most departments feel short staffed and overworked. The potential for burn out is high. It can feel a lot like individuals are working for the 'idea of the day' and that upper management can suffer from Shiney Toy Syndrome much too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people's ideas, be sensitive to workload, and take the time to celebrate those who are really working hard for you.

Solid place to work (Medscape)

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are many talented/friendly people working here. Very loose dress code. Management pretty much all leave at 5 on the dot. No one really looking over your shoulder as long as you get your work done. How you break up your time is very flexible. There's a Ballys across the courtyard for lunchtime workouts. Lots of reasonably priced food in the area. Company parties are pretty good when they do happen. Free lunch during lunch time meetings. Free bagel fridays.

ConsAgile is the buzzword and its mostly used by project leaders and "big-idea" people to think things through half-assed which results in huge amounts of development time being wasted. The idea of "I'll know what I want when I see it" that clueless clients have unfortunately extend to project managers and ux leaders that really should have saw issues in wireframe/design stages when it could have been quickly resolved.
    Meetings are often pointless and a waste of time unfortunately it seems that some people's only existence at the company are to perpetuate them for some feeling of purpose. Management are "lifers" and their priority is to hold on to their job and keep things easy for them, technology-wise the company is very far behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do what they are great at. If you are not a big picture guy, or a designer, or a ux guy, or a developer, stop using your weight to control things and instead leave that stuff for the people who currently do that for a living. Honestly, your place really is just making sure we're happy so we do what we do best.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!