WebMD Health

www.webmd.com

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus(in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there(in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user(in 7 reviews)

Great place to work as a stepping stone.

Associate Editor (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWork Life Balance
    Interesting work
    Nice colleagues

ConsLittle room for growth unless you're in the right clique.
    Rather closed minded to big, new ideas.

Great Company to Start at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat co-workers, fair compensation, fun place to work

Conslittle communication between coworker and management, a lot of work not enough people to fill all the needs. Also cant seem to keep CEO's longer than a year..

Good Company & Great People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible company that cares about work live balance

ConsSome team leaders lack the technical knowledge to fully understand the vision

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great resume builder, horrible high-level management and employee engagement.

Telephonic Health Coach (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat resume builder
    Met some awesome people in the same life stage as me

ConsNo career path. WebMD always look outside of the organization instead of promoting from within.
    Terrible employee retention strategy - there isn't one.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in and grow your employees instead of always looking outside to promote. This will improve morale which is in the gutter.

Quiet Desperation

Senior Editor (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWell-known brand, some smart and dynamic people, walking distance to Piedmont Park

ConsSweat-shop feel, fickle priorities from management that change on a whim, understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementRecent efforts to foster creativity, brainstorm, and collaborate need to increase exponentially. Schedule no-email/no Web surfing periods every day to allow blocks of work time, deeper thinking, and/or to force people to talk to co-workers.

Do regular team building and awareness training with staff to alleviate the bad morale and high levels of conflict.

Bottom line, hire more people and/or slow down the conveyor belt at this factory.

No one knew how to properly run the business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe environment was amiable for the most part, aside from the usual people you find in every job setting.

ConsNo one knew what was going on there. Leadership was inept, and several executives allowed hourly employees to influence their day-to-day decisions, which ultimately led to the dismissal of several employees who were great at their jobs, and were capable of carrying a lot of weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour executive title shouldn't be just a title. There are certain responsibilities assigned to that title that you should respect, revere, and uphold. Open your eyes and see what's really going on around you. You are not above the fray.

Very unprofessional: Don't even bother giving them 2 weeks notice as they might not respect it

Software Developer (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsA variety of free fruit available every day, some skilled coworkers who are a pleasure to work with.

They are very lucky that they got the large government health care website contract. That is saving both the WebMD website and the health services division.

ConsI gave two weeks notice to this company and was informed on the day that I gave notice, that it would be my last day. That's entirely unprofessional. I had worked hard to ensure that all my work was complete before giving notice (even working until 1:00 A.M. the night before) and we were at the end of our release cycle so the manager just said he wouldn't need me for the next two weeks. Sure they might not absolutely need me, but that's breaking an unspoken social contract, and both the manager and I know that I could make myself useful during that time period. Giving notice is a courtesy that allows the employees to transfer knowledge and finish what they are working on when necessary, to the benefit of their employers. If the employer just decides to let the employee go early on a whim, then what is the possible benefit for the employee to give notice? I could have just not given notice and quit the day before my new job started, but unlike the engineering manager at WebMD, I conducted myself in a professional manner. Now I am left without a paycheck for the next couple of weeks (over Christmas), 3 paid holidays that I would have enjoyed over that period are history, and I quite likely will have to pay the full cost for insurance for my family for a month as typically insurance on a new job doesn't start until the end of the first month, while insurance from the previous job ends at the end of the final month. Thanks for penalizing me thousands of dollars because I had the courtesy to give you notice!

In addition there is no criteria to become a software architect, or data architect, or security architect at WebMD other than that you have worked there a long time. A couple of the architects were knowledgeable, but more often than not they are just longtime employees who are fully versed in the WebMD system with little software architecture and engineering knowledge. I had to chuckle at what supposed "experts" were saying in meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect 2 weeks notice! You probably wouldn't like it if someone just quit with no notice, so don't just send employees packing who offer you the courtesy of notice.

Also, they should tackle some big rocks sometime instead of just piddling little incremental features. They get everything done, but at an extremely slow pace.

Employees are the least of their concerns

ProsDecent pay. Many smart and nice colleagues.

ConsWhere to begin? Bad working conditions, no regard for or interest in advancing employees, a zillion unworkable databases and busy work, not what it claims to be. Constant turnover and shifting priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off email for two minutes and look at your employees. Are they overworked and under an unreasonable amount of pressure? What can you do to make them stay? Have you noticed people are leaving in droves?

Exciting mission, Shiny Coin Syndrome

Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe vast majority of employees are interesting people with healthy lifestyles and positive attitudes. There are neat benefits of a slick office-space and the promotion of a healthy live-work balance. There are health benefits, 401k and tuition reimbursements, and cell phones for all employees that are paid by the company. Technology on your desk is par for a tech company.

ConsShiny Coin Syndrome - the mission for one quarter is promptly abandoned or minimized the next. But don't worry, a new task force is around the corner. Not unlike many companies. Sales and EBITDA drive decision-making (not atypical nor incorrect) but the same cycles occur annually. 4th quarter budget cuts and seasonal heavy overtime loads. Email-heavy culture. Technology behind the product is slow to develop/behind, so consider if the service/product is your focus or the mission. Internal systems are old or poorly utilized. One of the slowest moving companies in some ways, while split-second decisions are made at other times. Sometimes feels out of sync.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruiting process is irregular, layoffs on Monday mornings are brutal for everyone involved. Lots (and lots) of meetings without action items, agendas or purpose other than CYA/keep everyone in the loop because internal systems do not facilitate information sharing. Utilize modern collaboration tools to improve office-based and remote-employee information sharing.

Amazing Experience.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe Atmosphere is great. I've never seen so much talent among such a great group of individuals. It really was a pleasure to work here.

ConsI don't have anything negative to say about the company.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!