WebMD Health
www.webmd.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

David J. Schlanger

Pros:
  • "Casual dress code, ability to work from home (occasionally)"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Generally great people working at the ground level"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Typical Agency Attitudes

Managing Editor (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health

ProsThe pay was great compared to other jobs in Atlanta. They also equip you with all the technical necessities to get the job done.

ConsThere's a reason they equip you with ALL the technical necessities - you are expected to work plenty of overtime if you want to succeed. Very arrogant personalities to work with as well - from Snr. Mgmt on down.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive everyone a fair chance. Espouse more "open-door" policies. Encourage better social relationships among personnel. Provide more initial training. Be Nice!

If you want a 9-5 job, come here. If you want career growth/raises/responsibility don't come here.

I worked at WebMD Health

ProsYou can leave at 5:00 every day.
They have a really nice office

ConsYou make no money
There is no career advancement
The work needs to be better distributed, surfing the internet gets old

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter allocate your resources

A ship that I would never sail on again. Talent overboard!

Sales Systems Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health

ProsWebMD offers a fast paced environment where you can cut your teeth early. The products appear to be unique for the industry and the company has an excellent niche in the online industry as it holds the title of leading online health information web site. It is a company that prides itself in its information and it's popularity with pharma companies and consumer marketing firms. I found many of the people I worked with to be friendly and overall easy going. The work environment is also very relaxed. Everyone gets their own personal laptop as well, which is a nice benefit.

ConsWebMD carries some major flaws. The internal training is very on the fly and fragmented. If they offer you a "hybrid role" do not take it. Managers have a hard time communicating with one another and ensuring that their staff is on the same page as they are. Another major flaw is that the company bleeds talent. Turnover is very high and information is lost as new employees come in and old employees (1-2 years) leave the company. This has left several managers in charge of knowing vital information. If any of these managers were to leave, the information/practices/product knowledge would go with them. It's a frightening thought! The company is also currently suing two workers who left the company and moved to a competitor. This shows just how far they will go to try and keep talent from running away. Lastly, the HR is terrible. One VP was quoted saying that WebMD's HR is pretty much a few people in a back closet. You have been warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a better training program and develop the skills and abilities of the talent you hire. Work on spreading out information and knowledge. Ensure that managers have the proper people skills to work with their employees.

Very unprofessional: Don't even bother giving them 2 weeks notice as they might not respect it

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for less than a year

ProsA variety of free fruit available every day, some skilled coworkers who are a pleasure to work with.

They are very lucky that they got the large government health care website contract. That is saving both the WebMD website and the health services division.

ConsI gave two weeks notice to this company and was informed on the day that I gave notice, that it would be my last day. That's entirely unprofessional. I had worked hard to ensure that all my work was complete before giving notice (even working until 1:00 A.M. the night before) and we were at the end of our release cycle so the manager just said he wouldn't need me for the next two weeks. Sure they might not absolutely need me, but that's breaking an unspoken social contract, and both the manager and I know that I could make myself useful during that time period. Giving notice is a courtesy that allows the employees to transfer knowledge and finish what they are working on when necessary, to the benefit of their employers. If the employer just decides to let the employee go early on a whim, then what is the possible benefit for the employee to give notice? I could have just not given notice and quit the day before my new job started, but unlike the engineering manager at WebMD, I conducted myself in a professional manner. Now I am left without a paycheck for the next couple of weeks (over Christmas), 3 paid holidays that I would have enjoyed over that period are history, and I quite likely will have to pay the full cost for insurance for my family for a month as typically insurance on a new job doesn't start until the end of the first month, while insurance from the previous job ends at the end of the final month. Thanks for penalizing me thousands of dollars because I had the courtesy to give you notice!

In addition there is no criteria to become a software architect, or data architect, or security architect at WebMD other than that you have worked there a long time. A couple of the architects were knowledgeable, but more often than not they are just longtime employees who are fully versed in the WebMD system with little software architecture and engineering knowledge. I had to chuckle at what supposed "experts" were saying in meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect 2 weeks notice! You probably wouldn't like it if someone just quit with no notice, so don't just send employees packing who offer you the courtesy of notice.

Also, they should tackle some big rocks sometime instead of just piddling little incremental features. They get everything done, but at an extremely slow pace.

Employees are the least of their concerns

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay. Many smart and nice colleagues.

ConsWhere to begin? Bad working conditions, no regard for or interest in advancing employees, a zillion unworkable databases and busy work, not what it claims to be. Constant turnover and shifting priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off email for two minutes and look at your employees. Are they overworked and under an unreasonable amount of pressure? What can you do to make them stay? Have you noticed people are leaving in droves?

I Really Did Not Matter Here

Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRather generous bonuses, fruit and milk in the break room, somewhat liberal work from home policy.

ConsAfter managing several high-profile programs and adding millions to our revenue there was no where to go in this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more inclusive! the "in crowd" is not necessarily the right ones to lead.

Chance to branch out into on-line

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

ProsSince the company is relatively small it is easy to get involved in multiple projects and learn from all departments instead of being locked into one area as you would in a larger company.

Overall a laid back company

ConsVery cliquish, especially in management, to the point where work will not be done unless you are a friend of theirs. If you are not considered a favorite you will either be so miserable that you look for another job faster than you wanted to or you are one of the first to be laid off in their "consolidation" sweeps.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your employees to grow even if they are in management. Stop the cliques, business shouldn't be us vs them (especially between departments that need to work together).

Good people...cheap snacks, free water.

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReally some of the best people I've worked with- energetic crew, good at their jobs, engaged and high morale until the 6 month mark or so. Excellent and well-known brand, a lot of people care about making things better. I've worked for the company for a long time and made my decision in spring- stayed till end of summer. No ill will on either part which was a nice situation- a lot of people have a caring approach and see employees as 'people'. Despite the slightly whiney/entitled rumors, the company pays very well and is quite generous at the onset. Once you are in the company, it's just standard COL increases. Company paid out bonuses on our worst year and has doubled the match 4/5 of years I was there.

ConsExtremely concerning turnover at the executive level. I believe 8 executives exited or 'given another position' over the last year and a half. For an employer of our size, that is very disturbing and carries down into the departments. Managers lead through emotions and not true management- furthermore they are unwilling to get better, preferring to crouch in perceived perfection and play political games instead of standing up and admitting there is something wrong. Or give money to useless consultants.

Though the people are great for the most part, as a result of hiring more junior employees and having them report to untrained managers, there is a HUGE culture of entitlement and arrogance that borders on true comedy- what's worse are the untrained managers accidentally foster this culture and enable it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice to management is more of an anecdote:

Instead of worrying about what a former employee,(who didn't report into your department, and who you didn't say a word to during their resignation) posted on Facebook (which you found out second-hand, and apparently bothered you so much that you asked current employees to reach out to said employee to remove the offending post) maybe you should worry about the financials, the lack of talent in mobile, and 2014 planning? Just a thought.

Ok if you loved Junior High

Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

ProsNice location, free coffee, water

ConsCliques and old friendships cripple newer staffers. Nothing is written down, no procedures, org charts, asking for information viewed as suspicious. So bad it's hard to take it seriously, but they are dead serious: you will feel bad about yourself and your work in no time. May be great place to work if you like competing to join the cool kids. Not for grown-up professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your managers, especially those who "grew up" at Medscape/WebMD. Perhaps they didn't actually grow up at all. Abolish all meetings and initiatives that involve consensus of a group larger than 4-5 individuals. Instead,encourage small, informal initiatives. Take what your employees are saying here to heart. What does WebMd have such a disgruntled work force?

Demoralizing, poorly organized company, that has no vision of what to do

Contractor (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFresh fruit in the office every day. Good location. Good pay.

ConsVery poorly structured office. Impossible to do impactful work as most of your time is spent fixing tiny problems. There is no technical vision and employees spend a lot of effort in passing problems over to other departments than in getting problems solved.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the company so that teams are cross-functional and people actually have ownership of the projects they are working on. Bring in a CIO and a data architect. Also when terminating a contract early, give the contractor reasonable notice that funding has changed.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WebMD Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WebMD Health CEO David J. Schlanger. All 163 reviews posted anonymously by WebMD Health employees.