WebMD Health

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.8

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 14 reviews)

• Occasionally work from home is allowed (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Eventful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are great. I have received outstanding managerial support

Cons

Lots of tension over recent re-organization

Move faster

Great people but leadership just doesn't get it.

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Overall, good company with decent benefits. Lots of great people who are passionate about health.

Cons

Leadership is so completely disconnected with staff that's it's scary. Lots of talk but no walk. Complete turn over of leadership several times in past few years makes it hard for the company to move forward. Company is stuck in the 90s when it comes to policies and strategy.

Walk the halls and talk to people. The answers are there, people are motivated but no one seems to be listening. You're going to lose your greatest asset.... Your people.

Too Much Turnover - Holding Back Progress

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are decent. Many smart hardworking front line coworkers.

Cons

Senior executive leadership doesn't have a clue and doesn't seem to be interested in understanding why the sudden turn over in top level senior management. The same goes for HR who seems to be nothing more than a passive sideline participant in our down turn and loss of some of our best employees.

The turnover of our bright high producers and those with a deep knowledge of our technology tools, marketing strategies and client services expertise is bringing us to our knees. Strong rumors that we are up "for sale again are driving many here to start job searches.

It's obvious and well known to those of us who have been around for awhile understand that the know-it-alls in New York are the ones running the WebMD health services division. We are going backwards with no new clients and little work to keep us motivated.

Lack of trust, lack of motivation, lack of new business and turnover will bring our division down if some changes are not made soon.

Quit lying and covering up whats going on in our Portland office. Talk to us, listen to our concerns, Don't let our good employees just walk out the door without talking to them. Whether they admit it or not they are leaving because of you!

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My immediate manager was great; working for a company with a good reputation helped open doors in a new sales situation.

Cons

The company rested on its laurels; it's best days were behind it. As such, it was afraid to innovate and bring new products to market. The technology platform was old and the company refused to invest in it.

Look forward, not backwards, and improve the operating platform and the product line-up.

Disappointing 6 years, overall lack of strategic direction, commitment and leadership

Current Employee - Upper Level Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Upper Level Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and very caring, committed people until they make a decision to leave.

Cons

Overall lack of strategic direction and support from executive management who only seem to care about themselves and lining their own packets at bonus award time. Check the public disclosure records and see for yourself the past couple of years. While at same time cutting well earned bonuses for our employees.

The Chairman of the Board has fired three CEO's in past few years. A couple of whom were well-liked by employees and were doing as best they could under the Chairmans dictatorship and still lost their jobs. Discovery for yourself how many top and middle business leaders have left the company in recent months. It's because they cannot and will not take it any more.The crush your initative, spirit and self-esteem here. After six years I am seeking another position and I am very bitter about it because we are in a field that helps people stay well and get fit and yet, they treat us like we are bodies without a spirit, without ideas and without emotions. It's a shame but I wish this on know one else so think twice before considering empoloyment with WebMD or WebMD Health Services here in Portland, OR.

Another concern is our human resources team. They are led around like puppets and cannot make a difference because the New York leaders do not allow independent thinking and from what I have seen and heard - they do not respect HR. Our own Portland based HR Director was the second to resign in the past five years because he could not put up with the NY BS any more.We also have a hotheaded tempermental director of recruitment in NY who looks, talks and acts like he is still in the Marine Corps.How he is able to keep his job the way he treats and speaks to people is incredible. I hear that he has high turnover on his recruitment team - little wonder. The head of NY HR is nothing more than a mouth piece for the ELT.

Not to forget the business development team - what team! There is no effective Biz Dev team because NY doesnt feel its necessary. Just keep doing things the way they have always done them and when they take a down turn fire the CEO or business president. Our turnover in Portland and Atlanta is beyond local market norms and it's only getting worse. The company in recent years has had to bribe us with options and special bonuses just to try to keep some of us from leaving. In the meantime competitors are biting at our heels and stealing our top employees.As soon as the next round of promised bonuses are paid I and I know others will be walking too.

Get a clue and listen to our people who are leaving.

Lack of leadship and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are generally friendly and want to help. Work-life balance is alright. Office location is pretty good. Everyone seems very aware that things aren't working well. If your manager is good (seems quite rare) or well positioned politically, things can be pretty good in your team.

Cons

Organizational alignment and strategic planning and action seem to be absent for many departments, with stock price per employee as the only mangement metric of interest. Many pieces of the technology stack are older solutions that have been shoehorned into newer requirements, and it shows. Data is bad across the organization, and while some of this has to do with general issues in medical data, there are clear gaps in data handling processes and technologies, particularly data import systems that also suffer from age.

Problems are compounded by a lack of organizational maturity. Business processes and procedures are almost entirely absent. Change management is not practiced outside of technology releases, which compounds difficulties in addressing organizational issues by making even tactical attempts to address strategic issues more messy and painful than they need to be.

Additionally, most senior personnel have been promoted from within the company. While this certainly shows dedication to the existing workforce, it has also meant that finding new (or even industry-standard) approaches can be difficult and implementing them even more so. This lack of fresh perspective is evident in repeated tactical approaches to solving recurring issues instead of strategic approaches to eliminate the cause of issues.

The organization desperately needs a change management process, and I believe adoption of a solid change management process and addition of personnel from outside the company to implement and administer the process would go a long way to helping many of the problems. Following this, the new process needs to be used to generate some actual organizational cohesion, from a shared understanding of the overall strategy of the organization to developing a common language for discussing the fundamentals of the business.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sharp People, Cool Mission and well treated.

Cons

The PTO policy is not competitive and Raises are not competitive

Increase PTO and provide Raises to keep up with Mkt pay rates.

Good and bad, but depends on what you're looking for

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life Balance. Medium sized company with good growth opportunities. Depending on your particular manager, they can be supportive of furthering individual career growth.

Cons

Crappy raises for existing employees. Younger employees that advance their career rapidly can have a hard time keeping up with salaries at other companies. Lots of gossip due to the size of the environment. Annual layoffs instead of firing obvious under performers through the year rattles survivors

Restructuring. Tough work environment.

Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location in Portland is great. Many smart, dedicated people. Decent initial salary if you negotiate effectively up front. The content matter is genuinely interesting

Cons

Business plan and goals appear to be based on stock price rather than what is best for clients and employees.
    Upper management is moving chess pieces (employees) to keep stock price in order without a vision to manage the changes thrust into place. Now that middle management in PDX has been eliminated, it will be interesting to see how services and implementations run.
    Some of the systems that support the health platform are really antiquated. Dangerous for a technology solution set.

Share your short term and long term vision when full scale changes / cuts happen. Turn the mirrors on yourselves.

Lead Market Champion

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Culture and people are great.

Cons

I wish we were a little more disconnected from the NY office. Just a different culture

WebMD Health Photos