WebMD Health

Updated July 13, 2014
Updated July 13, 2014

2.7

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

My immediate manager was great; working for a company with a good reputation helped open doors in a new sales situation.

Cons

The company rested on its laurels; it's best days were behind it. As such, it was afraid to innovate and bring new products to market. The technology platform was old and the company refused to invest in it.

Look forward, not backwards, and improve the operating platform and the product line-up.

Disappointing 6 years, overall lack of strategic direction, commitment and leadership

Current Employee - Upper Level Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Upper Level Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Decent benefits and very caring, committed people until they make a decision to leave.

Cons

Overall lack of strategic direction and support from executive management who only seem to care about themselves and lining their own packets at bonus award time. Check the public disclosure records and see for yourself the past couple of years. While at same time cutting well earned bonuses for our employees.

The Chairman of the Board has fired three CEO's in past few years. A couple of whom were well-liked by employees and were doing as best they could under the Chairmans dictatorship and still lost their jobs. Discovery for yourself how many top and middle business leaders have left the company in recent months. It's because they cannot and will not take it any more.The crush your initative, spirit and self-esteem here. After six years I am seeking another position and I am very bitter about it because we are in a field that helps people stay well and get fit and yet, they treat us like we are bodies without a spirit, without ideas and without emotions. It's a shame but I wish this on know one else so think twice before considering empoloyment with WebMD or WebMD Health Services here in Portland, OR.

Another concern is our human resources team. They are led around like puppets and cannot make a difference because the New York leaders do not allow independent thinking and from what I have seen and heard - they do not respect HR. Our own Portland based HR Director was the second to resign in the past five years because he could not put up with the NY BS any more.We also have a hotheaded tempermental director of recruitment in NY who looks, talks and acts like he is still in the Marine Corps.How he is able to keep his job the way he treats and speaks to people is incredible. I hear that he has high turnover on his recruitment team - little wonder. The head of NY HR is nothing more than a mouth piece for the ELT.

Not to forget the business development team - what team! There is no effective Biz Dev team because NY doesnt feel its necessary. Just keep doing things the way they have always done them and when they take a down turn fire the CEO or business president. Our turnover in Portland and Atlanta is beyond local market norms and it's only getting worse. The company in recent years has had to bribe us with options and special bonuses just to try to keep some of us from leaving. In the meantime competitors are biting at our heels and stealing our top employees.As soon as the next round of promised bonuses are paid I and I know others will be walking too.

Get a clue and listen to our people who are leaving.

Lack of leadship and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

People are generally friendly and want to help. Work-life balance is alright. Office location is pretty good. Everyone seems very aware that things aren't working well. If your manager is good (seems quite rare) or well positioned politically, things can be pretty good in your team.

Cons

Organizational alignment and strategic planning and action seem to be absent for many departments, with stock price per employee as the only mangement metric of interest. Many pieces of the technology stack are older solutions that have been shoehorned into newer requirements, and it shows. Data is bad across the organization, and while some of this has to do with general issues in medical data, there are clear gaps in data handling processes and technologies, particularly data import systems that also suffer from age.

Problems are compounded by a lack of organizational maturity. Business processes and procedures are almost entirely absent. Change management is not practiced outside of technology releases, which compounds difficulties in addressing organizational issues by making even tactical attempts to address strategic issues more messy and painful than they need to be.

Additionally, most senior personnel have been promoted from within the company. While this certainly shows dedication to the existing workforce, it has also meant that finding new (or even industry-standard) approaches can be difficult and implementing them even more so. This lack of fresh perspective is evident in repeated tactical approaches to solving recurring issues instead of strategic approaches to eliminate the cause of issues.

The organization desperately needs a change management process, and I believe adoption of a solid change management process and addition of personnel from outside the company to implement and administer the process would go a long way to helping many of the problems. Following this, the new process needs to be used to generate some actual organizational cohesion, from a shared understanding of the overall strategy of the organization to developing a common language for discussing the fundamentals of the business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Sharp People, Cool Mission and well treated.

Cons

The PTO policy is not competitive and Raises are not competitive

Increase PTO and provide Raises to keep up with Mkt pay rates.

Good and bad, but depends on what you're looking for

Former Employee - Software Development Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Good work/life Balance. Medium sized company with good growth opportunities. Depending on your particular manager, they can be supportive of furthering individual career growth.

Cons

Crappy raises for existing employees. Younger employees that advance their career rapidly can have a hard time keeping up with salaries at other companies. Lots of gossip due to the size of the environment. Annual layoffs instead of firing obvious under performers through the year rattles survivors

Restructuring. Tough work environment.

Former Employee - Client Services  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR

Pros

Location in Portland is great. Many smart, dedicated people. Decent initial salary if you negotiate effectively up front. The content matter is genuinely interesting

Cons

Business plan and goals appear to be based on stock price rather than what is best for clients and employees.
    Upper management is moving chess pieces (employees) to keep stock price in order without a vision to manage the changes thrust into place. Now that middle management in PDX has been eliminated, it will be interesting to see how services and implementations run.
    Some of the systems that support the health platform are really antiquated. Dangerous for a technology solution set.

Share your short term and long term vision when full scale changes / cuts happen. Turn the mirrors on yourselves.

Lead Market Champion

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Great work life balance. Culture and people are great.

Cons

I wish we were a little more disconnected from the NY office. Just a different culture

Very unprofessional: Don't even bother giving them 2 weeks notice as they might not respect it

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

Pros

A variety of free fruit available every day, some skilled coworkers who are a pleasure to work with.

They are very lucky that they got the large government health care website contract. That is saving both the WebMD website and the health services division.

Cons

I gave two weeks notice to this company and was informed on the day that I gave notice, that it would be my last day. That's entirely unprofessional. I had worked hard to ensure that all my work was complete before giving notice (even working until 1:00 A.M. the night before) and we were at the end of our release cycle so the manager just said he wouldn't need me for the next two weeks. Sure they might not absolutely need me, but that's breaking an unspoken social contract, and both the manager and I know that I could make myself useful during that time period. Giving notice is a courtesy that allows the employees to transfer knowledge and finish what they are working on when necessary, to the benefit of their employers. If the employer just decides to let the employee go early on a whim, then what is the possible benefit for the employee to give notice? I could have just not given notice and quit the day before my new job started, but unlike the engineering manager at WebMD, I conducted myself in a professional manner. Now I am left without a paycheck for the next couple of weeks (over Christmas), 3 paid holidays that I would have enjoyed over that period are history, and I quite likely will have to pay the full cost for insurance for my family for a month as typically insurance on a new job doesn't start until the end of the first month, while insurance from the previous job ends at the end of the final month. Thanks for penalizing me thousands of dollars because I had the courtesy to give you notice!

In addition there is no criteria to become a software architect, or data architect, or security architect at WebMD other than that you have worked there a long time. A couple of the architects were knowledgeable, but more often than not they are just longtime employees who are fully versed in the WebMD system with little software architecture and engineering knowledge. I had to chuckle at what supposed "experts" were saying in meetings.

Respect 2 weeks notice! You probably wouldn't like it if someone just quit with no notice, so don't just send employees packing who offer you the courtesy of notice.

Also, they should tackle some big rocks sometime instead of just piddling little incremental features. They get everything done, but at an extremely slow pace.

Exciting mission, Shiny Coin Syndrome

Former Employee - Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

The vast majority of employees are interesting people with healthy lifestyles and positive attitudes. There are neat benefits of a slick office-space and the promotion of a healthy live-work balance. There are health benefits, 401k and tuition reimbursements, and cell phones for all employees that are paid by the company. Technology on your desk is par for a tech company.

Cons

Shiny Coin Syndrome - the mission for one quarter is promptly abandoned or minimized the next. But don't worry, a new task force is around the corner. Not unlike many companies. Sales and EBITDA drive decision-making (not atypical nor incorrect) but the same cycles occur annually. 4th quarter budget cuts and seasonal heavy overtime loads. Email-heavy culture. Technology behind the product is slow to develop/behind, so consider if the service/product is your focus or the mission. Internal systems are old or poorly utilized. One of the slowest moving companies in some ways, while split-second decisions are made at other times. Sometimes feels out of sync.

Recruiting process is irregular, layoffs on Monday mornings are brutal for everyone involved. Lots (and lots) of meetings without action items, agendas or purpose other than CYA/keep everyone in the loop because internal systems do not facilitate information sharing. Utilize modern collaboration tools to improve office-based and remote-employee information sharing.

Its AGILE to the core, good people but hard to get a new change in

Current Employee - Test Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

The company atmosphere and people were amazing to work with
    Very laid back and relax environment
    Ability to work flexibly throughout the day

Cons

I find that introducing a new way to improve the existing process was something that didn't go too well with them. Takes persistence, but they could just not want the change during that time.

To retain more talent, hire more full-time employees than contractors, I saw too many people leave in the short time that I worked there

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!