WebMD Health

WebMD Health Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated Apr 1, 2014

David J. Schlanger

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good and bad, but depends on what you're looking for

Software Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood work/life Balance. Medium sized company with good growth opportunities. Depending on your particular manager, they can be supportive of furthering individual career growth.

ConsCrappy raises for existing employees. Younger employees that advance their career rapidly can have a hard time keeping up with salaries at other companies. Lots of gossip due to the size of the environment. Annual layoffs instead of firing obvious under performers through the year rattles survivors

Lead Market Champion

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work life balance. Culture and people are great.

ConsI wish we were a little more disconnected from the NY office. Just a different culture

Very unprofessional: Don't even bother giving them 2 weeks notice as they might not respect it

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for less than a year

ProsA variety of free fruit available every day, some skilled coworkers who are a pleasure to work with.

They are very lucky that they got the large government health care website contract. That is saving both the WebMD website and the health services division.

ConsI gave two weeks notice to this company and was informed on the day that I gave notice, that it would be my last day. That's entirely unprofessional. I had worked hard to ensure that all my work was complete before giving notice (even working until 1:00 A.M. the night before) and we were at the end of our release cycle so the manager just said he wouldn't need me for the next two weeks. Sure they might not absolutely need me, but that's breaking an unspoken social contract, and both the manager and I know that I could make myself useful during that time period. Giving notice is a courtesy that allows the employees to transfer knowledge and finish what they are working on when necessary, to the benefit of their employers. If the employer just decides to let the employee go early on a whim, then what is the possible benefit for the employee to give notice? I could have just not given notice and quit the day before my new job started, but unlike the engineering manager at WebMD, I conducted myself in a professional manner. Now I am left without a paycheck for the next couple of weeks (over Christmas), 3 paid holidays that I would have enjoyed over that period are history, and I quite likely will have to pay the full cost for insurance for my family for a month as typically insurance on a new job doesn't start until the end of the first month, while insurance from the previous job ends at the end of the final month. Thanks for penalizing me thousands of dollars because I had the courtesy to give you notice!

In addition there is no criteria to become a software architect, or data architect, or security architect at WebMD other than that you have worked there a long time. A couple of the architects were knowledgeable, but more often than not they are just longtime employees who are fully versed in the WebMD system with little software architecture and engineering knowledge. I had to chuckle at what supposed "experts" were saying in meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect 2 weeks notice! You probably wouldn't like it if someone just quit with no notice, so don't just send employees packing who offer you the courtesy of notice.

Also, they should tackle some big rocks sometime instead of just piddling little incremental features. They get everything done, but at an extremely slow pace.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its AGILE to the core, good people but hard to get a new change in

Test Engineer (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe company atmosphere and people were amazing to work with
Very laid back and relax environment
Ability to work flexibly throughout the day

ConsI find that introducing a new way to improve the existing process was something that didn't go too well with them. Takes persistence, but they could just not want the change during that time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain more talent, hire more full-time employees than contractors, I saw too many people leave in the short time that I worked there

Exciting mission, Shiny Coin Syndrome

Manager (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

ProsThe vast majority of employees are interesting people with healthy lifestyles and positive attitudes. There are neat benefits of a slick office-space and the promotion of a healthy live-work balance. There are health benefits, 401k and tuition reimbursements, and cell phones for all employees that are paid by the company. Technology on your desk is par for a tech company.

ConsShiny Coin Syndrome - the mission for one quarter is promptly abandoned or minimized the next. But don't worry, a new task force is around the corner. Not unlike many companies. Sales and EBITDA drive decision-making (not atypical nor incorrect) but the same cycles occur annually. 4th quarter budget cuts and seasonal heavy overtime loads. Email-heavy culture. Technology behind the product is slow to develop/behind, so consider if the service/product is your focus or the mission. Internal systems are old or poorly utilized. One of the slowest moving companies in some ways, while split-second decisions are made at other times. Sometimes feels out of sync.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruiting process is irregular, layoffs on Monday mornings are brutal for everyone involved. Lots (and lots) of meetings without action items, agendas or purpose other than CYA/keep everyone in the loop because internal systems do not facilitate information sharing. Utilize modern collaboration tools to improve office-based and remote-employee information sharing.

An awful place to work, they would eat their young.

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you can survive there, you can survive anywhere. It will teach you toughness and how to emotionally detach yourself from your job.

ConsThe place is full of back stabbing colleagues, condescending management, and an overall lack of understanding about how to build a business.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

Great and Getting Better

Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work in a space that truly makes a difference in peoples lives.

Brilliant people, excellent Leadership and great technology

ConsPTO is not competitive and no opportunity for stock options

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove benefits - PTO and Stock options or profit sharing

Excellent technology group

Software Developer Intern (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Brilliant people in tech. The tech group works closely and with rather negligible friction with the business departments. The mentoring I received via code reviews and other experiences, such as participating in conducting user study, etc., shows their commitment towards nurturing every employee.
-Casual dress code.
-subsidized vending machines
-Team building at any place of choice
-Showers for those who rode bike to work

ConsI did not find any cons during my short employment.

Demoralizing, poorly organized company, that has no vision of what to do

Contractor (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFresh fruit in the office every day. Good location. Good pay.

ConsVery poorly structured office. Impossible to do impactful work as most of your time is spent fixing tiny problems. There is no technical vision and employees spend a lot of effort in passing problems over to other departments than in getting problems solved.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the company so that teams are cross-functional and people actually have ownership of the projects they are working on. Bring in a CIO and a data architect. Also when terminating a contract early, give the contractor reasonable notice that funding has changed.

Turned into more Politics instead of Product

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeers are highly talented individuals that when allowed to be creative can prove the brand deserves its recognition.

ConsWay too much politics to get anything done. Management looks at employees as threats and problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementSave your brain-trust. They got you to where you are in this industry.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WebMD Health reviews and ratings in Portland, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WebMD Health CEO David J. Schlanger. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by WebMD Health employees.