WebMD Health Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Demonstrated value of work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Occasionally work from home is allowed (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is also less concerned about their employees as they are about their own bottom line (in 7 reviews)

• There was a lot of caution with new ideas (in 6 reviews)

No leadership in product

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Most everyone who works here is very smart and talented. If you want to make a change in how things get done, you probably can. The office is awesome and the views of the mountains are even better. There are a lot of people who work here who are itching to make WHS the best place to work.

Cons

The turnover and leadership at the executive level is worrisome, particularly in product management. It's difficult to convince clients that we have the latest and greatest when we are not creating innovative, cutting edge products. Our website is stale.

Advice to Management

I love working here and cannot imagine leaving. Please find someone to lead the product management group. I've been working here for many years, and this area has been the weakest link for as a long as I can remember. Without new product, we have no clients and have no jobs.

Onsite Manager

Former Employee - Onsite Manager
    Former Employee - Onsite Manager

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and flexibility of working from home was great. Co-workers across the nation were a united group despite the distance between them.

Cons

There is a lot of contract work within the company and when our contract ended, there was no assistance to transfer to another area. They dropped you like a hot potato.

Advice to Management

Realize talent in your employees and try to retain it. Your turnover is high enough as is.

3. Use to be a great company, now - sinkhole

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Use to be a great company with good people, culture, parties, location and work life balance

Cons

political crapshoot was entertaining to say the least. I had a new manager at least 1'ce a year. I watched one shark devour another, climb to the top, eliminate its foes - bring its misfit buddies into management roles - and have them turn the place into trashcan - by pushing out the real talent behind the scenes. After the sharks build themselves up - they jump to other places... Ahh.. one thing not to forget, HR team @ WebMD is a *joke*... I've seen 2 people leave because of misfit manager and on the next meeting, that same manager said, this person said this about me to HR and that person - something else.. There goes the HR privacy policy - straight down the drain.. On my exit interview, i really did not say much - why? Because its futile, it would not change a thing and only create more enemies. Cavan Redmond was the real CEO people respected @ WebMD, but Marty took him out - bringing the chain reaction along with it..

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old management, put the type of people employees would respect, that would be the chance to turn the company around. Or do what you do now and slowly get by and eventually .. sink..

Disappointment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health (Less than a year)

Pros

As others say, colleagues are generally easy to get along with, offices are bright and comfortable, nice work-life balance, competitive salaries and benefits, lots of smart people who are sincere in their quest to offer health and wellness improvement to customers.

Cons

So disappointed in my experience here. Even though coworkers are nice enough, there is little camaraderie or sense of team. If I don't say "good morning," no one else does. It always, always feels like you are just waiting for the other shoe to drop -- and not in a good way. There seems to always be a problem and no good resolution. Even when one thing resolves another crops up. Program managers are overloaded and overworked, so it is hard for them to focus on priorities. Systems are outdated and contribute to inefficiencies in work. For the tenure of the company to date, it is frightening how much is on the table to get "fixed" ASAP. I really wanted it to work here, but it is not the place for me.

6. Account Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Northport, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Northport, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice Manhattan location and office but moving

Cons

Do not recognize people for their accomplishments or hard work, everyone ends up leaving. Little moral.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and focus on the bigger picture let managers make business decisions. Trust your employees and give recognition.

High stress can = high payoff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand name to have on resume

Cons

Very cliquey, immature, top management will back stab you for their benefit, unrealistic quotas

Advice to Management

Realize that top sales people may be top sales people due to luck and not talent

I'll second that

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good amount of smart, fun, hardworking, good people who want to do good work. Known name. Good place to start career esp digital or pharma.

Cons

Really gone downhill. No vision, innovation, or leadership in positive direction by senior management. Decisions made by ppl who do not know or care to know reality. Lack of appreciation for dedication and good work. Create stressful throw under the bus culture. Behavior and poor planning from above creates high workloads and many inefficiencies. People are too busy to do work or too busy to help you on your projects. Many people aren't held accountable and the burden falls on the rest so talented people burning out, leaving the weak behind. Held together by a string. Echo from other review - senior leadership not willing to staff with experienced candidates because they're cheap. if you do well, expect more work with no support. you need to figure everything out the long and hard way. keep high turnover on client services side. low morale due to overwhelming amount of work and lack of seasoned account teams - poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

what another poster said is all true. Mimic the teams that have somewhat happy workers or actually listen to their inout and improve. Change senior management Listen to your current employees feedback before they get fed up and leave the company. Genuinely try to boost morale (and genuinely fix things)before the company is left with only contractors! Hire talented people, not cheap people. Don't make it so difficult to move internally; remove the "level/number" system as this is bureaucratic and makes it hard for talented people to move within departments. Improve the maternity leave policy because it's downright embarrassing right now.

Not what it used to be!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Editorial Department. Good pay, good benefits

Cons

No work/life balance in Revenue. New revenue management doesn't care about employees. Very stressful. Talented workers are over worked and under appreciated. Stay away from the Revenue department. People are leaving in masses. It's definitely not the wonderful environment in was years ago.

Advice to Management

Corporate in NY needs to pay attention to what is going on in the Atlanta office in the revenue department.

Toxic Environment.

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Good brand name/ resume builder. Nice office. This company had so much potential, and there was a time when I absolutely loved working here. You couldn't have paid me to leave. Unfortunately, management has cultivated an environment of political scheming, back-stabbing, and complete disregard of hard work and talent.

Cons

This company is absolutely hemorrhaging employees. Everyone with any talent or foresight is running for the hills, especially in the Atlanta office. Revenue management is threatened by anyone with talent and a mind of their own and does whatever it takes to prevent those employees from gaining or maintaining "power." For this reason, widely respected and talented employees that were the backbones of their departments were deliberately and blatantly targeted for lay-offs while I worked there. Once efficiently-run departments have turned into constant, self-imposed fire drills and constant chaos/ disorganization due to mismanagement. Once upon a time there was fantastic career-development, organization, efficiency, camaraderie, and management staff that was genuinely interested in your growth and happiness. Current leadership - particularly in the Revenue Department - has turned this place into a truly toxic environment to the point that it is unhealthy. Ironic for a company focused entirely on promoting health and wellness.

Advice to Management

How many reviews like this need to be posted and how many talented employees need to quit before New York will take action to correct problems that are festering in certain departments/ offices? Take notice of the droves of employees leaving certain departments and put capable managers back in charge. Realize that the higher-ups in the HR department are in cahoots with the managers that are causing dysfunction (as has been noted numerous times on this review board). Don't expect HR to pinpoint the sources of the problem for you. Churning and burning through employees is expensive, inefficient, and is ultimately causing deep and long-term dissatisfaction among your clients. Regardless of the WebMD brand name, clients aren't going to stick around if they're constantly dealing with the disorganized management of their accounts that comes with such a high turnover rate. Allowing this culture to continue is putting you at risk for losing vital business.

Strategic Account Executive

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Good salary and opportunities to move into other positions for most people.

Cons

There is always a struggle with staffing. You will "take on" new accounts supposedly for a short time and end up with them forever.

Advice to Management

Work harder to retain your top talent. Get creative and proactive.

RSS Feed </> Embed