WebMD Health
www.webmd.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

David J. Schlanger

Pros:
  • "Casual dress code, ability to work from home (occasionally)"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Can be challenging at times to achieve good work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good and bad, but depends on what you're looking for

Software Development Manager (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood work/life Balance. Medium sized company with good growth opportunities. Depending on your particular manager, they can be supportive of furthering individual career growth.

ConsCrappy raises for existing employees. Younger employees that advance their career rapidly can have a hard time keeping up with salaries at other companies. Lots of gossip due to the size of the environment. Annual layoffs instead of firing obvious under performers through the year rattles survivors

Back on Track

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

ProsThe executive management team is better now and seems to be more aligned. Still has a good brand name. You have to ability to get recognized for working hard.

ConsThe company still has pockets of ineffective mid level management in some key areas. It could be a more exciting company if it embraced a more entrepreneurial spirit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to make a splash. Stop trying to build everything in house.

Good Culture / Solid Future Plans

Director of Strategic Accounts (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

ProsI thought the culture here was fantastic. There were a ton of A players, who were passionate about the space and the kind of work we were doing.
Very much a place where you are given freedom to make the most of it.

ConsVery entreprenurial, you have to pull from the organization what you want and need. It isn't always offered. ( this can be good or bad ).

Advice to Senior ManagementSince I left, it is very clear that management recognized the challenges ahead and took steps to figure out a path forward for success. Digital is ever evolving. Ensure you have your finger on the pulse of where digital is going in healthcare. I'd love to see real investment in R&D to try new product ideas and services out.

Good and bad. Depends on what you are looking for

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people, interesting clients and good compensation.

ConsUnstable environment with a lot of turnover and not enough resources to do your job well.

Lost its soul and it's vision.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

ProsMany smart people who really care about the company and its success. Fairly flexible work schedule but varies greatly from team to team.

ConsNo longer cares about the people who work there. No career paths and dictates job changes to employees without thought to a match in skill set or people's desired growth. No longer cares about the brand. No one setting a company vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop just chasing the dollars and listen to the people who actually do the work and talk to clients. As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others. —Bill Gates

Director, Strategic Partnerships

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary and commission is very good at WebMD. Growth is also a pro as the company recognizes talent and allows talented individuals to move through the ranks at a faster pace than other places I have seen.

ConsThere is little accountability amongst various departments at WebMD which makes it very hard for a sales team to get things done. Senior management is also less concerned about their employees as they are about their own bottom line

Good Company, Intelligent Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health as a contractor for more than a year

Pros-Lot of intelligent employees willing to help each other out on various projects
-Ability to own projects on your own once you've been trained
-Bagel Fridays were a plus

Cons-Environment was almost too calm. Atmosphere needs to liven up a touch.
-This may have changes but some of the managers lived for the job. Need to understand work/live balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue helping to train new employees and allow them to own their projects. Do not micromanage.

Lead Market Champion

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work life balance. Culture and people are great.

ConsI wish we were a little more disconnected from the NY office. Just a different culture

Decent, until it's terrible

ProsFree water
Flexible hours
Above-average pay (in certain departments)

ConsThis is a poorly managed company that does not value its employees. A select few in the in-crowd have been promoted numerous times in several years without any clear contribution to the company. Everyone else has been left to rot, and the feeling in the office is palpable. I've visited livelier hospices.

Even if you get promoted (I did), expect to be simultaneously stabbed in the back (I was).

Everyone in leadership seems to be biding their time for... something. I don't know what. Retirement, a buyout, a hostile takeover, a quick death? They keep their heads down and continue to follow the same path, year after year. Not the best strategy for an internet company.

If you have ideas, keep them to yourself or take them elsewhere. At best, they will be ignored. Otherwise, your manager will either take credit for them or else feel threatened by you. You definitely won't be rewarded for them, and you will rarely see them implemented -- in any form.

You want help from HR? Good luck finding them -- they are always at the other office, without fail, probably busy writing the few positive reviews on this site. It's not worth it anyway, because they are only there to help management, not you.

If you are ok with wasting your daylight hours on meaningless projects that never come to fruition just to collect a paycheck, you might just love it here. If you're a masochist, definitely sign yourself up. If you want to enjoy your work, contribute ideas, and learn something in the process, run away quickly.

Oh, and the vacation time is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementNext time, make the layoffs from the top down. Too many upper-level people have been there for too long (5 years, 10 years, more). The company is stale and barely keeping afloat. However, I suspect you don't want more than that anyway. In which case, carry on and keep dumping that stock.

Solid place to work (Medscape)

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere are many talented/friendly people working here. Very loose dress code. Management pretty much all leave at 5 on the dot. No one really looking over your shoulder as long as you get your work done. How you break up your time is very flexible. There's a Ballys across the courtyard for lunchtime workouts. Lots of reasonably priced food in the area. Company parties are pretty good when they do happen. Free lunch during lunch time meetings. Free bagel fridays.

ConsAgile is the buzzword and its mostly used by project leaders and "big-idea" people to think things through half-assed which results in huge amounts of development time being wasted. The idea of "I'll know what I want when I see it" that clueless clients have unfortunately extend to project managers and ux leaders that really should have saw issues in wireframe/design stages when it could have been quickly resolved.
Meetings are often pointless and a waste of time unfortunately it seems that some people's only existence at the company are to perpetuate them for some feeling of purpose. Management are "lifers" and their priority is to hold on to their job and keep things easy for them, technology-wise the company is very far behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do what they are great at. If you are not a big picture guy, or a designer, or a ux guy, or a developer, stop using your weight to control things and instead leave that stuff for the people who currently do that for a living. Honestly, your place really is just making sure we're happy so we do what we do best.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WebMD Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WebMD Health CEO David J. Schlanger. All 164 reviews posted anonymously by WebMD Health employees.