WebMD Health
www.webmd.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

David J. Schlanger

Pros:
  • "Casual dress code, ability to work from home (occasionally)"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Can be challenging at times to achieve good work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Internship

I worked at WebMD Health

ProsHad a great experience interning for a summer with WebMD. Everyone was very helpful in making my time there valuable. Met many great people.

ConsNo cons, working for them was a pleasant experience.

Good and bad, but depends on what you're looking for

Software Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood work/life Balance. Medium sized company with good growth opportunities. Depending on your particular manager, they can be supportive of furthering individual career growth.

ConsCrappy raises for existing employees. Younger employees that advance their career rapidly can have a hard time keeping up with salaries at other companies. Lots of gossip due to the size of the environment. Annual layoffs instead of firing obvious under performers through the year rattles survivors

Back on Track

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

ProsThe executive management team is better now and seems to be more aligned. Still has a good brand name. You have to ability to get recognized for working hard.

ConsThe company still has pockets of ineffective mid level management in some key areas. It could be a more exciting company if it embraced a more entrepreneurial spirit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to make a splash. Stop trying to build everything in house.

Good Culture / Solid Future Plans

Director of Strategic Accounts (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

ProsI thought the culture here was fantastic. There were a ton of A players, who were passionate about the space and the kind of work we were doing.
Very much a place where you are given freedom to make the most of it.

ConsVery entreprenurial, you have to pull from the organization what you want and need. It isn't always offered. ( this can be good or bad ).

Advice to Senior ManagementSince I left, it is very clear that management recognized the challenges ahead and took steps to figure out a path forward for success. Digital is ever evolving. Ensure you have your finger on the pulse of where digital is going in healthcare. I'd love to see real investment in R&D to try new product ideas and services out.

Good and bad. Depends on what you are looking for

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people, interesting clients and good compensation.

ConsUnstable environment with a lot of turnover and not enough resources to do your job well.

Restructuring. Tough work environment.

Client Services (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocation in Portland is great. Many smart, dedicated people. Decent initial salary if you negotiate effectively up front. The content matter is genuinely interesting

ConsBusiness plan and goals appear to be based on stock price rather than what is best for clients and employees.
Upper management is moving chess pieces (employees) to keep stock price in order without a vision to manage the changes thrust into place. Now that middle management in PDX has been eliminated, it will be interesting to see how services and implementations run.
Some of the systems that support the health platform are really antiquated. Dangerous for a technology solution set.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your short term and long term vision when full scale changes / cuts happen. Turn the mirrors on yourselves.

Lost its soul and it's vision.

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

ProsMany smart people who really care about the company and its success. Fairly flexible work schedule but varies greatly from team to team.

ConsNo longer cares about the people who work there. No career paths and dictates job changes to employees without thought to a match in skill set or people's desired growth. No longer cares about the brand. No one setting a company vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop just chasing the dollars and listen to the people who actually do the work and talk to clients. As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others. —Bill Gates

Director, Strategic Partnerships

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary and commission is very good at WebMD. Growth is also a pro as the company recognizes talent and allows talented individuals to move through the ranks at a faster pace than other places I have seen.

ConsThere is little accountability amongst various departments at WebMD which makes it very hard for a sales team to get things done. Senior management is also less concerned about their employees as they are about their own bottom line

Good Company, Intelligent Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WebMD Health as a contractor for more than a year

Pros-Lot of intelligent employees willing to help each other out on various projects
-Ability to own projects on your own once you've been trained
-Bagel Fridays were a plus

Cons-Environment was almost too calm. Atmosphere needs to liven up a touch.
-This may have changes but some of the managers lived for the job. Need to understand work/live balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue helping to train new employees and allow them to own their projects. Do not micromanage.

Lead Market Champion

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work life balance. Culture and people are great.

ConsI wish we were a little more disconnected from the NY office. Just a different culture

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WebMD Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WebMD Health CEO David J. Schlanger. All 166 reviews posted anonymously by WebMD Health employees.