WebMD Health Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014
2.7

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place - years ago

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible company that valued families and didn't pressure you for running home to get the kids or to care for a sick loved one.

Cons

Promotional opportunities were rare and at the time it was who you knew, not how well you performed

Remember the people that connect with users. And keep your integrity. It's OK to say no to an advertiser that could damage the hard earned credibility the company still holds.

WebMD Review

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to start a career & get the company brand name on your resume.

Cons

I recommend leaving after no more than two years; chances of promotion are low and salaries are lower than industry standard. There is a great deal of incompetence in middle management.

Enjoyed my time here.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty laid back atmosphere. Individuals are great to work with.

Cons

Nothing really, other than I don't think I was paid as much as I should have been.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best jobs I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly, smart, dedicated colleagues. No one is looking over my shoulder. Liberal with work from home days. Competitive salary. Very little overtime. Office closes early the day before holidays. Demonstrated value of work-life balance. If you show that you are responsible within the scope of your job, it is recognized and appreciated...I feel like my managers want to make sure I have everything I need. My colleagues were always available to me as a resource when I was learning the ropes. Everyone I've dealt with is eternally polite, courteous, convivial, and friendly.

Cons

I have no complaints at this time. Absolutely none.

At least in my department, PLEASE keep doing what you're doing. You make me want to come to work every day and I thank you.

Good if you work on big pharma accounts

Current Employee - Senior Sales Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

leader in industry - all pharma companies need to use

Cons

difficult to sell anything outside of pharma

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My immediate manager was great; working for a company with a good reputation helped open doors in a new sales situation.

Cons

The company rested on its laurels; it's best days were behind it. As such, it was afraid to innovate and bring new products to market. The technology platform was old and the company refused to invest in it.

Look forward, not backwards, and improve the operating platform and the product line-up.

Health Educator III

Current Employee - Spanish Health Educator  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Spanish Health Educator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are awesome, a lot of vacation offered that is about it. oh yeah and free coffee.

Cons

WebMD is more interested in making profits through numbers and not really how a health educator impacts a life.

How about focusing on why the turnover rate is so high in health coaching and focus on being realistic and what we are really here for, health not money.

Disappointing 6 years, overall lack of strategic direction, commitment and leadership

Current Employee - Upper Level Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Upper Level Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits and very caring, committed people until they make a decision to leave.

Cons

Overall lack of strategic direction and support from executive management who only seem to care about themselves and lining their own packets at bonus award time. Check the public disclosure records and see for yourself the past couple of years. While at same time cutting well earned bonuses for our employees.

The Chairman of the Board has fired three CEO's in past few years. A couple of whom were well-liked by employees and were doing as best they could under the Chairmans dictatorship and still lost their jobs. Discovery for yourself how many top and middle business leaders have left the company in recent months. It's because they cannot and will not take it any more.The crush your initative, spirit and self-esteem here. After six years I am seeking another position and I am very bitter about it because we are in a field that helps people stay well and get fit and yet, they treat us like we are bodies without a spirit, without ideas and without emotions. It's a shame but I wish this on know one else so think twice before considering empoloyment with WebMD or WebMD Health Services here in Portland, OR.

Another concern is our human resources team. They are led around like puppets and cannot make a difference because the New York leaders do not allow independent thinking and from what I have seen and heard - they do not respect HR. Our own Portland based HR Director was the second to resign in the past five years because he could not put up with the NY BS any more.We also have a hotheaded tempermental director of recruitment in NY who looks, talks and acts like he is still in the Marine Corps.How he is able to keep his job the way he treats and speaks to people is incredible. I hear that he has high turnover on his recruitment team - little wonder. The head of NY HR is nothing more than a mouth piece for the ELT.

Not to forget the business development team - what team! There is no effective Biz Dev team because NY doesnt feel its necessary. Just keep doing things the way they have always done them and when they take a down turn fire the CEO or business president. Our turnover in Portland and Atlanta is beyond local market norms and it's only getting worse. The company in recent years has had to bribe us with options and special bonuses just to try to keep some of us from leaving. In the meantime competitors are biting at our heels and stealing our top employees.As soon as the next round of promised bonuses are paid I and I know others will be walking too.

Get a clue and listen to our people who are leaving.

Ineptitude At Its Best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

The location was terrific! Being in the midst of Midtown is like no other working experience. The benefits are decent, and the working hours are flexible.

Cons

Inept senior-level management; favoritism between senior-level management and lower-level employees, regardless of their inability to complete simple tasks that generate revenue. This type of treatment harbors resentment amongst those who do a great job, but are overlooked in favor of the Best Friends Club.

WebMD has had 3 different CEOs within two years. As a company, they lack vision, and no one knows what the company wants to accomplish, or what it wants to be.

great potential, horrible leadership

Former Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

company positioning and opportunity, work-life balance, small company ways of working.

Cons

sales-dominant culture, more back-stabbing than collaborative, unimpressive senior leadership, all blocking & tackling and no overall strategy. uses strength of the webmd brand as a crutch.

work on the culture.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!