WebMD Health

www.webmd.com

WebMD Health Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Company is toxic for employees and completely lost

ProsThere are not many reasons to work at the company anymore besides for the sake of having a job and getting a check. WebMD did have a lot of smart and talented employees but many have left for other companies.

ConsWebMD is completely toxic place for employees. There is no more vision and the consistent Org and departmental changes leaves one to wonder where the company is really going . Leadership keeps bringing in new management that is very sketchy, questionable and is adding more turmoil. Moral and work enthusiasm has been decimated by the management which is the type of atmosphere they foster and I severely doubt that it will get better anytime soon.

There is no growth, advancement and do NOT expect to be rewarded for hard and good work. It is simply not appreciated, you may get a Pizza Party and a pat on the back.

Yes, the stock price went up but if you let go of half of your work force, free up the payroll, cut most of employees benefits and perks, dump the additional work load on the remaining employees, make them work double or triple and not having to compensate them for it. I would think the books should look pretty good but that business model is absolutely not sustainable and eventually will backfire.

It also says a lot if the COO/CTO of many years abruptly resigned to go somewhere else after giving employees pep talks reassuring that WebMD will turnaround and want to make things better. It is quite evident that it is not the case. If WebMD doesn't proactively change things they will lose the talent that has been shouldering all of the productivity that it has left. I didn't realize how bad it really was until I left and many others feel the same way.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this point, I believe, only a buy out by a company like Google, Microsoft, Yahoo will get things moving. Those companies understand how to inspire and nurture employees to want to do well. There are a lot of ideas and capabilities within your work force but no one wants to share it with a company that doesn't appreciate or care about its people.

Not a bad company

ProsCompensation
    Bonus
    Laid back
    Flexibility
    Good manager
    Descent time off with everything combined (starting 12 vacation, 10 sick, 10 holidays)
    Free fruit, coffee

ConsLow morale since the layoffs
    Managers offsite
    High turnover
    Could be more vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the layoffs were the worst decision in many years, especially for the web development team. These jobs are hardly recoverable, due to the lack of developers.

Lack of growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworker relationships and work life balance

ConsVery little upward mobility for high performers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSharp People, Cool Mission and well treated.

ConsThe PTO policy is not competitive and Raises are not competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease PTO and provide Raises to keep up with Mkt pay rates.

Great Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad a great experience interning for a summer with WebMD. Everyone was very helpful in making my time there valuable. Met many great people.

ConsNo cons, working for them was a pleasant experience.

Restructuring. Tough work environment.

Client Services (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLocation in Portland is great. Many smart, dedicated people. Decent initial salary if you negotiate effectively up front. The content matter is genuinely interesting

ConsBusiness plan and goals appear to be based on stock price rather than what is best for clients and employees.
    Upper management is moving chess pieces (employees) to keep stock price in order without a vision to manage the changes thrust into place. Now that middle management in PDX has been eliminated, it will be interesting to see how services and implementations run.
    Some of the systems that support the health platform are really antiquated. Dangerous for a technology solution set.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your short term and long term vision when full scale changes / cuts happen. Turn the mirrors on yourselves.

Lost its soul and it's vision.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany smart people who really care about the company and its success. Fairly flexible work schedule but varies greatly from team to team.

ConsNo longer cares about the people who work there. No career paths and dictates job changes to employees without thought to a match in skill set or people's desired growth. No longer cares about the brand. No one setting a company vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop just chasing the dollars and listen to the people who actually do the work and talk to clients. As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others. —Bill Gates

Good Culture / Solid Future Plans

Director of Strategic Accounts (Former Employee)

ProsI thought the culture here was fantastic. There were a ton of A players, who were passionate about the space and the kind of work we were doing.
    Very much a place where you are given freedom to make the most of it.

ConsVery entreprenurial, you have to pull from the organization what you want and need. It isn't always offered. ( this can be good or bad ).

Advice to Senior ManagementSince I left, it is very clear that management recognized the challenges ahead and took steps to figure out a path forward for success. Digital is ever evolving. Ensure you have your finger on the pulse of where digital is going in healthcare. I'd love to see real investment in R&D to try new product ideas and services out.

Good and bad, but depends on what you're looking for

Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood work/life Balance. Medium sized company with good growth opportunities. Depending on your particular manager, they can be supportive of furthering individual career growth.

ConsCrappy raises for existing employees. Younger employees that advance their career rapidly can have a hard time keeping up with salaries at other companies. Lots of gossip due to the size of the environment. Annual layoffs instead of firing obvious under performers through the year rattles survivors

Good and bad. Depends on what you are looking for

ProsGood people, interesting clients and good compensation.

ConsUnstable environment with a lot of turnover and not enough resources to do your job well.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!