WebMD Health Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014
2.7

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I was in for the long haul until I saw this place wasn't good for my health

Current Employee - Medscape Professional  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Medscape Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Your coworkers. Specifically the team you are working within.
    - Ability to work from home.
    - Brand name on your resume.
    - Vending machines, water, and bagels.

Cons

- Not a true work/life balance considering that you end up working more than 9-5 and also on the weekend, multiple times of the year. You do not receive overtime pay.
    - Understaffed, leading to heavy workload and unrealistic deadlines for the remaining staff.
    - Stressful environment. Not good for your overall health, to be expected to work under stressful conditions for a long period of time.
    - Low morale. No true emotional investment. It's just a paycheck until something better comes along.
    - No faith in management. They keep saying things will get better and it has yet to. It keeps getting worse.
    - The company is stagnant.
    - There doesn't feel like any career advancement in this company. You're not learning any new skills that can be applied to future positions.

Listen to the requests for the middle management for more staff. You cannot expect everyone to continue as is. It's not good for your employee's health.

Great for the Resume, Bad for Everything Else

Former Employee - Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learned a lot from some very talented, passionate, and intelligent people; free bagels on Friday.

Cons

Sweatshop mentality; paranoia and disrespect are pervasive; if you work here, you are not happy. If you are happy, then you just put in your resignation notice.

You desperately need to improve the corporate culture if you hope to retain the talent. Encourage (instead of discourage) interdepartmental relations. Show people that there is more than the assembly line of work --- that there is a reason to strive for better. Make procedural changes that take into account the actual people who will be implementing them! Address insubordination and disrespect.

A pretty outside but weak foundation.

Former Employee - Health Educator  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Health Educator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's WebMD. The name is ubiquitous and well known. You will receive a lot of experience, quickly, due to the workload and high numerical standards.

The recruiters and HR staff are great at finding young, bright, employees. You will possibly meet friends/coworkers with high ambitions. Stay in touch.

Cons

For a company with so much potential, the atmosphere was very adolescent, with little leadership from higher management. Sales and marketing to potential/current customers was drastically prioritized. Employees are treated like telemarketers at a call center, scripted, and listened to for "quality".

Procedures for employee health and upper level communications were hypocritical and unsatisfactory. Growth was directly related to your clique and ability to work long hours and stick to the script. Disappointing environment.

Create a healthier work environment. Put genuine stock in employees. Improve staff trust and rapport across hierarchy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared to tread water

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally great people working at the ground level. You'll become an adept at creating "something out of nothing" and keeping your cool in extreme situations. Some interesting products and projects. Free coffee.

Cons

I must solidly repeat the cries of cronyism that have been cropping up in the last few reviews. Do not ever expect to be treated fairly. Favoritism is shown toward those who can play politics and cliques well, which is forcing talent away at a rapid pace. After the layoffs there are still too many on staff who play CYA games instead of contributing to the company.

If you have any love for your people or even just the stock prices - please clear out the bad seeds and at least some of the politics and nonsense. Let people do their work without jumping through so many hoops. I have never seen a place that makes it so hard to perform a job.

Nepotism = No Trust

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Office are nice
    Salary is competitive
    Strong workforce

Cons

How does the leading health information provider that sells space to the richest companies in the world still manage to fail?

As a former employee, let me explain how:

Nepotism. If you're considering WebMD and want my advice, my first answer would be a question "are you friends with any current director or VP?" If the answer is "no" I would simply keep looking. That one factor is the single biggest variable in your likelihood of success at WebMD. If you're not a friend, all your great ideas and energy will be seen as a threat. I've seen it over and over during my 3 year stint with the company. The Atlanta office is basically run like a government agency, the only difference are that the hours are longer and the work is more intense.

I read a Glassdoor review from a WebMD HR person and they nailed it. If you're a high achiever, and you're not someone's longtime friend, you'll be perceived as a threat. Forget about transparency on growth and development because there is none. If you work hard, you may get a an official email saying thanks, and sadly some sideways stares from your supervisor. Work hard enough, just not TOO hard. Ask to grow, but don't seem ambitious. Yes, it's very complicated, but the downward trajectory of the company is very simple.

For all those hoping that having a "great brand on my resume" will make up for this malaise, you should probably also consider the opportunity cost to your career as you stagnate for years working so hard to receive so little in return, with no promise of a brighter future.

Take a chance and hire someone who's not your buddy. Get out of your comfort zone. This is a publicly traded company. Start acting like it.

A Wellness Company With a Workaholic Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart employees who share many creative and analytical skills.

Cons

Poor work-life balance
    Directors treat staff with disrespect
    No flexibility in terms of hours or telecommuting
    Workaholic culture

Practice what you preach. Why do you encourage your readers to take care of their health but managers and directors make their direct employees feel guilt when they need time off for a doctor's appointment? Really?

So much better elsewhere

Former Employee - Health Coach  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Health Coach in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Young atmosphere
    Met good friends through working here

Cons

Huge turnover rate
    Poor company values
    Since it was my first job out of college, I didn't know what a poor company it was until I worked elsewhere.
    WebMD is constantly losing clients since we value how many calls we can make per hour to employees vs quality of calls and forging relationships
    Basically a huge call center

Horrible Upper Management

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some really great and talented people doing the actual work. Flexible, casual work environment

Cons

Absolutely no transparency into how projects are being mismanaged and inefficient. Work is getting done with people working almost 24/7 due to inefficient management of projects. Products are way behind in the field. Absolutely no career path in mind for employees.

Scale down on the upper management and get more people in the trenches that know what is going on internally instead of on the stock market alone!

Never been at a company that deliberately wants to fail

I have been working at WebMD Health

Pros

Very talented people at the company but many are leaving or looking to leave, but that's about it.

Cons

Probably more than can be written here.

Bad management all around, very out of touch and have no real understanding about technology their knowledge is very dated. The company has really so much potential but for some reason we keep getting duds in the leadership roles. We lost so many good and talented people but yet all of the top heavy management were able to keep their jobs not sure why because they are about 80% of the problem. Here are bullet points why the company is going down the toilet
    - No Employee Retention
    Over the past 6+ months the leadership team was able to demoralize this company to lowest as it has ever been. They have no plan to change this.
    - Leadership is totally out of touch with what the company does
    We create the traffic, the content and the purpose but managment is so clueless and they shut any real initiatives down or simply ignore them.
    - Maybe they just trying to make the books look good on paper and could careless if the company will pull through or not.
    - Employees do twice as much work with less resources. how long do they think that this will go on?

You can have an allstar team but if their is no leadership and coaching, you will still lose.

I just watched several interviews with top executive of Google, Yahoo, Zappo's, etc. and everything they are stating in the success of their company's success. WebMD is doing the exact opposite.

The Number 1 thing all of these executives stated was "Investment in their Employees" as they drive their products, innovation, ideas, vision, etc. However, WebMD idea is to cut everything and make the employees work like slaves and tweak a few products here and there. This what WebMD's idea of changing the game is. Doing the same thing but adding a few bells and whistles. Good luck with that.

WebMD needs new leadership period. Not out dated individuals that command high salaries that can't see past yesterday and know how to ignite inspiration not demoralize the entire enviornment daily with false promises and fake motivational speeches that have no substance.

Totally mismanaged especially in Atlanta

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

great people with lots of talent
    Great location
    Used to be a fun place to work

Cons

Well, what isn't bad about the company? Sadly, it wasn't like this all the time. Once all this management was brought on board things became worse by the day. Majority of the senior management team are cooks without cooking knowledge and some don't even know how to use the pots and pans but yet they decide the recipes.

I truly feel sorry for those employees that were left behind because I know that Webmd will work them to the bone without providing any real compensation or rewards. I can only blame the leadership because the company wasn't like this in the past it all started around the office relocation in 2010 or so.

It is very frustrating having to listen to individuals that have never designed or developed anything in their lives but get to make the decisions, even worse is that the results are so blatant in your face (not in a good way) but maybe this is the direction they want to take the company.

I can tell you it is very disheartening to see a company which has an excellent reputation and was doing some great things but being undermined by some really bad leadership and decisions. Unfortunately, it appears that the company is very reactive and they haven't figured out that the employees are the best assets because they have created all of the products, they understand the technology, they live the development but the guy that doesn't have a clue gets to make the call.

I believe those that were laid off actually were the lucky ones because they won't have a problem finding employment anywhere else. Those left behind will have to work for 2 now since half of the office was dismissed, even though they stated it wouldn't be the case but you can't believe a word they say.

I can't predict the future for Webmd but from where I was, I see hard times but sometimes things have to be destroyed before they can be rebuild. Just wish my former coworkers good luck and keep your head up. On the bright side those that will work for new companies may be able to make recommendations!

Pay employees what they are worth, the insulting yearly increase is not even worth the effort the company puts the employees through with this tedious review process that is utterly ridiculous.

Send all of the leadership to boot camp at top performing companies so they can learn, how to reward employees properly which in turn gets them motivated. Right now, all of the people just want their work day to be over. Or just get new and real management.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!