WebMD Health Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.7

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best jobs I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly, smart, dedicated colleagues. No one is looking over my shoulder. Liberal with work from home days. Competitive salary. Very little overtime. Office closes early the day before holidays. Demonstrated value of work-life balance. If you show that you are responsible within the scope of your job, it is recognized and appreciated...I feel like my managers want to make sure I have everything I need. My colleagues were always available to me as a resource when I was learning the ropes. Everyone I've dealt with is eternally polite, courteous, convivial, and friendly.

Cons

I have no complaints at this time. Absolutely none.

At least in my department, PLEASE keep doing what you're doing. You make me want to come to work every day and I thank you.

Disappointing 6 years, overall lack of strategic direction, commitment and leadership

Current Employee - Upper Level Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Upper Level Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits and very caring, committed people until they make a decision to leave.

Cons

Overall lack of strategic direction and support from executive management who only seem to care about themselves and lining their own packets at bonus award time. Check the public disclosure records and see for yourself the past couple of years. While at same time cutting well earned bonuses for our employees.

The Chairman of the Board has fired three CEO's in past few years. A couple of whom were well-liked by employees and were doing as best they could under the Chairmans dictatorship and still lost their jobs. Discovery for yourself how many top and middle business leaders have left the company in recent months. It's because they cannot and will not take it any more.The crush your initative, spirit and self-esteem here. After six years I am seeking another position and I am very bitter about it because we are in a field that helps people stay well and get fit and yet, they treat us like we are bodies without a spirit, without ideas and without emotions. It's a shame but I wish this on know one else so think twice before considering empoloyment with WebMD or WebMD Health Services here in Portland, OR.

Another concern is our human resources team. They are led around like puppets and cannot make a difference because the New York leaders do not allow independent thinking and from what I have seen and heard - they do not respect HR. Our own Portland based HR Director was the second to resign in the past five years because he could not put up with the NY BS any more.We also have a hotheaded tempermental director of recruitment in NY who looks, talks and acts like he is still in the Marine Corps.How he is able to keep his job the way he treats and speaks to people is incredible. I hear that he has high turnover on his recruitment team - little wonder. The head of NY HR is nothing more than a mouth piece for the ELT.

Not to forget the business development team - what team! There is no effective Biz Dev team because NY doesnt feel its necessary. Just keep doing things the way they have always done them and when they take a down turn fire the CEO or business president. Our turnover in Portland and Atlanta is beyond local market norms and it's only getting worse. The company in recent years has had to bribe us with options and special bonuses just to try to keep some of us from leaving. In the meantime competitors are biting at our heels and stealing our top employees.As soon as the next round of promised bonuses are paid I and I know others will be walking too.

Get a clue and listen to our people who are leaving.

Lack of leadship and management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are generally friendly and want to help. Work-life balance is alright. Office location is pretty good. Everyone seems very aware that things aren't working well. If your manager is good (seems quite rare) or well positioned politically, things can be pretty good in your team.

Cons

Organizational alignment and strategic planning and action seem to be absent for many departments, with stock price per employee as the only mangement metric of interest. Many pieces of the technology stack are older solutions that have been shoehorned into newer requirements, and it shows. Data is bad across the organization, and while some of this has to do with general issues in medical data, there are clear gaps in data handling processes and technologies, particularly data import systems that also suffer from age.

Problems are compounded by a lack of organizational maturity. Business processes and procedures are almost entirely absent. Change management is not practiced outside of technology releases, which compounds difficulties in addressing organizational issues by making even tactical attempts to address strategic issues more messy and painful than they need to be.

Additionally, most senior personnel have been promoted from within the company. While this certainly shows dedication to the existing workforce, it has also meant that finding new (or even industry-standard) approaches can be difficult and implementing them even more so. This lack of fresh perspective is evident in repeated tactical approaches to solving recurring issues instead of strategic approaches to eliminate the cause of issues.

The organization desperately needs a change management process, and I believe adoption of a solid change management process and addition of personnel from outside the company to implement and administer the process would go a long way to helping many of the problems. Following this, the new process needs to be used to generate some actual organizational cohesion, from a shared understanding of the overall strategy of the organization to developing a common language for discussing the fundamentals of the business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great contributors, poor leadership

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance most of the time, somewhat flexible schedule with some WFH, skilled contributors, everybody in Atlanta office is very nice. Projects are enjoyable when NYC is not involved. Still a good brand somehow.

Cons

Technical stack is a joke and no one seems interested in taking meaningful action to improve it

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Execs are detached from day-to-day and swoop in at the end of projects to add input of questionable value. NYC PMO and engineering culture constantly throws their own people under the bus.

Atlanta is a satellite office and is frequently shut out of decision making

Restore autonomy Atlanta engineering and project management had a few years ago, reporting to NYC isn't working. Or move those groups to NYC.

Executives need to trust their people and get out of their way.

Burn down the technical stack and start fresh.

Cares little about investing in employees or company, all about short-term gain

Current Employee - Marketing Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location and subsidized snacks

Cons

The culture here is the worst I've experienced in my career. The company has done very little to enable their employees to succeed. Innovation is stifled by too many cooks in the kitchen, diluted accountability and little investment. To top it off, the benefits are horrendous. The HR policy is to do the bare minimum and care little if employees raise concerns.

You hire smart people but create an environment that makes them want to quit. It's a competitive job landscape out there for digital media. Innovative people want an innovative and rewarding environment. Keep and enable your talent and your business will grow.

Company is toxic for employees and completely lost

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are not many reasons to work at the company anymore besides for the sake of having a job and getting a check. WebMD did have a lot of smart and talented employees but many have left for other companies.

Cons

WebMD is completely toxic place for employees. There is no more vision and the consistent Org and departmental changes leaves one to wonder where the company is really going . Leadership keeps bringing in new management that is very sketchy, questionable and is adding more turmoil. Moral and work enthusiasm has been decimated by the management which is the type of atmosphere they foster and I severely doubt that it will get better anytime soon.

There is no growth, advancement and do NOT expect to be rewarded for hard and good work. It is simply not appreciated, you may get a Pizza Party and a pat on the back.

Yes, the stock price went up but if you let go of half of your work force, free up the payroll, cut most of employees benefits and perks, dump the additional work load on the remaining employees, make them work double or triple and not having to compensate them for it. I would think the books should look pretty good but that business model is absolutely not sustainable and eventually will backfire.

It also says a lot if the COO/CTO of many years abruptly resigned to go somewhere else after giving employees pep talks reassuring that WebMD will turnaround and want to make things better. It is quite evident that it is not the case. If WebMD doesn't proactively change things they will lose the talent that has been shouldering all of the productivity that it has left. I didn't realize how bad it really was until I left and many others feel the same way.

At this point, I believe, only a buy out by a company like Google, Microsoft, Yahoo will get things moving. Those companies understand how to inspire and nurture employees to want to do well. There are a lot of ideas and capabilities within your work force but no one wants to share it with a company that doesn't appreciate or care about its people.

Great Place to Learn and Grow

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New Technology Adoption
    Smart People
    Open Environment

Cons

Time Off
    Some cubes could be better

Focus on Employee Growth
    Making Employees vested in the Company

Great people, great brand

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and dedicated people, trusted brand and great content

Cons

Lots of organizational and leadership changes, too many priorities without enough resources

Lack of growth

I worked at WebMD Health

Pros

Coworker relationships and work life balance

Cons

Very little upward mobility for high performers

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sharp People, Cool Mission and well treated.

Cons

The PTO policy is not competitive and Raises are not competitive

Increase PTO and provide Raises to keep up with Mkt pay rates.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!