WebMD Health Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014
2.7

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Sales Reputation in Digital Sales - Do Not Work Here

Former Employee - Sales Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Brand name...but fading fast. Companies know WebMD but their competition is catching up fast and leaving them behind.

Cons

Digital sales force has been terribly run for years. It is known throughout the industry as being one of the worst sales environments in the digital space. This has been fostered by a cancerous political culture and ineffective management. Not only would I highly recommend staying away from WebMd as a seller but I would go further in saying if you are hiring, to stay away from employees who have worked at WebMD for a longer period of time.

If you have not left, leave.

Professionalism

I worked at WebMD Health as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

WebMD is staffed by a team of intelligent professionals, each experts in their respective fields. Most people had good attitudes.

Cons

Upper management frequently would make last minute changes that had a negative cascading effect on our integrated teams.

Solid place to work (Medscape)

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are many talented/friendly people working here. Very loose dress code. Management pretty much all leave at 5 on the dot. No one really looking over your shoulder as long as you get your work done. How you break up your time is very flexible. There's a Ballys across the courtyard for lunchtime workouts. Lots of reasonably priced food in the area. Company parties are pretty good when they do happen. Free lunch during lunch time meetings. Free bagel fridays.

Cons

Agile is the buzzword and its mostly used by project leaders and "big-idea" people to think things through half-assed which results in huge amounts of development time being wasted. The idea of "I'll know what I want when I see it" that clueless clients have unfortunately extend to project managers and ux leaders that really should have saw issues in wireframe/design stages when it could have been quickly resolved.
    Meetings are often pointless and a waste of time unfortunately it seems that some people's only existence at the company are to perpetuate them for some feeling of purpose. Management are "lifers" and their priority is to hold on to their job and keep things easy for them, technology-wise the company is very far behind.

Let people do what they are great at. If you are not a big picture guy, or a designer, or a ux guy, or a developer, stop using your weight to control things and instead leave that stuff for the people who currently do that for a living. Honestly, your place really is just making sure we're happy so we do what we do best.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working my Tail Off

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really sharp, smart people to work with, and overall I'd say many people are happy to work for the company

Cons

Tremendous working hours, most departments feel short staffed and overworked. The potential for burn out is high. It can feel a lot like individuals are working for the 'idea of the day' and that upper management can suffer from Shiney Toy Syndrome much too often.

Listen to people's ideas, be sensitive to workload, and take the time to celebrate those who are really working hard for you.

Great place to work as a stepping stone.

Former Employee - Associate Editor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Interesting work
    Nice colleagues

Cons

Little room for growth unless you're in the right clique.
    Rather closed minded to big, new ideas.

A downer

Former Employee - Associate Editor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some dedicated people, felt your work could make a difference, 25 cent sodas, cake day.

Cons

Treated contractors poorly, new ideas were publicly encouraged but never executed, total backstabbing culture, way too many upper level managers getting involved at the 11th hour after making no contribution throughout projects. if you're in the clique, then you're safe. if not, watch out. Not much emphasis on innovation.

The clock will run out on you too.

Great Company to Start at

I worked at WebMD Health as a contractor

Pros

great co-workers, fair compensation, fun place to work

Cons

little communication between coworker and management, a lot of work not enough people to fill all the needs. Also cant seem to keep CEO's longer than a year..

Good Company & Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible company that cares about work live balance

Cons

Some team leaders lack the technical knowledge to fully understand the vision

Very unprofessional: Don't even bother giving them 2 weeks notice as they might not respect it

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

A variety of free fruit available every day, some skilled coworkers who are a pleasure to work with.

They are very lucky that they got the large government health care website contract. That is saving both the WebMD website and the health services division.

Cons

I gave two weeks notice to this company and was informed on the day that I gave notice, that it would be my last day. That's entirely unprofessional. I had worked hard to ensure that all my work was complete before giving notice (even working until 1:00 A.M. the night before) and we were at the end of our release cycle so the manager just said he wouldn't need me for the next two weeks. Sure they might not absolutely need me, but that's breaking an unspoken social contract, and both the manager and I know that I could make myself useful during that time period. Giving notice is a courtesy that allows the employees to transfer knowledge and finish what they are working on when necessary, to the benefit of their employers. If the employer just decides to let the employee go early on a whim, then what is the possible benefit for the employee to give notice? I could have just not given notice and quit the day before my new job started, but unlike the engineering manager at WebMD, I conducted myself in a professional manner. Now I am left without a paycheck for the next couple of weeks (over Christmas), 3 paid holidays that I would have enjoyed over that period are history, and I quite likely will have to pay the full cost for insurance for my family for a month as typically insurance on a new job doesn't start until the end of the first month, while insurance from the previous job ends at the end of the final month. Thanks for penalizing me thousands of dollars because I had the courtesy to give you notice!

In addition there is no criteria to become a software architect, or data architect, or security architect at WebMD other than that you have worked there a long time. A couple of the architects were knowledgeable, but more often than not they are just longtime employees who are fully versed in the WebMD system with little software architecture and engineering knowledge. I had to chuckle at what supposed "experts" were saying in meetings.

Respect 2 weeks notice! You probably wouldn't like it if someone just quit with no notice, so don't just send employees packing who offer you the courtesy of notice.

Also, they should tackle some big rocks sometime instead of just piddling little incremental features. They get everything done, but at an extremely slow pace.

Great resume builder, horrible high-level management and employee engagement.

Former Employee - Telephonic Health Coach  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Telephonic Health Coach in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great resume builder
    Met some awesome people in the same life stage as me

Cons

No career path. WebMD always look outside of the organization instead of promoting from within.
    Terrible employee retention strategy - there isn't one.

Invest in and grow your employees instead of always looking outside to promote. This will improve morale which is in the gutter.

WebMD Health Photos

WB
Cafeteria
400 Colony Square
webmd

+ Add Photo

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!