WebMD Health Reviews

Reset

Nepotism = No Trust

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office are nice
    Salary is competitive
    Strong workforce

Cons

How does the leading health information provider that sells space to the richest companies in the world still manage to fail?

As a former employee, let me explain how:

Nepotism. If you're considering WebMD and want my advice, my first answer would be a question "are you friends with any current director or VP?" If the answer is "no" I would simply keep looking. That one factor is the single biggest variable in your likelihood of success at WebMD. If you're not a friend, all your great ideas and energy will be seen as a threat. I've seen it over and over during my 3 year stint with the company. The Atlanta office is basically run like a government agency, the only difference are that the hours are longer and the work is more intense.

I read a Glassdoor review from a WebMD HR person and they nailed it. If you're a high achiever, and you're not someone's longtime friend, you'll be perceived as a threat. Forget about transparency on growth and development because there is none. If you work hard, you may get a an official email saying thanks, and sadly some sideways stares from your supervisor. Work hard enough, just not TOO hard. Ask to grow, but don't seem ambitious. Yes, it's very complicated, but the downward trajectory of the company is very simple.

For all those hoping that having a "great brand on my resume" will make up for this malaise, you should probably also consider the opportunity cost to your career as you stagnate for years working so hard to receive so little in return, with no promise of a brighter future.

Advice to Management

Take a chance and hire someone who's not your buddy. Get out of your comfort zone. This is a publicly traded company. Start acting like it.

A Wellness Company With a Workaholic Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart employees who share many creative and analytical skills.

Cons

Poor work-life balance
    Directors treat staff with disrespect
    No flexibility in terms of hours or telecommuting
    Workaholic culture

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Why do you encourage your readers to take care of their health but managers and directors make their direct employees feel guilt when they need time off for a doctor's appointment? Really?

So much better elsewhere

Former Employee - Health Coach in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Health Coach in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Young atmosphere
    Met good friends through working here

Cons

Huge turnover rate
    Poor company values
    Since it was my first job out of college, I didn't know what a poor company it was until I worked elsewhere.
    WebMD is constantly losing clients since we value how many calls we can make per hour to employees vs quality of calls and forging relationships
    Basically a huge call center

Horrible Upper Management

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really great and talented people doing the actual work. Flexible, casual work environment

Cons

Absolutely no transparency into how projects are being mismanaged and inefficient. Work is getting done with people working almost 24/7 due to inefficient management of projects. Products are way behind in the field. Absolutely no career path in mind for employees.

Advice to Management

Scale down on the upper management and get more people in the trenches that know what is going on internally instead of on the stock market alone!

Never been at a company that deliberately wants to fail

I have been working at WebMD Health

Pros

Very talented people at the company but many are leaving or looking to leave, but that's about it.

Cons

Probably more than can be written here.

Bad management all around, very out of touch and have no real understanding about technology their knowledge is very dated. The company has really so much potential but for some reason we keep getting duds in the leadership roles. We lost so many good and talented people but yet all of the top heavy management were able to keep their jobs not sure why because they are about 80% of the problem. Here are bullet points why the company is going down the toilet
    - No Employee Retention
    Over the past 6+ months the leadership team was able to demoralize this company to lowest as it has ever been. They have no plan to change this.
    - Leadership is totally out of touch with what the company does
    We create the traffic, the content and the purpose but managment is so clueless and they shut any real initiatives down or simply ignore them.
    - Maybe they just trying to make the books look good on paper and could careless if the company will pull through or not.
    - Employees do twice as much work with less resources. how long do they think that this will go on?

Advice to Management

You can have an allstar team but if their is no leadership and coaching, you will still lose.

I just watched several interviews with top executive of Google, Yahoo, Zappo's, etc. and everything they are stating in the success of their company's success. WebMD is doing the exact opposite.

The Number 1 thing all of these executives stated was "Investment in their Employees" as they drive their products, innovation, ideas, vision, etc. However, WebMD idea is to cut everything and make the employees work like slaves and tweak a few products here and there. This what WebMD's idea of changing the game is. Doing the same thing but adding a few bells and whistles. Good luck with that.

WebMD needs new leadership period. Not out dated individuals that command high salaries that can't see past yesterday and know how to ignite inspiration not demoralize the entire enviornment daily with false promises and fake motivational speeches that have no substance.

Totally mismanaged especially in Atlanta

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

great people with lots of talent
    Great location
    Used to be a fun place to work

Cons

Well, what isn't bad about the company? Sadly, it wasn't like this all the time. Once all this management was brought on board things became worse by the day. Majority of the senior management team are cooks without cooking knowledge and some don't even know how to use the pots and pans but yet they decide the recipes.

I truly feel sorry for those employees that were left behind because I know that Webmd will work them to the bone without providing any real compensation or rewards. I can only blame the leadership because the company wasn't like this in the past it all started around the office relocation in 2010 or so.

It is very frustrating having to listen to individuals that have never designed or developed anything in their lives but get to make the decisions, even worse is that the results are so blatant in your face (not in a good way) but maybe this is the direction they want to take the company.

I can tell you it is very disheartening to see a company which has an excellent reputation and was doing some great things but being undermined by some really bad leadership and decisions. Unfortunately, it appears that the company is very reactive and they haven't figured out that the employees are the best assets because they have created all of the products, they understand the technology, they live the development but the guy that doesn't have a clue gets to make the call.

I believe those that were laid off actually were the lucky ones because they won't have a problem finding employment anywhere else. Those left behind will have to work for 2 now since half of the office was dismissed, even though they stated it wouldn't be the case but you can't believe a word they say.

I can't predict the future for Webmd but from where I was, I see hard times but sometimes things have to be destroyed before they can be rebuild. Just wish my former coworkers good luck and keep your head up. On the bright side those that will work for new companies may be able to make recommendations!

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth, the insulting yearly increase is not even worth the effort the company puts the employees through with this tedious review process that is utterly ridiculous.

Send all of the leadership to boot camp at top performing companies so they can learn, how to reward employees properly which in turn gets them motivated. Right now, all of the people just want their work day to be over. Or just get new and real management.

Just as stated, it went from bad to worse!!

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

I don't think there is much left

Cons

This company is about to turn into sweat shop. CEO and team keep iterating "innovation" but yet the workforce has been reduced tremendously on a already tight ship. The work for those left behind has probably doubled and they simply think that this is possible to "innovate" under those circumstance, it is very blatant that the new CEO never work in tech.

WebMD has no sense of employee retention, it must believe that it must be an honor to work for this brand. The company will have to ante up on the remainder of employees which pretty much has been the cream of crop or those with the most knowledge base because their workload has just double and the company has not mentioned any types of incentives to keep them around. A few will stick around to see if there will be some sort of compensation for the massive pressure placed upon them

The brand has much potential but unfortunately has been completely led wrong, if it doesn't get it right this time it may be the last straw. Not sure what happened but it used to be a fun company to be at. It turned from a sunny day into hurricane sandy. Not very excited about the future but miracles do happen on rare occasions maybe this will be one.

Advice to Management

Compensate and reward your employees, this is a tech company which requires a place of free thinking. You can't expect innovation or creativity when the talent is under constant pressure, unhappy, and poorly paid.

Most stressful job of my career. Walk away from the idea of working at WebMD now. Questionable practices!!

Former Employee - Advertising Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Great brand name, little competition to which they use to thier advantage, and follows strict guidelines for following medical/health related advertising. Great company parties.

Cons

Overpriced ad product, not customer cerntric, favoritism of certain staff, strong arm tactics with clients, and most of all so stuck on politics and company protocol that it was simply not an efficient business. Lots of internal power struggles and often felt like people would step all over eachother to maintain turf. In my experience, VERY questionable personal tactics by HR and Senior Managers to get you out the door, questionable review process, etc. I often felt the sense of favoritism and burn and churn on the employees. Pushing employees to push clients into areas that weren't always in thier best interest. I simply would not reccomend this company to anyone thinking about making a move there. My peers were great, but management was terrible. You had to be very sneaky, kiss up, bypass rules to survive here. I personally wish I had done my homework more carefully before accepting the position I did. What you have heard about the internal workings here are accurate. Caveat Emptor.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, do better job of tranining people and put the right managers in place for thier respective jobs.

Questionable Leadership

I have been working at WebMD Health

Pros

not much anymore, maybe free coffee and an office to go to

Cons

Company treats employees as kettle, keeps stating it wants to drive innovation but yet cut the actual workforce tremendously countering the intent. Workers stretched to over capacity BEFORE lay off, now severely reduced in talent and man power any type of innovation is questionable, remaining talent will have to pick up the additional work. Absolutely no type of incentives offered to employees remaining including, the standard yearly bonus or raises which more than likely have been cancelled as well, after months long endurance of severe stress and work conditions. The question currently lingering within the offices Laid off group may be actually the lucky group whereas those left behind will be subjected to more

The last few positive reviews on Glassdoor are misleading and possibly posted by HR or top management for damage control quite evident as those trump the negative that bare a more accurate picture of the state company wide

Advice to Management

You just don't get it and you will most likely create more of the same old. How can innovation be considered top priority when the plan is to designate more work to a leaner staff who will be will be dedicated to simply finding ways to maintain the day to day with no room to pursue "new" initiatives. Be sure to retain the remainder of employees by displaying some type of gratitude or appreciation otherwise they will follow suit to those 250 removed from the roster.

Not a destination if you want to actually advance your career

Current Employee - WebMD Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - WebMD Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, no one is in a rush to get anything done or ever make a decision so the hours are very manageable. Returning a colleague email within 48-36 hours is acceptable and common practice.

Cons

This company is full of incompetent leaders who are more interested in managing their personal portfolios than growing the business. The products are way behind the current industry, there is no innovation, bright people spend hours wasting their time trying to develop good ideas, only to have them shot down by senior leaders so the entire business is either paralyzed or stagnant. The investor spin on why the business is declining (e.g. due to patent cliffs) is a ridiculous excuse for lack of leadership, lack of vision, lack of innovation, and general incompetence throughout the ranks of the company. The new CEO appears more concerned in meetings to want to have the last word on every idea, rather than empowering smart leaders to develop and pursue good ideas for the business. I question his ability to turn the company around when his primary goal is to own everything.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO who knows how to recognize and leverage talent. Set a vision for growth, communicate the plan for growth, stop tolerating mediocre employees, transform the way decisions are made and empower middle managers, instigate timesheets across the board so you can begin to see who is working on what, and implement a more transparent process around bonuses and promotions.

RSS Feed </> Embed