WebMD Health Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.7

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great resume builder, horrible high-level management and employee engagement.

Former Employee - Telephonic Health Coach  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Telephonic Health Coach in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great resume builder
    Met some awesome people in the same life stage as me

Cons

No career path. WebMD always look outside of the organization instead of promoting from within.
    Terrible employee retention strategy - there isn't one.

Invest in and grow your employees instead of always looking outside to promote. This will improve morale which is in the gutter.

Quiet Desperation

Former Employee - Senior Editor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well-known brand, some smart and dynamic people, walking distance to Piedmont Park

Cons

Sweat-shop feel, fickle priorities from management that change on a whim, understaffed

Recent efforts to foster creativity, brainstorm, and collaborate need to increase exponentially. Schedule no-email/no Web surfing periods every day to allow blocks of work time, deeper thinking, and/or to force people to talk to co-workers.

Do regular team building and awareness training with staff to alleviate the bad morale and high levels of conflict.

Bottom line, hire more people and/or slow down the conveyor belt at this factory.

No one knew how to properly run the business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

The environment was amiable for the most part, aside from the usual people you find in every job setting.

Cons

No one knew what was going on there. Leadership was inept, and several executives allowed hourly employees to influence their day-to-day decisions, which ultimately led to the dismissal of several employees who were great at their jobs, and were capable of carrying a lot of weight.

Your executive title shouldn't be just a title. There are certain responsibilities assigned to that title that you should respect, revere, and uphold. Open your eyes and see what's really going on around you. You are not above the fray.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very unprofessional: Don't even bother giving them 2 weeks notice as they might not respect it

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

A variety of free fruit available every day, some skilled coworkers who are a pleasure to work with.

They are very lucky that they got the large government health care website contract. That is saving both the WebMD website and the health services division.

Cons

I gave two weeks notice to this company and was informed on the day that I gave notice, that it would be my last day. That's entirely unprofessional. I had worked hard to ensure that all my work was complete before giving notice (even working until 1:00 A.M. the night before) and we were at the end of our release cycle so the manager just said he wouldn't need me for the next two weeks. Sure they might not absolutely need me, but that's breaking an unspoken social contract, and both the manager and I know that I could make myself useful during that time period. Giving notice is a courtesy that allows the employees to transfer knowledge and finish what they are working on when necessary, to the benefit of their employers. If the employer just decides to let the employee go early on a whim, then what is the possible benefit for the employee to give notice? I could have just not given notice and quit the day before my new job started, but unlike the engineering manager at WebMD, I conducted myself in a professional manner. Now I am left without a paycheck for the next couple of weeks (over Christmas), 3 paid holidays that I would have enjoyed over that period are history, and I quite likely will have to pay the full cost for insurance for my family for a month as typically insurance on a new job doesn't start until the end of the first month, while insurance from the previous job ends at the end of the final month. Thanks for penalizing me thousands of dollars because I had the courtesy to give you notice!

In addition there is no criteria to become a software architect, or data architect, or security architect at WebMD other than that you have worked there a long time. A couple of the architects were knowledgeable, but more often than not they are just longtime employees who are fully versed in the WebMD system with little software architecture and engineering knowledge. I had to chuckle at what supposed "experts" were saying in meetings.

Respect 2 weeks notice! You probably wouldn't like it if someone just quit with no notice, so don't just send employees packing who offer you the courtesy of notice.

Also, they should tackle some big rocks sometime instead of just piddling little incremental features. They get everything done, but at an extremely slow pace.

Employees are the least of their concerns

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay. Many smart and nice colleagues.

Cons

Where to begin? Bad working conditions, no regard for or interest in advancing employees, a zillion unworkable databases and busy work, not what it claims to be. Constant turnover and shifting priorities.

Get off email for two minutes and look at your employees. Are they overworked and under an unreasonable amount of pressure? What can you do to make them stay? Have you noticed people are leaving in droves?

Exciting mission, Shiny Coin Syndrome

Former Employee - Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

The vast majority of employees are interesting people with healthy lifestyles and positive attitudes. There are neat benefits of a slick office-space and the promotion of a healthy live-work balance. There are health benefits, 401k and tuition reimbursements, and cell phones for all employees that are paid by the company. Technology on your desk is par for a tech company.

Cons

Shiny Coin Syndrome - the mission for one quarter is promptly abandoned or minimized the next. But don't worry, a new task force is around the corner. Not unlike many companies. Sales and EBITDA drive decision-making (not atypical nor incorrect) but the same cycles occur annually. 4th quarter budget cuts and seasonal heavy overtime loads. Email-heavy culture. Technology behind the product is slow to develop/behind, so consider if the service/product is your focus or the mission. Internal systems are old or poorly utilized. One of the slowest moving companies in some ways, while split-second decisions are made at other times. Sometimes feels out of sync.

Recruiting process is irregular, layoffs on Monday mornings are brutal for everyone involved. Lots (and lots) of meetings without action items, agendas or purpose other than CYA/keep everyone in the loop because internal systems do not facilitate information sharing. Utilize modern collaboration tools to improve office-based and remote-employee information sharing.

Amazing Experience.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Atmosphere is great. I've never seen so much talent among such a great group of individuals. It really was a pleasure to work here.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about the company.

Its AGILE to the core, good people but hard to get a new change in

Current Employee - Test Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The company atmosphere and people were amazing to work with
    Very laid back and relax environment
    Ability to work flexibly throughout the day

Cons

I find that introducing a new way to improve the existing process was something that didn't go too well with them. Takes persistence, but they could just not want the change during that time.

To retain more talent, hire more full-time employees than contractors, I saw too many people leave in the short time that I worked there

I Really Did Not Matter Here

Former Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rather generous bonuses, fruit and milk in the break room, somewhat liberal work from home policy.

Cons

After managing several high-profile programs and adding millions to our revenue there was no where to go in this organization.

Be more inclusive! the "in crowd" is not necessarily the right ones to lead.

A joy to go to work every day

Current Employee - Professional Promotion  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional Promotion in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Highly recognizable brand, casual work culture, hard working colleagues, sense of teamwork and purpose, great colleagues; unlimited coffee, tea, bottled water, subway right under building.

Cons

I can't think of any downsides at the moment.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!