WebMD Health Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014

2.7

David J. Schlanger

Pros
  • Some work-life balance, but the company attracts workaholics so this isn't a focus (in 11 reviews)

• Liberal with work from home days (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there (in 5 reviews)

• They fired the one senior management person who wanted to focus on the end-user (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great contributors, poor leadership

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance most of the time, somewhat flexible schedule with some WFH, skilled contributors, everybody in Atlanta office is very nice. Projects are enjoyable when NYC is not involved. Still a good brand somehow.

Cons

Technical stack is a joke and no one seems interested in taking meaningful action to improve it

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Execs are detached from day-to-day and swoop in at the end of projects to add input of questionable value. NYC PMO and engineering culture constantly throws their own people under the bus.

Atlanta is a satellite office and is frequently shut out of decision making

Restore autonomy Atlanta engineering and project management had a few years ago, reporting to NYC isn't working. Or move those groups to NYC.

Executives need to trust their people and get out of their way.

Burn down the technical stack and start fresh.

Lack of growth

I worked at WebMD Health

Pros

Coworker relationships and work life balance

Cons

Very little upward mobility for high performers

Restructuring. Tough work environment.

Former Employee - Client Services  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location in Portland is great. Many smart, dedicated people. Decent initial salary if you negotiate effectively up front. The content matter is genuinely interesting

Cons

Business plan and goals appear to be based on stock price rather than what is best for clients and employees.
    Upper management is moving chess pieces (employees) to keep stock price in order without a vision to manage the changes thrust into place. Now that middle management in PDX has been eliminated, it will be interesting to see how services and implementations run.
    Some of the systems that support the health platform are really antiquated. Dangerous for a technology solution set.

Share your short term and long term vision when full scale changes / cuts happen. Turn the mirrors on yourselves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lost its soul and it's vision.

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Many smart people who really care about the company and its success. Fairly flexible work schedule but varies greatly from team to team.

Cons

No longer cares about the people who work there. No career paths and dictates job changes to employees without thought to a match in skill set or people's desired growth. No longer cares about the brand. No one setting a company vision.

Stop just chasing the dollars and listen to the people who actually do the work and talk to clients. As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others. —Bill Gates

Very unprofessional: Don't even bother giving them 2 weeks notice as they might not respect it

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

A variety of free fruit available every day, some skilled coworkers who are a pleasure to work with.

They are very lucky that they got the large government health care website contract. That is saving both the WebMD website and the health services division.

Cons

I gave two weeks notice to this company and was informed on the day that I gave notice, that it would be my last day. That's entirely unprofessional. I had worked hard to ensure that all my work was complete before giving notice (even working until 1:00 A.M. the night before) and we were at the end of our release cycle so the manager just said he wouldn't need me for the next two weeks. Sure they might not absolutely need me, but that's breaking an unspoken social contract, and both the manager and I know that I could make myself useful during that time period. Giving notice is a courtesy that allows the employees to transfer knowledge and finish what they are working on when necessary, to the benefit of their employers. If the employer just decides to let the employee go early on a whim, then what is the possible benefit for the employee to give notice? I could have just not given notice and quit the day before my new job started, but unlike the engineering manager at WebMD, I conducted myself in a professional manner. Now I am left without a paycheck for the next couple of weeks (over Christmas), 3 paid holidays that I would have enjoyed over that period are history, and I quite likely will have to pay the full cost for insurance for my family for a month as typically insurance on a new job doesn't start until the end of the first month, while insurance from the previous job ends at the end of the final month. Thanks for penalizing me thousands of dollars because I had the courtesy to give you notice!

In addition there is no criteria to become a software architect, or data architect, or security architect at WebMD other than that you have worked there a long time. A couple of the architects were knowledgeable, but more often than not they are just longtime employees who are fully versed in the WebMD system with little software architecture and engineering knowledge. I had to chuckle at what supposed "experts" were saying in meetings.

Respect 2 weeks notice! You probably wouldn't like it if someone just quit with no notice, so don't just send employees packing who offer you the courtesy of notice.

Also, they should tackle some big rocks sometime instead of just piddling little incremental features. They get everything done, but at an extremely slow pace.

Employees are the least of their concerns

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay. Many smart and nice colleagues.

Cons

Where to begin? Bad working conditions, no regard for or interest in advancing employees, a zillion unworkable databases and busy work, not what it claims to be. Constant turnover and shifting priorities.

Get off email for two minutes and look at your employees. Are they overworked and under an unreasonable amount of pressure? What can you do to make them stay? Have you noticed people are leaving in droves?

I Really Did Not Matter Here

Former Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rather generous bonuses, fruit and milk in the break room, somewhat liberal work from home policy.

Cons

After managing several high-profile programs and adding millions to our revenue there was no where to go in this organization.

Be more inclusive! the "in crowd" is not necessarily the right ones to lead.

Chance to branch out into on-line

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Since the company is relatively small it is easy to get involved in multiple projects and learn from all departments instead of being locked into one area as you would in a larger company.

Overall a laid back company

Cons

Very cliquish, especially in management, to the point where work will not be done unless you are a friend of theirs. If you are not considered a favorite you will either be so miserable that you look for another job faster than you wanted to or you are one of the first to be laid off in their "consolidation" sweeps.

Allow your employees to grow even if they are in management. Stop the cliques, business shouldn't be us vs them (especially between departments that need to work together).

Good people...cheap snacks, free water.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really some of the best people I've worked with- energetic crew, good at their jobs, engaged and high morale until the 6 month mark or so. Excellent and well-known brand, a lot of people care about making things better. I've worked for the company for a long time and made my decision in spring- stayed till end of summer. No ill will on either part which was a nice situation- a lot of people have a caring approach and see employees as 'people'. Despite the slightly whiney/entitled rumors, the company pays very well and is quite generous at the onset. Once you are in the company, it's just standard COL increases. Company paid out bonuses on our worst year and has doubled the match 4/5 of years I was there.

Cons

Extremely concerning turnover at the executive level. I believe 8 executives exited or 'given another position' over the last year and a half. For an employer of our size, that is very disturbing and carries down into the departments. Managers lead through emotions and not true management- furthermore they are unwilling to get better, preferring to crouch in perceived perfection and play political games instead of standing up and admitting there is something wrong. Or give money to useless consultants.

Though the people are great for the most part, as a result of hiring more junior employees and having them report to untrained managers, there is a HUGE culture of entitlement and arrogance that borders on true comedy- what's worse are the untrained managers accidentally foster this culture and enable it.

My only advice to management is more of an anecdote:

Instead of worrying about what a former employee,(who didn't report into your department, and who you didn't say a word to during their resignation) posted on Facebook (which you found out second-hand, and apparently bothered you so much that you asked current employees to reach out to said employee to remove the offending post) maybe you should worry about the financials, the lack of talent in mobile, and 2014 planning? Just a thought.

Ok if you loved Junior High

Current Employee - Professional  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Nice location, free coffee, water

Cons

Cliques and old friendships cripple newer staffers. Nothing is written down, no procedures, org charts, asking for information viewed as suspicious. So bad it's hard to take it seriously, but they are dead serious: you will feel bad about yourself and your work in no time. May be great place to work if you like competing to join the cool kids. Not for grown-up professionals.

Evaluate your managers, especially those who "grew up" at Medscape/WebMD. Perhaps they didn't actually grow up at all. Abolish all meetings and initiatives that involve consensus of a group larger than 4-5 individuals. Instead,encourage small, informal initiatives. Take what your employees are saying here to heart. What does WebMd have such a disgruntled work force?

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!