Webasto Roof Systems

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Erik Roeren

Hours were long but learned a lot in short period of time and enjoyed the teamwork.

Quality Manager (Former Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsI enjoyed the colleagues I worked with and they were very patient with you. They give you opportunity to grow in the company. The pay was okay if you didn't mind the long hours.

ConsCouldn't have much of a life outside the job because of shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementInform temporary employees of their progress and extend more training to encourage them to become permanent employee. Give more training to Team leader.

Great 10 years ago, and time to leave now.

Engneering (Current Employee) Rochester Hills, MI

ProsThey pay you and have average benefits, There really are no pros at the moment.

ConsManagement is clueless, doesn't listen to Americans, doesn't understand you can't do it like Germany. Making 10's of thousands of parts is not the same as making hundreds of thousands per year. We don't tell you things to be blown off as American idiots.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the German arrogance and listen to the people who are here. Before the new managment regime ---- you guys. The company ran well and had satisfied customers.

This used to be a great place to work until the German invasion...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester Hills, MI

ProsGreat people. Over the many years I've worked here, most of the people here are wonderful. Many of them are my close friends and it will be very hard to leave when I do.

ConsOver the last year & a half a new CEO from Webasto Headquarters in Germany has come in an completely flipped this company upside down. He has gotten rid of every American Vice President and hired mostly his German & British buddies to run the show, creating a "holier than thou" atmosphere like non of us have ever seen. It took months for certain VP's to even make an appearance into the production plant because it's quite obvious they think they are way too good for us lowly worker bees. We all used to be very happy working here. Many of us have recommended friends and family to work here. That has all changed in the last year or so and now everyone here wants out. We've gotten maybe 3 raises in 10 years, our 401K match has been cut, and the big dogs are spending money like crazy on perks for themselves and for those in the "elite" group. Think twice about working here. I promise you will regret it if you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're not stupid. We know what's going on around here & we see it every single day. You're high and mighty attitude sickens every single one of us and NONE OF YOU have ANY respect from any of us. We fake it because we have bills to pay, but we'd all like to tell the CEO and VP's where to go. You have turned this great company into a stressful, hateful place and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. You're not gods, you're human beings just like the rest of us and it's time you act like it. You all act like you're better than everyone else and let me tell you - your titles shouldn't dictate your character, but each of you have allowed them to. The almighty dollar sign has ruined your souls and you've made nothing but enemies since you've all arrived. Do us ALL a favor and go back to your home lands & give us our good company back.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greatly depends on the group you are in.

Engineer (Former Employee) Rochester Hills, MI

Pros-Leader in roof systems worldwide.
    -Large customer base (all major OEMs).
    -Lots of engineering investment in Germany

Cons-America engineering not as respected.
    -Groups that do well are typically punished in layoffs (they aren't having problems to they clearly have too many resources)
    -Factory is #1, followed by sales, then Mech. Engineering, then electrical Engineering.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the groups with integrity and that are successful and learn from them rather than punish them.

Webasto, they take your soul

Technical Trainer (Former Employee) Fenton, MI

ProsClose to home. The department I worked in was full of a bunch of good guys, I liked traveling with them. While in the office, overtime was non-existant

ConsUpper management had no idea what was really going on with us small people. Promises were made to compensate being on the road 80% of the time (was told 25%) and non were honored. The company made cutbacks (made us BUY our vacation days) while management got raises and luxury cars. We were lied to at nearly every company meeting and were told to lie to customers to hide huge price increases and mark-ups.
    They stopped letting us make our travel arrangements and starting doing it for us. After that, trips would start Sunday afternoon (as opposed to Monday morning) and end on the "red eye" flight back Saturday morning. So, leave the house Sunday afternoon and get back Saturday morning then leave again Sunday morning.
    OH I could go on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. You are just stepping on the worker bees to get our perks. If you let the trainers and order takers do the job you hired them to do you'd make more money. Oh, and learn some integrity.

Webasto Roof Engineer

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsHigh tech manufacturing processes allow for great experience working with automated equipment. Webasto is a large company, with manufacturing plants located worldwide, so there are opportunities to collaborate on projects with international colleagues, as well as opportunities for international travel. Management does a fairly good job of communicating with employees through daily "board meetings" with engineering & production personnel, and monthly meetings for all employees.

Webasto Roof Systems' product line is mostly made up automotive sunroofs, where it is the market leader. These products are typically optional items on a vehicle, they are high on the list of "wants" for most consumers, and there are only a few competitors, so Webasto's position in the market seems to be strong.

ConsAs is typical in the automotive industry, expect a high pressure, long hours type of environment

Advice to Senior ManagementThe "Webasto Way" may not always be the best way; solicit ideas from employees who have experience with companies other than Webasto.

Looking for a better place

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDiversified company with interesting products

Conslike all in the industry that supplies automitive products it is very succeptible in this economic climate

Advice to Senior ManagementMultinational company that has viable products but as with all companies is suffering in this downturn. The management style is reactive versus proactive I feel

Worked for Webasto Roof Systems? Contribute to the Community!