Weber Shandwick Reviews

Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

1. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very talented employees - smart, passionate about the work, and fun. The company offers a lot of opportunities to attend internal training and lunch and learns. The brands we work with are some of the biggest in the world. The office culture in Boston is great.

Cons

Budgets to attend external workshops and conferences are sometimes vague. Some people seem to have these opportunities and others are told we don't have the budget. More consistency is needed.

Weber Shandwick Response

Feb 10, 2015VP, Digital & Social Marketing

Glad to hear that you have enjoyed the internal training opportunities at Weber Shandwick. We work to continue to grow those offerings year over year and help everyone understand how to access ... More

2. Great people, Great Brands, Great Global Opportunities

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

The third agency I've worked for in my career and by far the best roster of talent I've come across. The client brands are wide ranging and among the most well known companies in the world, and the opportunities to work with global teams and engage with colleagues from other parts of the world has been a great experience.

Cons

As with any agency, you need to always be on. So work life balance takes discipline, but it's not unattainable.

Weber Shandwick Response

Feb 11, 2015VP, Digital & Social Marketing

Thanks for sharing your experience! We’re glad to hear that you feel Weber Shandwick is differentiated in the industry.

Growth Potential for only the lucky

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Weber Shandwick as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very few, I can't even depend on them to help me find another job after being laid off for reasons beyond my control.

Cons

Poor planning and outlook for employees.

I was hired as a consumer intern and placed on a handful of campaigns by upper management. I was not instructed on how to do my job correctly from the onset, simply only told, vocally, where I was going wrong and no advice as to how to recognize my own mistakes. As time went on, I learned, but this could have been much smoother and less frustrating for all, had I received even a few hours of training.

I found out a few months into my internship that the clients no longer required our office as part of their contracted work, and that my position for the client would be made redundant...however, rather than transitioning me, an employee with knowledge of the office and already in the company system, to another job and client who's services would still require a consumer intern, I was to be let go. I didn't ask to be placed on a finite campaign, and I assumed the company would look after an employee beyond the life of a single contract, especially as I look around at other interns who, by apparent luck of the draw, were placed on campaigns that lasted longer than the required intern period.

Long story short, because of poor planning by the management and reasons I can't control or asked for, I was laid off and have left all of the financial burden of my young family to my husband. When I asked for references or any help finding a new job, I was simply told to use part of my day to fill out applications.

I don't understand why the company policy is to lay off a hardworking employee rather than transition them to other work that needs to be done. Why spend more time and frustration training new employees when you simply set aside hard-working and deserving employees already in your database?

5. Lots of learning and growth opportunities…

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Weber was my first job out of school. The experience shaped who I am today. I don’t believe I would have the work ethic or attention to detail that I possess today if it hadn’t been for my time there. Managers set a good example and took the time to teach you how to do things right. The culture of teamwork is the strongest I’ve ever experienced.

Cons

Hours can be long and the need for perfection in everything you do can be overwhelming at times.

Fun company, but terrible management and pay!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- High profile clients make the work interesting and you'll learn a lot.
    - Fun work environment

Cons

- Absolutely terrible management
    - You will be overworked, underpaid and under appreciated
    - You'll feel like you're just another number and that you are dispensable
    - The company cares much more about making money than making their employees happy
    - I would under no circumstances recommend this company to a friend
    - You will get burnt out very fast at Weber

You should worry more about making your employees happy than about how much time you can get them to work and how hard you push them for such little pay. The employees at Weber get burnt out very fast!

7. Not bad, but not great.

Current Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Laid back environment
    - Flexible hours...they are not "clock watchers"
    - Free drinks in break room and easy spot to commute to

Cons

- Little team interaction. It feels like you are disconnected from the team and you just come in to drone away
    - Low pay
    - Boring environment that feels too corporate

Connect more with your employees. Listen to employee feedback...something that doesn't really happen.

There's no school like the old school

I worked at Weber Shandwick

Pros

The agency has a good reputation and a great client base globally. There were plenty of good and smart people around. I had the freedom to do some things I might not have in other situations.

Cons

The office in Boston was pretty political. Fitting in meant having a certain view of the world. Innovation and creativity were not really valued and could get you into trouble in some circumstances.

Look around more often and learn to appreciate that there are many ways to achieve agency and client goals and objectives.