Weber Shandwick Reviews

Reset
3.9
Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Pros
  • Quite flexible in work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Agency has great clients, with great activations (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 19 reviews)

• Long hours and it is sometimes hard to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

1. Great place to work

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Creativity, big thinkers, cutting-edge ideas, comraderie, fun office culture, top-notch clients

Cons

bigger/more corporate feel than some smaller agencies, somewhat segmented practices (though this is better better)

2. Performance and metrics obsessed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some form of free alcohol on Fridays Occasional product freebies from new clients Funky, chic offices In-house coffee bar

Cons

Very thin senior management - usually one or two Executive Vice Presidents running teams of 20+ people. Often seems senior management is playing away on their phones or desktop reading the news, on social media sites or out at client engagements. They sit in a glass perimeter around a football field sized floor of trading-floor style desks where "junior" employees (up to Vice Presidents) are forced to be surveilled 24-7 by senior management. No work/life balance. "Paid time office" aka VACATION is something to take rarely and brag when doing it as if it were an indulgence. Often junior members are denied work days they have accrued or are contractually theirs. They're forced to take vacations around senior members busy schedules leaving "junior staff" to very beginning or tail-end of the year vacation days. Very little client interaction. Senior management keeps chinese walls around prized possession clients. Very little opportunity for junior members to be a part of new business pitches. They're just the work horses doing the data mining and grunt work. Obsessed with logging hours daily and must be 8 hours a day billable meaning NO LUNCH BREAKS. You basically have to account for the time you go to the bathroom as well.

Advice to Management

Stop obsessing over clocking hours and "recognizing revenue." If you are so obsessed with profit, let staff scout new business and bring it in themselves. Don't create such hierarchies between practices that they fight to win business from one another and sequester each other. Create clear mandates for staff on how much time they are supposed to be billable and not. The expectation is that we are supposed to be 80-90% billable yet when we work on accounts we get red flagged for going over budget or spending too many hours. If we don't log enough time we're told we're working too quickly. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS OR LET US RUN OUR OWN BOOKS OF BUSINESS.

Great place to begin your career, but don

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people, hard working teams, great reputation in the advertising industry. Perfect resume builder. Nice office with good coffee perks and they throw awesome holiday parties.

Cons

If you're a junior employee here, don't expect to move up fast unless you're male. I hate saying that, but it's very true. They don't negotiate on pay, and one senior manager once said to me verbatim "I promoted someone and got burned, so I'm going to halt promotions for while." How does that make logical sense? They will expect absolute loyalty and for you to 'volunteer' your time, but won't show you the same consideration. During review it has beens said that while you've done excellent, that's to be expected so you will only receive a 'good' performance review. If you want to receive the 'excellent' review, you will need to work a lot of overtime. As you can see the burn out rate is really high and there are periods of mass exodus.

Advice to Management

Be better at management, and don't use YOUR mistakes to justify why you're not promoting people.

director

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

we're building a deck. We have a coffee bar.. other than that i don't know why I stay.

Cons

too many emails about sap time entry and not enough about the wins and loses of the business. You don't know what other people do if there not on your team. Office is over crowded we don't even have seats for our interns.

Advice to Management

spend less money on sending rich people to nice events in Williamsburg and in France and invest in your mid level management.

6. The Digital team is way too male heavy

Current Employee - Director, Digital in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Digital in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weber leads the industry in female leadership in other ways. Most of practice heads are female and within the PR side of the business, especially on the consumer side, you are bound to see a lot more females than males. But I think that is standard of most PR agencies.

Cons

However, the agency has pivoted the last few years to pull digital strategy into everything they do, and yet there are no female leads. Every single office with a digital team is male led and every new hire they bring in, comes in at an SVP+ level, so any chance a woman had of moving up in the company in this practice gets squashed. There is also a pretty bad "bro" culture within the digital team, especially in New York. Women are often relegated to "client relationship lead" because they are viewed as being good at building client relationships vs. their digital acumen. Man of the female have found out they make way less than the guys for doing the same job (often with more responsibility) too, which is off-putting.

Advice to Management

Demonstrate to female digital leads they have a path in your company. Many of them are doing the work and keeping accounts, teams afloat without the recognition (or salary) given to their male counterparts.

Full time employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart colleagues, great environment/corporate culture, coffee bar, fun fridays, cool work and great clients

Cons

mediocre benefits and below average salary for junior levels, lack of communication between high level managers/execs and junior level employees

8. Surprisingly amazing!

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

People are smart AND nice. Great client roster. Passion for BIG and different (aka. truly Creative) ideas. Growing from an awesome PR firm to awesomer full-service agency. A leadership that ACTUALLY listens and is open to change; hiring (responsibly by being picky), improving processes...

Cons

Growth and change come with challenges. Some of the people who've been there forever feel a little uncomfortable. The place can't hire people fast enough to keep up with business. Wish it weren't in midtown, downtown is so much cooler (clearly, i'm searching for cons at this point.)

Advice to Management

Stay open-minded. Listen to the great people already working there when they say they are being underutilized or want to shift to another department, for example. Sometimes, it is better to have a department lose a good person than to have to the organization lose them.

9. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The amount of resources that the agency has is second-to-none; the people are super friendly and the culture is very good for mid-senior people. Like any agency, it can work you hard but the teams celebrate and party together as well. Work-life balance is what you make of it - as long as your work is done, you aren't required to work long hours or weekends.

Cons

Benefits are standard - 401k, health, dental, etc - nothing creative. Training of junior/new employees can use some work. Very "standard agency" orientation.

10. Will work you very hard but loads of opportunity

Current Employee - Digital in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Young and hip environment. Great benefits

Cons

Don't wear out the newbies to the point they leave

Advice to Management

Same

Worst Company to Work For

Former Employee - Assistant Digital Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Digital Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Absolutely nothing as a pro

Cons

Completely unorganized and no room for growth

Advice to Management

Get some

RSS Feed </> Embed