Weber Shandwick Reviews

Reset
3.6
Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Pros
  • Quite flexible in work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Agency has great clients, with great activations (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 19 reviews)

• Long hours and it is sometimes hard to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

innovative, creative and awesome

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People - Crazy smart PR and communications professionals that are personable, fun, creative, down-to-earth and GSD. The Culture - Feels like a spunky small company on the growth curve, but with big company established values and a well known reputation. The Opportunities - The chance to work with high profile Fortune 500 brands and up-and-coming companies is invigorating and educational.

Cons

For such a large and established agency that tracks billable hours, it is surprising that the internal technology is so poor.

Advice to Management

Maintain the positive momentum and energy to empower and engage the entire office, especially junior staff.

2. Great place

Current Employee - Maryland in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Maryland in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with many young and creative people who are striving to be the best in the industry. I have been given room to grow and spread my wings.

Cons

I work in a very high stress environment, but I do appreciate it. It's taught me to balance time.

3. More than just a job -- a career!

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Solid spirit of collaboration Good and challenging clients Respectful workplace

Cons

Ability to move a big ship quickly

Advice to Management

Make junior teammates feel as valuable to us as they are!

5. Typical Large Agency

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Somewhat varied clients, large collaborative teams, opportunity to work on large projects, attempts made at a positive work / life balance. Attempts made at positive work culture and office transparency.

Cons

Low pay unless coming from somewhere else or raking in sales. Measly yearly raises unless getting promoted, which can take years. No dedicated sales team or proactive sales person on the staff. Account teams are too focused on asking "how high?" when the client says "jump!". Little thought is given to actually advising the client on a proper strategy or best approach. Most would rather take the large contract and do subpar work then take less and do better work. Lack of truly innovative digital work. Lack of truly innovative digital thinkers. In fact, senior management is often clueless to the changing digital landscape and how to best leverage it. Easy to get "trapped" on a client with no room or opportunity for growth. Lots of old school PR folks in senior positions who don't really know what they are doing, but are too entrenched to get the hook. Despite being a global agency, they make it difficult when pursuing opportunities to transfer to different offices or project teams. Lots of hurdles with little guidance or assistance. Can border on unprofessional at times. Going through a HEAVY brain drain over the last year plus.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing the junior staff and bringing in more outside talent. Encourage turnover in the senior ranks. Bring in more innovative thinkers and doers.

6. Internship

Pros

Amazing workplace, great people, wonderful manager always looking out for you to grow your career

Cons

Interview process took a while but i made sure to follow up.

7. Senior Client Relationship Manager

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The learning, the career opportunities, the support from upper management, the great colleagues. It's an agency who truly wants to do the best work for our clients. My manager cares about me as a person.

Cons

long hours, not enough summer days off!

Advice to Management

keep pushing the bar on innovation, and keep pushing us to collaborate and learn from each other

8. Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Weber Shandwick (More than a year)

Pros

Interdisciplinary company that values creative thinking from all levels; the client portfolio is second to none; and senior management is quite smart and forward thinking.

Cons

I guess this is a pro and a con, but you typically get to do something different every day. Sometimes this means just you aren't busy at all, and other times you have way too much. Comes with the agency territory I suppose. Roles tend to be siloed too, meaning if you are an AE, you really have to wait for SAE to take on those increased responsibilities -- as opposed to being an associate at a smaller firm, where there may be a greater fluctuation in responsibilities in a single role.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Maybe encourage more cross practice communication, and invest more in retaining young talent.

9. Don't join the Atlanta office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There are no pros to name, unfortunately

Cons

Poorly run office Over-worked team, with no concern for work life balance Low team morale, horrible culture Leadership is not forward-thinking Lack of respect and appreciation for staff Managers aren't committed to development of lower-level staff

Advice to Management

Need new leaders who are visionaries that can inspire employees and spark growth

Be prepared to work overtime without pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits Employer prioritizes employee satisfaction Freebies such as in-office happy hours, parties, massages, coffee, bagels etc.

Cons

Overworked entry level employees Arbitrary salaries for people with similar experience

11. Not the place to be if you value personal growth and development

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

The employees who work at the Coffee Bar and in Office Services are wonderful people. I have also heard different WS offices around the country structure management differently and, thus, are in a better place in terms of morale.

Cons

Where do I begin? If you're looking for a place with a completely stagnant growth trajectory, where you simply have to check off boxes day after day to succeed, look no further. The majority of management is still around because of tenure and they bring absolutely nothing to the table except for criticism and recycled ideas that have been in place for over a decade. Most of the plans we presented to clients are different versions of the same plan and I found that no one on any of my teams actually believed in the value they delivered to clients (hint - because there is none). If you enter the team in an entry level position, have fun running out to get people's lunches, booking their travel and handling their expenses - because management feels as though these personal tasks are beneath them. You will work abnormally long hours for no pay (they got rid of overtime, by the way) and then get attacked for your mistakes, with no direction on how to improve. You will be expected to "show urgency and enthusiasm" for essentially being a glorified assistant. Your job will require no critical thinking or creativity and you will only be rewarded for completing the simplest of tasks. This hierarchical system may have worked for Weber in the past, but media is a changing landscape - it might be time to change some of these outdated methods as well.

Advice to Management

Get trained in how to manage others! Being a manager is more than handing off tasks to your "inferiors" and it is more than constantly delivering criticism. It is about fostering their development and helping them become the best employee that they can be. You should be attending managerial conferences and retreats annually - if nothing more, this will let your employees know that you are at least attempting to improve your skills.

RSS Feed </> Embed