Weber Shandwick Reviews

Reset
3.6
Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Pros
  • Quite flexible in work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Agency has great clients, with great activations (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 19 reviews)

• Long hours and it is sometimes hard to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

innovative, creative and awesome

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People - Crazy smart PR and communications professionals that are personable, fun, creative, down-to-earth and GSD. The Culture - Feels like a spunky small company on the growth curve, but with big company established values and a well known reputation. The Opportunities - The chance to work with high profile Fortune 500 brands and up-and-coming companies is invigorating and educational.

Cons

For such a large and established agency that tracks billable hours, it is surprising that the internal technology is so poor.

Advice to Management

Maintain the positive momentum and energy to empower and engage the entire office, especially junior staff.

2. Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Weber Shandwick (More than a year)

Pros

Interdisciplinary company that values creative thinking from all levels; the client portfolio is second to none; and senior management is quite smart and forward thinking.

Cons

I guess this is a pro and a con, but you typically get to do something different every day. Sometimes this means just you aren't busy at all, and other times you have way too much. Comes with the agency territory I suppose. Roles tend to be siloed too, meaning if you are an AE, you really have to wait for SAE to take on those increased responsibilities -- as opposed to being an associate at a smaller firm, where there may be a greater fluctuation in responsibilities in a single role.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Maybe encourage more cross practice communication, and invest more in retaining young talent.

3. Be prepared to work overtime without pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits Employer prioritizes employee satisfaction Freebies such as in-office happy hours, parties, massages, coffee, bagels etc.

Cons

Overworked entry level employees Arbitrary salaries for people with similar experience

5. thumbs up

Current Employee - Public Relations Intern
    Current Employee - Public Relations Intern

I have been working at Weber Shandwick (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun company, with big name clients, with real work that makes a difference

Cons

not a ton of work life balance - hard to take a day off

6. Assistant Account Executive

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Fun and great culture, caring coworkers

Cons

Stressful, a lot of work

Advice to Management

N/A

7. Performance and metrics obsessed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some form of free alcohol on Fridays Occasional product freebies from new clients Funky, chic offices In-house coffee bar

Cons

Very thin senior management - usually one or two Executive Vice Presidents running teams of 20+ people. Often seems senior management is playing away on their phones or desktop reading the news, on social media sites or out at client engagements. They sit in a glass perimeter around a football field sized floor of trading-floor style desks where "junior" employees (up to Vice Presidents) are forced to be surveilled 24-7 by senior management. No work/life balance. "Paid time office" aka VACATION is something to take rarely and brag when doing it as if it were an indulgence. Often junior members are denied work days they have accrued or are contractually theirs. They're forced to take vacations around senior members busy schedules leaving "junior staff" to very beginning or tail-end of the year vacation days. Very little client interaction. Senior management keeps chinese walls around prized possession clients. Very little opportunity for junior members to be a part of new business pitches. They're just the work horses doing the data mining and grunt work. Obsessed with logging hours daily and must be 8 hours a day billable meaning NO LUNCH BREAKS. You basically have to account for the time you go to the bathroom as well.

Advice to Management

Stop obsessing over clocking hours and "recognizing revenue." If you are so obsessed with profit, let staff scout new business and bring it in themselves. Don't create such hierarchies between practices that they fight to win business from one another and sequester each other. Create clear mandates for staff on how much time they are supposed to be billable and not. The expectation is that we are supposed to be 80-90% billable yet when we work on accounts we get red flagged for going over budget or spending too many hours. If we don't log enough time we're told we're working too quickly. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS OR LET US RUN OUR OWN BOOKS OF BUSINESS.

Assistant Account Executive

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

fun smart people to work with, learning opps

Cons

low pay for work and hours

Advice to Management

invest in young talent

9. Good working environment

I worked at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth, good work life balance. Lots of support from international network and coworkers. A wealth of information is available to people who would like to learn.

Cons

Management was not always completely competent, and seemed to be in their position not because of merit but because of their seniority.

10. Account Supervisor

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Culture clients challenge and opportunities

Cons

Pay demand burn out structure of accounts

Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live here...

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In its space, Weber Shandwick is respected and well-known. It attracts smart communicators and interesting people from all industries and we work with some of the world's most recognized and respected brands.

Cons

The company is a different experience for every employee, depending on practice group, manager, and office. While it is few and far between, there are several employees who work 9 am to 6 pm (i.e. the job for which we're paid--and not handsomely I might add) and get promoted on a regular cycle. Many more however feel mistreated and drained, under paid, mismanaged, and marginalized. If you don't work for the right manager, your life can be hell. If the head of your practice doesn't advocate for raises and promotions and recognition, you're out of luck. Some do. Many don't care about you so long as you do their jobs.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the 360 reviews for EVPs because many of them are downright abusive and no one cares o stop them, provided they keep billing hours (quite a lot of which are fraudulent).

RSS Feed </> Embed