Weber Shandwick

Updated February 24, 2015
3.9

Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Pros
  • Collaborative office; phenomenal resources; good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great opportunities to work with great clients (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance can be a little crazy at times, but you'll experience that at an agency (in 19 reviews)

• The work/life balance tends to shift to the work side of the scale, so be prepared for long hours (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Lousy environment

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Company does good work for clients.

Cons

People at the top are insincere and don't really care about you despite their lip service.

You are self centered and self serving.

Worst Company to Work For

Former Employee - Assistant Digital Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Digital Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Absolutely nothing as a pro

Cons

Completely unorganized and no room for growth

Get some

Growth Potential for only the lucky

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Weber Shandwick as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very few, I can't even depend on them to help me find another job after being laid off for reasons beyond my control.

Cons

Poor planning and outlook for employees.

I was hired as a consumer intern and placed on a handful of campaigns by upper management. I was not instructed on how to do my job correctly from the onset, simply only told, vocally, where I was going wrong and no advice as to how to recognize my own mistakes. As time went on, I learned, but this could have been much smoother and less frustrating for all, had I received even a few hours of training.

I found out a few months into my internship that the clients no longer required our office as part of their contracted work, and that my position for the client would be made redundant...however, rather than transitioning me, an employee with knowledge of the office and already in the company system, to another job and client who's services would still require a consumer intern, I was to be let go. I didn't ask to be placed on a finite campaign, and I assumed the company would look after an employee beyond the life of a single contract, especially as I look around at other interns who, by apparent luck of the draw, were placed on campaigns that lasted longer than the required intern period.

Long story short, because of poor planning by the management and reasons I can't control or asked for, I was laid off and have left all of the financial burden of my young family to my husband. When I asked for references or any help finding a new job, I was simply told to use part of my day to fill out applications.

I don't understand why the company policy is to lay off a hardworking employee rather than transition them to other work that needs to be done. Why spend more time and frustration training new employees when you simply set aside hard-working and deserving employees already in your database?

Poor Senior Management

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Clients/brands you have the opportunity to work on

Cons

-Poor senior management (senior management is very inexperienced)
    -So many office politics (they reward/promote those who schmooze vs. recognizing hard work)
    -High employee turnover
    -Constant account changes (switching employees to different accounts to try to make up for the turnover)

Leave the gossip and politics at home. Invest in management training.

The Worst Company I ever Worked For

Former Employee - Senior Management in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Management in New Delhi (India)

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great Colleagues and meeting clever people
    -Working on with multiple clients across industries

Cons

-Bad treatment and lack of appreciation from senior management
    -Extremely hierarchic in its implementation
    -New ideas are not encouraged if they do not fit in with the idea the senior management has in mind
    -Terrible paymaster with breach of contracts
    -Lying to clients in our capacities
    -Senior management refuses to accept the advent of the digital era despite being a PR firm
    -Extremely poor retainership of talent

-Fire the top management and let the employee talent flourish
    -Restructure its organizational set-up

China Office Doesn't Live Up to Global Reputation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tongzhou, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tongzhou, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It has a good global reputation that strengthens your résumé/CV (but only if you're searching for a job outside of China).

Cons

As with many PR agencies in China, the Beijing office is a sweatshop and offers little opportunities for career and personal growth, particularly for junior employees. Senior staff also seem to have little interest in the growth of junior staff, leaving this instead to the middle managers.

Rampant bootlicking has resulted in favorites being promoted quicker regardless of their capabilities.

Employees that leave the company are often not replaced, resulting in existing staff working long and often unreasonable hours. This leads to a vicious cycle that eventually sees them leaving for the competition as well.

The inability to find relevant talents means that a number of employees (many of whom have no China experience and don't speak the language) are brought in from other offices to do a job they are not
    well-equipped to carry out.

There is a general lack of professionalism and business ethics practiced in this office. Clients only find out about the departure of their account leads and team members long after they have left the
    company, many smaller accounts are serviced only by junior staff with little senior presence, former employees receive wages several months late etc.

Having worked in the PR industry for a decade and encountering senior management from various practices, I have to say the quality of senior managers here is mediocre at best. A lack of strong leadership skills, strategic direction and adequate market knowledge/ experience seem to be the main issues with a number of the senior managers I have worked with.

I spent a couple of years in an in-house role and have been trained to look out for red flags when it comes to hiring a PR agency, i.e high turnover, absent senior management on smaller accounts etc. The Beijing office is exhibiting a number of these warning signs, which unfortunately, is testament to how it is performing in the market and/or is how the local industry views the agency.

My advice for those looking to join Weber Shandwick's China offices is to research the agency thoroughly and ask around the local PR industry for insights into the company before signing on the dotted line.

In a fickle industry like Public Relations, acquiring and retaining talents is instrumental to the growth of an agency. Taking genuine interest in the advancement of your employees and treating them with respect will help you retain the best talents, which in a fast-growing market like China is increasingly difficult to come by.

assistant account executive

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (less than a year)

Pros

really enjoyed colleagues. Personalities and interests are similar throughout the office

Cons

terrible salary. Programs were usually extensions of American clients. Not very active in new business at the time

build credibility for better clients and bigger budgets

What A Mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Some loyal and honest middle managers who eagerly want to see you grow
    - Global brand is well-known and a plus for your resume
    - Big client names giving you opportunities for bigger projects

Cons

- Probably the least competitive salary in the industry
    - Senior managers seem to be clueless/ not there
    - Poor accountability structure
    - Some clearly unethical business practices
    - The most un-transparent pay structure ever seen
    - HR does not work objectively; you need to be a favorite in order to get a fair look into your performance and pay
    - Absolutely no mentorship program in place; you'll be lucky to have the few managers who actually know what their doing and want to spend the time to train you as a professional
    - Because of poor accountability, work is usually done by the responsible ones.

Where to start...
    - Start to look internally for talent instead of seeking seemingly experienced 'foreign talent'
    - Learn to grow your junior staff so that you can grow a sense of loyalty
    - Start fairly compensating and recognizing the diligent
    - Take accountability more seriously
    In general, take more time to identify and nurture your staff instead of resting on your lorels. This way, you won't have to spend time trying to keep clients because it will naturally come with the great work and morale within the teams.

A very unfriendly and unprofessional organization to work with

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Have some of the best resources in the industry.
    Have quite a few decent clients from varied industries.

Cons

unprofessional top level management, over promise and under deliver, in human working conditions, no employee benefits.

Ask the CEO, President and VP to quit before this MNC goes to the dogs 'completely'. Assess the damage done already and do something about it.

Weber Shandwick; typical agency bureaucracy, border-line inhumane treatment of junior staff

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, overtime compensation for entry level working overtime (12-14 hr days on average). I adored my other junior level colleagues we really banded together while being "hazed." I'm usually a super outgoing, positive, hard working and reliable person, but the demands of this role made me completely overwhelmed, physically ill and exhausted 24/7. I went on to a smaller fashion-based showroom and its a 100% more positive.

Cons

My group and client and managers were known well within the department as being the most difficult and unreasonable. I had terrible middle managers; no guidance, no positive feedback; worked myself ino the ground and burnt out. 2-3 of my former junior colleagues which I adored went to competitors for better work/life balance and compensation. Executive management realized treatment and hierarchy structure was not working and morale was terrible around the time everyone was leaving and enforced in memorandum that junior level employees had to be treated basically like humans (shocker!) ie: nonexcessive overtime, positive communication and delegation, allowing junior level people out for lunch at least once a week (?! is this a work camp/salt mine?) The new president quit after 4 months to go to a competitor (sinking like the Titanic, much?)

Fire middle management and get positive people in there who don't just look good for clients but mentor and grow junior staff as well.