WebiMax

Updated Jul 10, 2014

WebiMax Founder & CEO Kenneth C. Wisnefski

Kenneth C. Wisnefski

A good start

ProsI credit this company as a good starting off point. You learn a lot in a fast-paced world of SEO. Great people work here.

ConsIt appears this company had too much success too quickly, which created quite rebound/shrinkage period. Cut back in benefits, pay, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your talent. Else they're always going to find something better.

Mar 11, 2014

Dear current WebiMax employee,

Marketing, especially SEO, is definitely fast-paced, so we’re happy to hear that you are taking advantage of the agency lifestyle. We pride ourselves on having
    ... More

Okay work environment, poor pay, awful service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

ProsAs the first real full time job I had, it was a pretty good starting point. It was decently low pressure, PTO was easy to get approved, and my co-workers were all young like me, so the environment was pretty great. There appeared to be a lot of room for advancement (see below). There were also a lot of breaks, which was very helpful whenever I would be working on a particularly difficult project and need a cigarette.

ConsWhile it appeared to be a lot of room for advancement, it was a facade. I wasn't being paid too well, and it seemed as though there was something blocking me from getting a promotion. All I could see in my way was a manager's attention toward some of the more attractive employees. I'm not saying anything inappropriate was occurring, but there did seem to be a large favoritism that was based on how much attention key players received rather than the work being performed. I also didn't appreciate being asked to give a review online of my experience working there that was "honest but makes us look good." While I totally understand that there were a lot of disgruntled former employees that had been fired flaming the company, much like any other company, I felt deeply uncomfortable with being asked to do that. I later went on to work at a different SEO company. I was given more reasonable duties, better pay and felt my work was recognized, unlike at this company. I also don't like that I was often told to only do a certain amount of work for the clients based on what they paid the company rather than caring what results they received. If they continue to run their company in this manner, they will lose all of their clients. No company wants to pay for new to the scene inbound marketers with no SEO experience to figure out what doesn't work; they want to pay for the results the sales team promised them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Looking over shoulders to catch them doing something wrong stunts creativity. I would also treat your clients better. When they pay for links, don't stop after an hour because it's "what they paid for." Stop when they get the RESULTS they paid for. It may also help to find managers that work directly with lower employees that work well with others and are more knowledgeable in the field rather than worked at the company a certain amount of time. Also, please listen to employees when they complain, especially when several in a row complain about the same thing. It's not a conspiracy; it's a problem.

Feb 25, 2014

Dear former WebiMax employee,

Thank you for taking the time to review WebiMax on Glassdoor. We pride ourselves on having a fun and casual work environment. At the same time, we have very high
    ... More

Identify a niche and stick with it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress, friendly atmosphere, flexible hours.

ConsPoor leadership, no cohesive business plan, inmates run the asylum while management is largely absent.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome involved. Don't trust subordinates with little to no professional experience to lead and innovate. Identify something the company is good at and stick to it. Stop trying to do too many things.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work but underpaid

SEO Developer (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

ProsGreat atmosphere work place. I worked with very talented people and every day was different. Lots of clients and tasks to be completed. Paid vacations and lunch time. Very good people.

ConsLow salary. Expensive healthcare and no sick days.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the communication between departments.

Awesome place to work for a recent college grad...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

ProsEmployees are diverse, and the attitudes are super positive and friendly. Very casual, and not too stuck up. They train the less experienced, and give everyone a chance. They are open to teaching those who want to learn about the industry. This is where you begin to gain experience especially if you have never held a job. The owner of the company is a nice person, and doesn't put himself above the rest of the employees. The one place where you can speak directly to the owner.

ConsIf you have been in the workforce for a while, with experience, this is not where you want to be. You can expect to be compensated as an entry level employee regardless of your background. This more of a job and not a really much of a forever career. Promotions are not based on your performance, but on the need to fill positions, and favoritism; they will give a supervisor position to anyone, except to those who have experience and proven experience. Pay raises are often promised, but not delivered, and if you do get a raise, its not much. Many employees hold a second part-time job, because depending on the position you do not make enough for this to be your only job. Its disappointing considering the industry the company is in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation should be more competitive, and a solid pay scale needs to be established. A commission is not a bonus.

Horrible

SEO Project Manager (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

ProsYou make friends because you all go through the same thing together

ConsI don't know where to start.

-Horrible service
    -Horrible staff support
    -Horrible Management
    -Horrible Product Offering
    -Horrible Client Acquisition
    -Horrible Communication
    -Horrible Pay
    -Horrible Ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementKen, if you read this. Fire your management immendiately. The company suffers because of them not because of the 'incompetent employees' Stop hiring your friends and start recruiting personnel like Gurzo who can offer value to the company. During my time at the company I witnessed some pretty horrible decision-making. I gave it my all, but after seeing how people actually think it made me run for the hills. Escalation practices are horrible. 75% of my time was put toward escalation calls that were doomed to fail. Stop firing clients. That is money going out the window for no reason. Take control, you were the only one I thought that was competent at finding a viable way to run the company. Operations was a mess, sales was good but we hired the wrong type of clients. I know you take what you can get, but sometimes its best to let the doomed ones go. It will help bring in more retainable and sustainable clientele. Right now, this process is causing employees to leave, bad reviews and ultimately a sense of distrust among the company. I don't know how some people are still working for you (from a lower level status) but those people deserve better and deserve more responsibility. This is a message to you, not to the people who go on glassdoor. Be smart and cut your losses while you can. Find your valuies and align them with your clienteles needs.

Great workers, poor management, no pathway to advancement all leads to sky-high turnover

SEO Content Writer (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

ProsThe people who work for this company are loyal and they really care about making the company better.

ConsThese loyal employees are not supported by management. In fact, the management wanders around the office looking to catch people slipping up and micromanage their teams until all creativity is stamped out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people who care and pay them when they deserve it. And get a sales team that can sell without promising things the company can't deliver.

Feb 21, 2014

Dear former WebiMax employee,

Thanks for taking the time to review WebiMax on Glassdoor. We agree that our employees are loyal and care about making the company better. We’ve always said our
    ... More

Short-sighted company with no real vision. This is reflected in the way employees are treated.

SEO Project Manager (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

Pros-Ability to be a big fish in a small pond.
    -Good place to cut one's teeth professionally and gain work experience after college.
    -Relaxed atmosphere (most of the time)
    -Management very understanding and flexible regarding time off and working from home.

Cons-Upper management in general and CEO in particular suffer from extreme short-sightedness. New procedures and ways of doing things are often hastily introduced only to be scrapped a short time later. This makes for a hectic working environment and can complicate relations with clients.
    -Related to this: Company seems to prefer cheap, quick fixes to long-term and sustainable strategies.
    -No discernible pay scale exists. Salaries are arbitrary and frequently employees are paid far too little for their experience level and the work that they do.
    -Poor follow-up. Employees are often verbally offered exciting new career opportunities wtihin the company only to have them rescinded later or simply not followed up.
    -Random and inscrutable recruitment, hiring, and subsequent management process. Sometimes, very talented people are hired, and either taken advantage of or ignored. Quite often the company hires very amateurish people who have no business being in a professional environment.
    -Nepotism runs rampant at Webimax. Many employees are friends or relatives of the CEO and hired for that reason as opposed to any real qualifications.
    -Poor communication and a secretive environment.
    -CEO has an excessive fixation on his and the company's online reputation and media presence. There is more focus on the appearance of being a successful company than the reality of it. This filters down to even the lower rungs of the company.

Advice to Senior Management-Determine the business and services for which Webimax is best-suited and develop a long-term strategy around them.
    -Be more selective in the hiring process and pay and treat these employees well.
    -Spend less time promoting Webimax in the media and more time building and improving the company from within.

Always in a panic, rushing to get out reports because of lost work or crazy deadlines

Sales Support (Former Employee)

ProsReally cool info on PPC & SEO.

ConsSome many changes and everyone is always changing their jobs or titles. I had three bosses and none of them could do my job.....or bothered to learn it. They lost many clients and wrong information was always being sent out to clients or people they were trying to sign up. It's like walking around and every is angry, never know if the place is gonna close.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey would not listen or take advice. Ugh, they took my health benefits away too. Managers always in late and left early. New manager is always leaving early.

Disorganized and the Leadership is Null

Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

Proswhen I first started there, they were a smaller company and offered free coffee, some artistic freedom and paid for benefits with no contribution from the employee.

ConsBy the time of my departure, raises were cut out, we had to contribute half to our benefits (are salaries are a joke), no more free coffee, they were laying people off or firing them for trumped up reasons. They "re-organized teams 3 Times since last October with no real actual plan. Management has no idea of what they are doing, moral is down and they are still losing clients and bleeding money.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company off and go back to school to learn better business practices.

Worked for WebiMax? Contribute to the Community!