Webroot Software
www.webroot.com Broomfield, CO 150 to 499 Employees

Webroot Software Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014
Webroot Software – San Mateo – “Signage is everything, employees are nothing”

Webroot Software CEO Dick Williams

Dick Williams

Pros:
  • "Good salary & benefits and work/life balance, great co-workers & low-level managers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "There are some really great people, especially at the lower levels"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management keeps talking about how we have converted ourselves to a brand new start up company"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper management was often plucked from other companies and placed at the top"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nice atmosphere, nice people

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI never felt like anyone was breathing down my neck, had the freedom to explain my findings and push my project in the right direction, plus the whole office was treated to lunch loads of times.

ConsThey had been hiring like crazy, and that really ramped up after I left, so it might not be as everyone-knows-each-other as when I left, but that's not a big deal. Also it seemed like I had 3-4 bosses in one way or another, and I never had words for their roles, so that was sort of confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe make clearer how everything fits together

Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Broomfield, CO

ProsThere are some wonderful employees who work hard and have very pleasant personalities

ConsManagement, VP, and chief-level employees will tell people one thing and do another. I was told that I would have a full-time position after my contract repeatedly. I even met with management to confirm this was true when my attempts to meet with the hiring manager were absolutely futile.
    I was even given choices about which position and role I could fill. Then I was told that this was not possible two days after my contract expired. When the hiring manager asked if he could refer me and if I had been looking for other jobs, I was glad I was on the phone and not in-person with him.

Even within other aspects of the company, executives will tell teams about how valuable the employees and their products are just minutes before laying off people in droves and slashing project budgets into unworkable shreds. They will be kind and personable to your face, but very cutthroat and nasty as soon as they are in the same room with one another, or can hide behind a computer and email you. There is nothing considerate or forthright about these approaches, and it is detrimental to a company culture that has such potential to be great.

The employees are in a constant competition with one another to see who can arrive earliest and leave the latest, as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't mean it, don't say it.

Focus on improving what you have instead of destroying what you have built in order to attain that "next step."

Dysfunctional company

QA Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsPay was okay. Location of office in CO was good

ConsWhere to start.... Leadership at all levels (with VERY few exceptions) was clueless. Constantly changing direction and focus. Mass firings to make quarterly numbers "work". Young inexperienced yes-men promoted to positions they have no capacity to perform. Just a bizarre company.... lacking any real culture, nor any sense of loyalty to their workforce

Advice to Senior ManagementAssume most would be gone now. Get on the same page. Get some strong leadership, and unite together for the good of the company; not your individual self benefit

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best example of a company for going down...

Employee (Former Employee)

Pros* adequate work-life balance (since there hardly any work for most)
    * good technology, everything on the cloud
    * perks are ok
    * people co-located communicate well and help out each other

Cons* the worst management seen so far. the company saw its best days until the current CEO and Chief Strategy Officer were hired almost 4yrs back. From then on, it has been a down-slide all along. Looks like they are both out of touch with the industry out there.
    * the current management revamped the entire product set for consumer market only to get back to the same level as 4yrs back after spending a ton of money, with no ROI.
    * very poor execution with dev teams spread out all various countries and dont talk to each other. Lots of attitude issues with each site thinking their technology is the best
    * no roadmap for the products. most projects end up biting the dust. this the reason for the good work-life balance.
    * silicon valley is the heart of the technology industry and webroot was adequately placed right in the happening place, but once this new CEO came in, he pretty much got it to such a state that they are almost ready to close down the silicon valley unit.
    * there were very bright people in this company back then, but now there is hardly anyone left. constant lay-off's and down to earth morale has shattered this company.
    * almost everyone who left this company do not buy their shares as they see no value in it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no real advice that can be given to this CEO and Management. its better if they move on.

so so trending down

Prosat times it was really great and exiting. there are lot's of really good folk there

Conslack of strategy. strong desire to control.
    start working together as a company.
    update technical skill set of the management

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would greatly benefit the company if finally the management would start working together and set at least the basics straight. Please stop competing and fighting one another, it's not good for the company it's not good for you either in a long term maybe only in a short term. Otherwise there will be many more trends down like they are right now. It's time to turn it around. Many are waiting and hoping that you'll start working together. And many more lost hope and moved on. It's not just collection of upset employee reviews you are seeing here.
    To have manager title is one thing, be a leader and mentor is more than a title. Management need to do both and put actions behind good words and intentions. Otherwise that rating will not start going up. It is time to get in shape.

Good company, bad executives

ProsGood environment to work in, good balance for work and leisure. Great software

ConsExecutives don't know what their doing. Poor management, constant churn of employees. Poor decisions and no real plans for future. Constantly see groups forming to rise to the top rather than working together with the entire company to achieve a goal. Executives have no idea what employees are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have better direction from management and work together as a company. CEO needs to be more involved with company.

Ok work atmosphere.

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsGood health care and opportunity of advancement. Other perks that used to exist (I'm not sure if they still do) were bagels on Friday, free drinks.

ConsUpper management was often plucked from other companies and placed at the top...this strategy seemed to be hit or miss, and often times a miss.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better mix of moving internal employees to upper management and bringing folks from the outside.

Global Marketing Manager

Global Marketing Operations (Current Employee)
    Broomfield, CO

ProsI have had very professional experiences working with the entire family at Webroot. Everyone working towards better results.

ConsI have not run into any cons to speak of - best work environment I have ever experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Management seem to lost on direction

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsPeople are nice, smart and hardworking developers, with flexible working hours and work from home days where needed.

ConsCompany mgmt is just trying out various things and is not seeming

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together... can't keep fooling people all the time.

Great for the first few years

Software Manager (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsIt was challenging work and I learned a lot. The people I worked with in Mtn. View and Boulder were great to work with. I was given new challenges.

ConsThe constant political battle between Boulder versus Mtn. View was AWFUL. Boulder detested Mtn. View. It was impossible to get anything done. Also, a LOT of the Director level on up were very unprofessional (F-bombs at meetings contantly, embarrassing fellow employees. HR? Well this is the company where I learned how useless that department is,. When they brought in the old cronies to run the company, it was time to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know. The last person I talked with said it was so HORRIBLE. Plus I heard lay offs in order to make the executive staff bonuses.

Worked for Webroot Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Webroot Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Webroot Software CEO Dick Williams. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by Webroot Software employees.