Websense Reviews

Reset
3.1
Websense CEO John McCormack
John McCormack

Pros
  • There is a great workplace culture, and a great work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Some really great people working in the marketing department initially, but they all left in the course of the year of the half I worked there (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management needs to be changed (in 8 reviews)

• Executive management is out of touch with the lower ranks (in 6 reviews)

Inside sales engineer

I have been working at Websense

Pros

Easy hiring process, friendly staff

Cons

Hiring took 2 months when i was told it would take 2 weeks

2. great place to get experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Websense (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, 3 weeks vacation

Cons

no commission, hard to move into sales from this position

Things went downhill fast

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Websense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In TS the work was challenging and ever evolving. It definitely didn't get boring. Wide range of customers. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

After the company got bought by an investment company, TS went to hell due to unrealistic/undefined expectations and extremely poor upper management outside TS. The upper management in TS were great, they just had their hands cut off. I've heard things are changing again now that Raytheon bought the company, at least the senior management might understand TS now.

Advice to Management

Understand the complexity of your product and the needs of your customers. Hire managers that also understand this. My biggest complaint is that Sales and upper management really had no idea what we did in TS and how integral we were to the success of the product. This created all the unrealistic expectations and constant changes in policy that created a huge morale sink.

5. Great Sales Leadership

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Websense

Pros

As an a member oft he inside sales team, I'm very grateful to have excellent leadership that equips you for success and prepares you for not just the next role, but the one beyond that.

From a product and service standpoint, the Vista|Raytheon venture only reinforces the technology's place in market leadership for years to come. Departments that previously lacked in leadership and effective management have been overhauled and results are showing.

Cons

There are still some old vestigial processes in place that create internal red tape, but all in all, I absolutely love the company direction since Websense has gone private.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring leaders and continue looking to solve problems based on results and by empowering the team to buy-in, commit, and add to the intelligence base.

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Websense

Pros

Websense used to be a good place to work. Lots of talented and motivated people to work with.

Cons

Once Vista acquired Websense the direction changed. The new owner's focus is not a long term success of the company because are in the business of buying and selling companies. Now it's all about cutting costs and making the financials look good for unloading it to the next owner. This has resulted with an exodus of talent. Websense is no longer a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

Less corporate greed, please.

7. Sales Operations Intern

I have been working at Websense

Pros

High working efficiency. It has only passed three days since I received pre-assessment email. Everyone is friendly and easygoing.

Cons

I still do not find cons now

The dumpster fire that is websense

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Websense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-everyone is friendly for the most part
    -nice location
    -fast promotions-because so many people high up are quiting
    -given company laptop
    -recently bought by raytheon who is throwing money in a very miss managed poorly run company
    -when working the product is very good
    -you can do nothing all day and still get your job done in a hour

Cons

-Benefits are terrible. If you need to go to the doctor you better have some extra money around.
    -hours. When you go on vacation you are still pressured to log on once a day or you might lose your job.
    -Management is terrible. Nothing gets done around the company on time. Sales management regularly threatens with you about losing your job or you getting fired because you went to management for help to close a deal.
    -a lot of half effort and nothing can get fully completed. You have to see everything through on your own. Every single thing. If you think something will get done it wont. you will physically have to walk over to the person and make sure they do the task you are asking for help on.
    -Sales management is the worse. They regular give firing threats, degrading comments, and promote inferior people. The organization of sales is very very poor. If you think going to your manager for help is a good idea. Its not. You are expect to find the answers out on your own. When you do ask management for help they wont know the answer.
    -Marketing- let me ask you a question have you heard of Websense before? No because marketing is so terrible that most people don't even know what websense is or what websense does. Websense has not been doing strictly web filtering for 6 years now. Marketing has done a horrible job letting people know that and the new products.
    -Exc's give you the run around. They say how much better things will be after major decisions. Nothing changes or gets better. it usually gets worse.
    -Promotions in sales are a popular contest. If you think your hard work or numbers will get you moved up. Think again. management will only recommend the people they like by personality and mediocre numbers.
    -They dont care about people. iv have issues with getting my insurance for 6 months and its still not resolved.
    -NO communication. The field and inside are pretty much separate organization to the point the field has no idea what they are selling or how to even run salesforce.
    -Good luck finding that information you need. Its constant searching until you get lucky finding a document or information you need.
    -Flaming hopes non stop. So many things have been put in place that people cant get things done on time. If you thought the deal you were going to close a week before the end of the month would could on time its not going to. It could take a anywhere from a whole day to two weeks before it closes.
    -if you think a task is going to take you 30 minutes to a hour you should think 3x as long.
    -salesforce is so disorganized and is managed that no one will use it unless forced to.
    -Partners refuse to sell websense. even the closest partners hate selling websense.

Advice to Management

start caring about people and reward or encourage employees to stay. you fired your whole company and what was left is leaving even a year later. All the sr. management people that have not left are the worse ones. I give this company 5 to 10 years before just the tech is all raytheon wants.

9. The people make it great

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Websense full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with every day make this a great place to work. The company fosters that kind of attitude though. Granted, I don't work in the call center or sales, but on the engineering side of the house, everybody is wiling to help when they can, and they get their jobs done.

Cons

We could be a little bit better about sticking to the policies we have in place. Too often, we stray for them to make a customer happy, but that puts added stress on the teams and can throw off an entire project timeline

Advice to Management

Don't let the customers bully you into doing something that adversely changes longstanding project plans. Sometimes they just need to wait for the next release if the fix is already planned for it.

10. CSR

I have been working at Websense full-time

Pros

It is a good environment friendly and friendly people

Cons

I am an IT guy and I am in school but I could not find anything part time so I took this CSR position and do not like it the manager micro manages hard I answer calls and send the to the techs and that is it. It is not part time

Advice to Management

Please lighten up on the CSR's

Manager

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Websense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organization allowed Management to drive success

Cons

Headquarters was moved to Austin TX to reduce costs.

Advice to Management

Should have stayed in SD

RSS Feed </> Embed