Websense

Websense Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Websense CEO John McCormack

John McCormack

Pros
  • Great people below executive management with strong work ethic(in 11 reviews)

• Another benefit is the Work/Life balance(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the key decision makers or senior management have no business sense(in 8 reviews)

• People are afraid to share their opinions to executive management(in 6 reviews)

Good People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people including the executives are all very approachable and are on the whole reasonable. They have some good products and good engineers thinking about where the industry is heading.

ConsAfter the acquisition by a Private Equity company, many of the executives left. The company was delisted eliminating the ESPP and stock options.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some equity.

Websense

ProsHas a Great home work Balance

ConsBuilding back up the Training Process

Great growth opportunities

ProsGrowing rapidly, open communication, lots of company events and great pay.

ConsCannot think of any yet; I started in March.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic Changes afoot for San Diego and Austin Locations via Vista Partners restructuring

Staff Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNote: The Websense in San Diego I worked for is GONE in a cultural sense. Or will be in a few months. So this review is really a historical snapshot into what I did of a culture which is probably gone now.

Had very dedicated people. Probably the best in the security industry, Hard working and kind and compassionate to each other and to customers.

I Never had a review in a year and a half. That can be positive in a way.

The new Websense uses 9 box stacked ranking as that is what all Vista companies use. Websense also uses a timed 50 question aptitude test and if you can't prove your intelligence via this test, you may not make the cut to get hired.

Was pretty much a lab environment.

For me - prototype useful tools, systems and servers.
    Working hard at wide open throttle is fun. This was encouraged at Websense.

San Diego is a great place to live and you are close to the cool air of the beach.

Little creek in back of the Websense building in Sorrnto Valley is peaceful.
    The San Diego commuter train is fun to watch go by.

The parking lot is the only place to walk and talk but it works.
    The rank and file are very friendly to each other.

Sometimes there is clarity from the Executive Management team down to rank and file.

All in all I found Websense to be an Ethical Company in how they treated me, fair and just.
    Another.

You may get to travel to other Websense Divisions in China, Isreal, the UK and Los Gatos if you are lucky and like to travel.

You will learn a lot about Web Security, Wireshark, Pcap files and networking.

The Vista buyout made anyone with vested interests a lot happier as the vested interests became liquid.

Websense will be a great place to work in Austin. Lots of energy with all the new hires.

If you are looking to get your start in the Web security space, then you may not do better than Websense.

Personally, I would try to find a web security company which is pre-IPO so you can get equity and live happily ever after.

Websense is being rebuilt from the ground up. But while private there are no equity awards to the rank and file.

ConsTeams were silos in the beginning. Lots of late hours with off shore teams. Lots of communications issues.

Absolutely nill or zero on-boardingfor new employees. Meantime 12 years of code piled on code to learn in an instant. Don't know how to patch old code you have never seee? You'll hear about it from multiple managers and PM's right in your face.

Introduction of AGILE / SCRUM / JIRA. Better like that stuff. You don't have a choice. Smile. Drink the cough syrup. Goes well with Einstein Bagels on Friday.

CalTRANS Construction round the building for years. Hammering, paving. Cones. Building no cafeteria. Can't walk anywhere or be hit by cars. San Diego location was a building stuck in the valley between railroad and highway intersections. Walk near highway get hit by a car.
    Open cube environment. Personal call comes in? No place to hide.

Sometimes you don't know what will happen - until it happens. Zero warning.

Bonus structure not explained well to certain teams. Promised but not put to pen and paper and distributed.

Survival tied to what business value the team one is currently in is to the value of the San Diego location.

No value - laid off.
    Value - hold for a time until Austin transition is in place.
    High value - offer a move to Austin, TX. Hopefully there will be a decent place to eat at work in Austin.

Vista Technology Partners has a playbook. pages in the book turn and things happen - just like a movie script. Get used to it.

In Austin Websense will be a new lean and mean company. With Fireeye breathing down it's back.
    Competition is good.

With all the old expensive talent gone - Websense can hire new, faster better talent harnessed to AGILE / SCRUM.

Soon new talent will have the right Agile metrics to prove to potential suitors that Websense is a good buy.

Stay tuned to "flip that company" Texas style.

Websense is multinational so flipping it may not be that easy. But Vista has experience in this matter.

Multinational means that some secuirty code is produced out of the USA and that may give potential customer's like the US Government a shudder and make Federal sales a hard deal to swallow.

Off shore salary savings may not be worth it if Websense can't land secure US Goverment contracts on US Soil.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the rank and file equity.
    Have precise onboarding classes or training for new hires in engineering.
    Train mentors and assign them to new hires.

depressing

ProsWhen I joined it was an exciting, innovative place to work where accomplishments were recognized and teamwork came naturally. Everyone rowing in the same direction with a common goal: growth

ConsVista doesn't seem to respect experience. There is reference to the more experienced team as "graybeards" and the millennial point of view is rampant. "I want it all, I want it now and I have no respect for anyone else's opinion"

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up

A company in transition

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWith the dramatic cost cutting measures executed by Vista, Websense is running very lean compare to its former self. The company still have a large customer base, and remains profitable. It's taking on new strategies to better adapt the demand of internet security industry, which will grow in many folds as public becomes more focused, and aware of the importance of web security. The upward mobility for the employee should be increased as company explores new business opportunities.

ConsThe general morals has been low due to the mass transition of the work force. It depends on the team / environment, and the ability of the managers to provide an attractive working culture for the employee. The hope is that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but at the moment, it remains an uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest in the communication to employees. There has been a lot of "mishandling" of communication during the buyout and work force transition. The people who work in this industry are naturally intelligent. Shading you intention behind an "excuse" / "visage" will only serve to discredit management. Treat your talent as your competitors will, otherwise you know where they will go.

A Dying Train Wreck

ProsGood compensation and decent culture

ConsStagnant
    Company is being ripped apart and sold by private equity company

Advice to Senior Managementabandon all hope

Corporate America at its best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat place if you have experience and want to work 3X as much because all of your experienced coworkers jumped ship or were fired. Also a perfect place if you are fresh out of school, have lots of energy but don't really care about money too much. And better yet if you like taking IQ tests to keep your job like something out of 1940s IBM this is the place for you!

ConsIf you are over 25 and have more than 2 years experience in anything this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCats out of the bag Vista. You want to shut down the San Diego office but won't admit it. Even if you actually don't everyone in the San Diego office thinks you want them gone. Great for morale. Who is going to buy this PO$? In cutting costs you forced out the people who could make the software work and won't hire anyone with the experience to fill that gap. The code base is godawful and there is zero product or market strategy. You think a bunch of 22 year olds can handle that? And what about the fact that a good portion of the products are actually coded in China? You sell to majority Amer and WEur customers wanting protection from hacking and data theft...but it is coded in Beijing??? Hope you are at least shelling out bucks for an experienced PR team. As they say a sucker is born every minute. Even suckers with a billion dollars. Or so you hope.

Not the same Websense.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits & culture. HR did a good job trying to keep moral up.

ConsEverything changed with the Vista acquisition. Some very unethical directors, especially in marketing. Many have lost jobs. Everyone is out for themselves and paranoid. Unfortunate.

Technical Support Analyst

Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat Benefits, working environment, opportunities.

ConsAttrition rate was high due to not enough analysts on hand.

Worked for Websense? Contribute to the Community!