Websense Reviews

Reset
3.1
Websense CEO John McCormack
John McCormack

Pros
  • There is a great workplace culture, and a great work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Some really great people working in the marketing department initially, but they all left in the course of the year of the half I worked there (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management needs to be changed (in 8 reviews)

• Executive management is out of touch with the lower ranks (in 6 reviews)

1. Things are getting better

I have been working at Websense full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

3 weeks of vacation, 8 sick days a year. Bagels on Friday. Raytheon buy out seems to be helping as there are a lot of job openings now. Dental and vision are ok.

Cons

Health care with 4k deductible then insurance kicks in covering 80%. Total out of pocket is 8k. We are told this will be changing. Hopefully it will as there used to be only a 3k total out of pocket.

Advice to Management

Change the health insurance to attract top tallent. Many people have left or did not accept a job offer because of health insurance.

2. "New but growing Intern program"

Pros

Great company culture, lots of great people, and company is moving in a positive direction. It was their first year with a full-fledged intern program and I was really please with how everything went.

Cons

Not a lot of cons that I can find

3. Good company to work for

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist

Pros

Great company, smart people and good culture overall

Cons

Company should provide better benefits

Ok company to work for

Pros

Great coworkers, always had a good time with the people. My manager was really nice and would do anything to assist his employees.

Cons

The amount of work I had to do was way more than my salary covered. In addition, I worked an early morning shift and normally, it was swamped with calls that had been on hold for HOURS. Most clients were livid

QA Engineer

I worked at Websense full-time

Pros

Nice location, close to freeway

Cons

Management is terrible. Everyone is an asset.

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Websense full-time

Pros

Under Raytheon umbrella , that is their only hope.

Cons

The company has flat revenue growth from quite sometime. They created margin by offering terrible health insurance. Recently they are moving jobs from Beijing to USA which will affect bottom line. don't expect any bonus this year. Salary is below industry standards. Sold by 2 owners in last few years. Technology is outdated.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with dignity and respect.

Websense Lacks Tenured Sales Engineers

I worked at Websense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are in sales and do not need a sales engineer to help you, then Websense is the place for you. They are terrific at losing their top talent. The Leadership team accelerates at allowing Senior Engineers to exit the company at a furious rate. This is the company for you when you want to be the engineer, salesman and customer support specialist.

Cons

Headed up by J-Mac, the leadership team focuses on increasing their personal wealth at the expense of the Sales organization. This company has filled itself with "C" players that will hide under the Raytheon umbrella. There is no loyalty to the employees.

Advice to Management

Please cash out and move on. Allow someone that is hungry to succeed and take over the sales organization.

see payment

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense (More than 10 years)

Pros

free work environmrnt and good management

Cons

payment is below everage, i think

Advice to Management

Offer better payment

Inside sales engineer

Pros

Easy hiring process, friendly staff

Cons

Hiring took 2 months when i was told it would take 2 weeks

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Websense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice offices in a convenient Arboretum area location, lots of windows, covered garage parking, free coffee and bagels on Friday. - I have been here 8 months and I have yet to even hear a mention of company "values".

Cons

I joined Websense almost 8 months ago through what I later learned was their standard “HiPo” hiring model. This hiring model seeks out “High-Potential” (HiPo) candidates such as recent college graduates that have strong intellectual and technical potential but lack professional experience. In exchange for this professional experience they offer below market compensation and work you like a rented animal while permeating a "you should be grateful to be here" atmosphere. I overheard one of the Support Directors laughing off a recent employee’s decision to quit out of frustration as “this is Austin, back-filling is easy”. I am planning to stay a few more months so that I have a solid year on my resume and then I will leave as well. I am new to the workforce, but it seems like the percentage of disgruntled people at Websense is extremely high. Other advice: - Be mindful of what job grade you enter the company with as there are virtually no options to grow your career once you are on board. Whatever job you are hired into is the same one you will inevitably quit from X years later. Moving between business teams is virtually unheard of. - Terrible insurance benefits. Hopefully that will change now that we have been bought by Raytheon, but the current plans have insanely high deductibles and poor coverage.

Advice to Management

Stabilize the products. It should not be so painful to perform a simple product upgrade for a customer.

RSS Feed </> Embed