Websense

Updated November 26, 2014
2.9

Websense CEO John McCormack
John McCormack

Pros
  • There is a great workplace culture, and a great work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great people, good product, every one working to the same objective (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the key decision makers or senior management have no business sense (in 8 reviews)

• People are afraid to share their opinions to executive management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment!

I have been working at Websense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy coming into work everyday and watching the Austin team grow. A new culture is being established and most people are friendly and approachable.

Cons

Once the dust settles and everything is streamlined again, I think it will be an even better place.

Company-wide survey was a great idea, looking forward to see the results from it!

Websense is a fun and challenging environment

I have been working at Websense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth in one's career is offered around every corner. If there is something that is of interest to you, all one needs to do is ask about it and show some initiative to learn said topic.
    The people here are very nice and working towards the goal of success.
    Coming from a giant company, the environment is refreshing in that everyone is approachable and willing to listen.

Cons

Due to relocation, communication lines have to be reinvented. This can cause delays on urgent matters occasionally.

Good and stable company

I worked at Websense part-time

Pros

This is a strong and stable company. People are nice. They have party sometimes. The technology is good

Cons

Too many cubical. They keep growing however I saw some people come and go.

Austin Office is awesome!

I have been working at Websense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Security space is great to be in given the current events and hacks. Has a start-up feel since the headquarters move meant a whole new workforce in Austin. Also lots of opportunity since the company belongs to the parent company of Vista Equity Partners who likes to keep their talent within their 20+ software companies. Brand new space in north Austin.

Cons

This will be a constantly changing environment for the first year or two of the acquisition so if you can't roll with the changes this might not be for you.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Websense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, training, management, work-life balance, time-off policies, team activities

Cons

We need to establish a company culture

Great people, transforming company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Websense part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Websense has almost fully moved into its brand new office in North Austin. There is still some shuffling going on, but the location and facility are excellent. There is plenty of good food nearby and it is near Mopac, a major artery. The people who have been at this office the longest are still <1 year into working there so there is a lot of new blood. They like to say that it is a "20 year old startup" because there are so many fresh faces each day and the company is going through a time of renewal. The highlight of the company is its people. I truly enjoy working next to my colleagues and everyone goes out of their way to introduce themselves.

Cons

There is a frequent disconnect between departments within the office and offices within the company. Clearer, more focused communication would make Websense run much more efficiently.

Digging it!

I have been working at Websense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like an environment of change - you will love it here. If you want to sit still, hide at your cubical and not contribute - you will not. I have only been here a few months but I find it refreshing. Coming from a mjuch larger company - I feel needed (something I had lost - and missed).

Cons

This is a company just coming through a lot of transition: becoming part of Vista Equiy Partners, moving their coprorate HQ to Austin, TX and a pending product upgrade. All this can be too much for some people. And some of those people leave (and that's okay) and then there are those who stay - and make it miserable for everyone around them.

Embrace your environment of change. It is your best asset - not something to apologize for.

Don't read too much into the other reviews... Austin office is a fun and energetic place to work!

Current Employee - Technology Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Websense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Websense in Austin is a completely new company. Most of the employees here are new and with that comes a fresh and energetic attitude. The Salary is on par with the area, and I have enjoyed my time here thus far. Of course, a lot of your experience here is directly influenced by your direct management, I can tell you first hand that the internal IT staff is great.

Cons

New health care plan isn't the greatest option, but overall the benefits are about average. I definitely see a shift towards cost savings.

Good Company

I worked at Websense full-time

Pros

They have a very nice environment and are very friendly. The company spend extensive training their employees. The office is newly renovated and looks very pleasing to the eye.

Cons

The pay is lower than other places which is why they hire people with less experience. They also do not offer a lot of benefits.

Moving to Texas

I worked at Websense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are nice, and the job has potential growth.

Cons

They didn't tell me that they were moving.