Webster Financial Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Webster Financial Chairman and CEO, Webster Financial and Webster Bank James C. Smith
James C. Smith

1. An excellent company to work for.

Pros

Company is willing to provide good training. They also like to promote from within. The company is sensitive to employee needs. Overall, a friendly company to work for.

Cons

So far, I have not seen any cons to the position or with the company. It is quiet possible that as a new employee I am not accustomed to everything about the company. However, I am extremely happy.

Advice to Management

So far, I have not seen any reason to advice or provide a particular feedback. I am very new to the company, and what I see so far is very encouraging.

2. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterbury, CT

Pros

Each Branch has it's own personality Large Company with a small company feel The benefits are competitive Goals are achievable

Cons

Our clearing firm is terrible to work with (UVEST) Forced to enter time manually The pay is not great Too many spreadsheets, classes, calls, events that take away from client interaction

Advice to Management

Goals are important but forcing us to to do all the entry takes away from meeting with clients Think of another Broker/Dealer because UVEST is not cutting it.

3. Fun experience with intelligent people

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Bristol, CT
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Bristol, CT

I worked at Webster Financial as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The team I worked on was full of great people and we had a lot of fun together. The pay was very good for an intern.

Cons

Working in Bristol is not the greatest place to work. There is not much to do around there.

5. Not a bad workplace, but not great either.

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance. A good place of work if you prefer small local banking in the New England area.

Cons

Can be frustrating to work in a bank during periods of crisis. Seems like your hands can be tied behind your back at times.

Advice to Management

Always provide the importance of a job to each individual and be willing to listen to any employee.

6. Good working environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

they cared about their employees and customers

Cons

Their technology was a little behind

Advice to Management

Continue treating employees and customers with the utmost respect and will always be a winner

7. Decent Benefits, Not Great Pay

Pros

The paid time off structure and benefits are above average.

Cons

Few opportunites for advancement. Pay is in the low 25% according to Salary.com.

Advice to Management

Learn to show better appreciation for employees.

8. Great-if you are young, bilingual, with no family.

Former Employee - Customer Care Center Agent (Call Center)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Center Agent (Call Center)

Pros

Good benefits Excellent training Convenient Location Great job if you have no family at all, no physical limitations, and no responsibilities outside of work at all!

Cons

Work/Life balance completely nonexistent- I called my boss from the ER to explain what was going on with an elderly parent who was rushed to hospital by ambulance with some very frightening symptoms, and I was threatened with losing my job when I told my boss I might need a few days off. I had not been absent from work prior to this AT ALL. Preference in work shifts given to younger (under age 30) employees and those who speak Spanish- but not other languages. One manager was VERY nosy about employees' personal lives- got pretty awkward a few times with inappropriate questions and comments. I just started ignoring stuff that I felt crossed the line. Lots of pressure to do community service-no exceptions if you have physical problems that limit what you can do- no community service=note of such on your annual review. Lots of pressure to donate to United Way, donations were sometimes tracked by your manager.

Advice to Management

No Work Life balance, and not scheduling shifts fairly results in losing good employees. This was my biggest concern, if I have a family emergency I am concerned enough about that, I do not need to have my job threatened as well! Sorry, illnesses of elderly parents cannot be planned in advance! Please do not comment on or question me on things that do not affect me doing my job.

9. If you want to start at a career in banking with little experience, a great way to learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterbury, CT

Pros

They are good at selling the dream. The benefits are decent compared to other banks I've worked at.

Cons

The bank is experiencing cut backs and has sold off Commercial Lending, Insurance and has and will continue to lay off employees.

Advice to Management

I know you preach that you will not grow for the sake of growing, but you will always make sure it is the right thing to do, please don't forget that.

10. Make a move and get demoted - NOT FAIR

Current Employee - Project Manager in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Webster Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and time off are generous

Cons

No career path - after making a lateral move to get some fresh experience I had my new position re-org'd and was offered a choice of a significant salary cut or a lousy severance package. All because the organization didn't plan before taking action. But no loyalty of company to loyal employees. No training, no reimbursement for professional certifications or conferences. They exploit what their professionals bring to the company and do not help us keep our skills sets fresh.

Advice to Management

If you are going to sell the bank, then just do it. Don't continue to abuse those of us that are trying to do more with less and achieve insane goals.

11. Webster: V.O.E.

Pros

The company has given me an opportunity to work closer to home and my job hours are convenient.

Cons

They are behind the times. The website needs another major overhaul. They are not willing to listen to the employees' suggestions for improvements. They're not willing to meet the needs of the customers.

Advice to Management

Don't wait for the customers to submit your precious Voice of the Customer program. Bring back the Voice of the Employee!! We have the inside scoop of what needs to be improved and what the customers want...especially those of us who are on the front line!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed