Wedbush Securities

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Wedbush Securities President and CEO Edward Wedbush

Edward Wedbush

Corporate Experience

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsWedbush gives you a full corporate experience and allows you thrive with a healthy work / life balance that is rare at other firms. Headquarters are in DTLA, with good benefits and competitive pay. The firm was started by a family and therefore continues to function on the cornerstones of good values.

ConsPrice of parking
    Located in Downtown LA - Far commute from south Los Angeles
    Traffic - Leaving after 4pm sucks
    Senior Mgmt can be frustrating

A wonderful organization

Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsWorking at Wedbush is refreshing. Everyone is extremely friendly and seems to enjoy their careers. Management actually seems to care about employees given that a strong work/life balance is encouraged. The atmosphere is focused on productivity while at the same time keeping a light-hearted feel.

ConsIn reading through some of the other reviews, it seems as though previous complaints have been addressed. My best advice to a prospective employee would be to come in and meet the team, see the office environment and decide for yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to, and addressing, employee concerns. There seems to be a nice momentum of continual improvement.

Excellent entrepreneurial culture

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThere's more freedom here than anywhere else for me to serve my clients' needs the way I believe is best, the management structure is totally flat so it's easy to make an impact, and my colleagues are fantastic.

ConsIf you need a lot of hand-holding or if you want to be told how to manage your clients' money, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe strategic vision is excellent, though it is sometimes frustrating when we are awaiting on Ed's approval. Thankfully Eric Wedbush is stepping up to the plate to help when necessary.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Independent, conservative, financially sound

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe firm is willing to take risks, but within reason. Seeks to enhance both client and advisor experience. Has its priorities in the right place, not willing to follow fads or trends that might put the company at financial risk. Founding family still holds controlling interest, allowing for continuity and ability to control its destiny

Conssomewhat high turnover at the home office, but partly due to changes in systems and priorities

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek ways to increase the frequency and quality of internal communication, and create an open forum for feedback and new ideas

I'm embarrassed to admit I work here

analsyt (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Prosfills in a few lines on your resume that might even fool some people to think you have real investment bank experience; some departments will sponsor your FINRA licenses, i.e. series 7 but only after 1 year or so because they know it's about the only incentive to work here and are paranoid that you'll get your license and split; um...can't really think of anything else. I guess it's a place to park your butt until the economy improves. Don't believe the fake reviews here. They were obviously written by someone in HR or management to bump up the rating. This place is one star and that's being generous.

Conswow, where to start...the culture is horrid; penny pinching management (I mean this literally- google ed wedbush la times cheapest man alive); managers are disconnected from the workforce and literally are never in their office (out sick or walking around downtown LA); the ones that are in their office micro-manage causing frustrating bottlenecks for even the most mundane tasks; formal training is non-existent- one has to lean over co-worker's shoulder to learn; technology is a few generations old (DOS entries anyone?); no career ladder to speak of(every one of my co-workers left the firm for career progression). I can't think of one person that actually got a real promotion); feedback on work performance is non-existent because managers don't want to put themselves in a position where they have to give raises (i.e. one colleague received one performance review, 4% raise during his 6+ yrs. of employment); pay is waay below industry (MTA bus driver makes more than me, seriously-I'm not lying); no bonuses; no perks unless you call a one time use 20% off Sport Chalet coupon a perk; the physical work environment is literally unhealthy (carpet with duck tape was finally replaced after several decades, cubicles are right out of the 60's, rumors of bldg. air filters not being replaced on time because owner is trying to save money; I got my first sinus infection after working here 1 month); I can go on and on. Needless to say, morale is dismal creating a regressive work environment where the brightest leave the firm leaving behind the barely competent (really really high turn over). People walk down the halls and barely acknowledge each other; parking is unpaid (cheapest is $80 per mo. blocks away). Any non-delusional person would be embarrassed to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror- what do you see?

Culture/Pay varies from department to department

Associate (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt can be a comfortable working environment without a lot of stress or pressure to perform. This can lead to a healthy work/life balance without the most demanding schedule.

ConsThere is not a lot of room for growth and the pay is substandard. Some departments are dramatically underpaid in comparison to the industry standard. High turnover since people are constantly seeking better opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease compensation and benefits to attract better employees company wide.

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay for you to get your licenses.

ConsCheap leadership. Miserable work environment.

Large company with small company feel

Department Specialist (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Great corporate culture, very family oriented. People actually like each other and enjoy coming to work.
    - The company provides all or most of the necessary tool to be successful.
    - The company provides an ability to move up or laterally
    - Profit sharing :)
    - Stability - the company has a 58 year history and has never had layoffs (that says a lot for company in financial services industry)
    - The company is very profitable

Cons- Benefit and parking costs
    - Some desks and furniture can be updated
    - No casual days, business professional at all times
    - Early start time (mine is at 7 AM but some people are here by 5 AM)

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade office furniture and some equipment. Lower the benefit cost and subsidize parking. Above all, keep doing what you are doing. This is a great company with great history and bright future.

Promises Unfulfilled

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou will meet some nice people, none of which are in management.

ConsThere are too many but here are the basic:
    1) Employees are divided by the have and the have-nots
    2) Outdated equipment and software
    3) Disparity in salary

Advice to Senior ManagementI find that management does not like to accept constructive review. The environment is paranoid and employees feel the need to watch their backs, this is created by the senior and executive management. Accept responsibility for FINRA findings and stop blaming subordinates.

Awful in just about every way

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsIf you have to be in LA and work in investment banking or equity research, this is it

ConsThe firm is CHEAP, working NY trading hours while living in LA destroys your lifestyle, resources are extremely limited, the firm is second-tier at best; the offices are filthy.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the firm culture dramatically. Pay people better. Quit making excuses for poor performance year after year. Stop playing Ed Wedbush's interviews on local radio throughout the offices - it's pathetic.

Worked for Wedbush Securities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wedbush Securities reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wedbush Securities CEO Edward Wedbush. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Wedbush Securities employees.