WeddingWire

Updated November 26, 2014
4.8

WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi
Timothy Chi

Cant' imagine a better place to work

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-AMAZING company culture
    -coworkers are sharp, hardworking, and fun
    -competitive compensation if you have the right skills and prove yourself capable
    -generous perks: unlimited paid time off, free meals, team trips/events, etc.
    -thorough orientation and on-going training/support

Cons

-sales culture is dominant
    -can be difficult to get to know people in other departments

LOVE working here, but I hope to see non-sales team members get the recognition that they deserve.

Great Start in Sales

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

WeddingWire is an amazing company. Lot's of fast growth and they are the industry leaders. Also fantastic culture and fun environment.

Cons

there is a limit to how far you can excel here- it's more of a job than a careet, but the company seems to know that. Goals are not always fairly assigned, but such is the opinion in most sales roles.

Challenging, exciting, fast-paced

I worked at WeddingWire as an intern

Pros

I had a wonderful internship with WeddingWire-- they were thorough, inclusive, helped me grow in understanding of the tech industry and WeddingWire specifically. Great, valuable products and incredible people.

Cons

Climate is fast-paced, demanding, and requires you to jump on board without reservations-- you really have to put any insecurities to rest. Luckily, there's an awesome Sales Development team that is really nurturing and helpful to new employees, and can definitely help you in overcoming any challenges.

Best...Job...Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team environment so job satisfaction is both local (in my team) and company-wide. Very fair compensation and management is quick to respond when we have challenges on pay, work loads, etc.

Cons

Some of the jobs don't lead to very long career paths (but there is some good lateral opportunities for some)

Keep listening and make sure we know when you're responding to our feedback.

Start-up culture crammed into a rapidly growing industry leader

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at WeddingWire was a privilege. Knowledgeable team-members and a positive collaborative atmosphere means opportunities to learn, hone your skills and push yourself. Self-motivated personnel will not go unnoticed.

WeddingWire is also a community; there are many in-house social activities, providing time to get to know your co-workers outside the job. Employees have the benefit of unlimited vacation, being able to schedule longer stints off than is possible at many other companies.

Consideration for promotion occurs yearly and potentially quicker if you excel. Managers are open to discussion about your ideas, concerns and are genuinely concerned for your well-being.

Cons

WeddingWire has retained the volatility of a start-up and is experiencing growing pains. Certain key team members have need to assume intense amounts of responsibility as a stop-gap. This can lead to much pressure and stress for those individuals and their teams. Growth has occurred almost too quickly and the company is working hard to adjust.

Compensation is about average for people in marketing/software development. There isn't 401k matching. Though there's opportunity to grow, its also possible to get pigeon-holed if you're not assertive. There's a 'Work hard, party hard' atmosphere about the company that will appeal to some and not others.

Oct 17, 2014Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Our team is working hard to proactively manage our growth. We will be offering a 401k match starting in 2015!

Fun place, sort yourself accordingly.

Former Employee - Technical Person in Friendship Heights, Montgomery, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Person in Friendship Heights, Montgomery, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is dominated by a sales culture followed by a marketing culture followed by a tech culture. Think beer pong, video games or wine and cheese every other day.

Sales, as can be expected, is Darwinian. You don't make the numbers you're out. They do provide training. The territory assigned is sometimes total luck of the draw.

The company is open enough that you get to collaborate with different groups and learn different facets of the business. The main product being so highly visible and profitable means your work gets out in front of a large audience everyday.

Cons

Lots of Kool-Aid being ladled. Upper management are good talkers. But not so great with the walk. The focus is on squeezing revenue and making (bad) deals rather than doing the hard work of making good product. The best talent walks. If you are a good role player and don't mind being hitched to a wayward wagon, then WW is your place.

Ditch the dead weight. Regain the hunger and perspective of the early days.

Oct 17, 2014Recruiter

We feel that our culture is credited to the amazing employees that work at WeddingWire. We have fun while working hard and our hard work pays off. We strive to be the best at what we do. We want our ... More

Fun Fast Paced Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun culture, smart Executives, great benefits, fast paced. always changing/growing, really fun social culture

Cons

It can at times be hard to move up and be in a salary range that is fitting for your experience and age if you did not get hired right out of college.

Better compensation

Oct 17, 2014Recruiter

We are constantly doing market research on employee compensation to remain competitive within the marketplace! We have in place mid year and annual reviews where performance and compensation are ... More

One of DC's Best Places to Work

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

One of the coolest offices spaces in DC pair with an outsized effort on company culture, WeddingWire is not only a fun place to work, but offers a ton of opportunity for growing your career. The company is growing quickly, so they are clearly looking for self-starters that get excited about tackling new challenges and discovering new opportunities to help the business grow. The best part is that the company gets to do something very meaningful and impactful for engaged couples and small business. The wedding is the most important day of everyone's life and WeddingWire gets to help millions of people's most important day, be better. That is very cool.

Cons

Hiring lots of people quickly now so please continue to invest in infrastructure. We are tight on space (but looking forward to an expansion very soon to a new floor!)

Continue to invest in both your people and your. culture. They will continue to build upon themselves and enhance each other, creating a solid foundation for which to continue growth.

Great company with some typical growing pains, but overall very positive outlook

Former Employee - Sales in Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Sales in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, young culture so a great place to be post college, great product, leader in the industry. Exec's are pretty smart so have a great vision and outlook for where the company needs to be and how to adapt to stay at the top of the industry. Clients are generally happy and the team works hard to keep products current.

The sales team has monthly and quarterly incentives/contests as well a great base, commission, and bonus structure. You can make a lot of money if you work hard and hit your quotas. Managers work hard to keep morale up by providing great incentives and fun competitions for the team. If you are working hard you will never feel underpaid or undervalued.

Very social and there are many opportunities to get to know your co-workers with the happy hours, quarterly company-wide events, social sports leagues, and quarter-end parties that are all very fun and well-attended.

Generally, WeddingWire does a great job celebrating the victories and learning from and correcting mistakes.

Cons

The sales role provides little opportunity to grow as a professional. It is probably one of the best entry-level sales jobs out there as far as sales jobs go but there is not much growth opportunity unless you want to go into management. It is a great first job but just keep that in mind when evaluating your long term growth potential.

WeddingWire is in the stage of many start-ups where there are some people in managerial positions or leading initiatives who are somewhat under-qualified yet hold these positions due to their seniority status at the company.

The unlimited vacation policy essentially does not apply to half the company that is in sales. It is a great benefit to attract talent but most employees are not able to fully utilize this "perk." Sales reps are often nervous asking for time off and it is at the discretion of your manager. Some managers are better about time off than others which is unfortunate for those with the managers on the latter end of the spectrum.

Hire more seasoned and experienced managers and provide training and real feedback for them. Implement an actionable plan for managers who repeatedly receive complaints for unprofessional communication tactics.

Do a real evaluation of how employees feel about the unlimited PTO policy and be open to modifying this based on the feedback.

Oct 17, 2014Recruiter

Thank you for leaving us a review. Our team has structured two programs for our emerging leaders and our management staff. The programs are called Emerging Leadership Program (ELP) and Leadership ... More

Work hard, Play hard.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Work Life Balance
    - Perks
    - Financial gain potential
    - Company Culture
    - Extensive Sales Training
    - ...work with amazing people.

Cons

- Some markets have been over called-into, so it depends on which market you get to dictate your success potential.
    - You need to be able to manage stress well, there's likely to be a lot of stress coming from a number of avenues
    - Adaptable to consistent change within the company

Manage expectations. We're an amazing company, and have had a fantastic growth rate, but understand when it starts to plateau and lower expectations instead of raising the numbers. When the quotas are too high for us to be able to reach, we're not making any money, and are incredibly stressed. At this point in the company, most of the "low hanging fruit" in terms of people being ready to buy, is picked, and when there are less vendors ready to buy (usually they've been talked to multiple times), raising the quota numbers isn't helping.