Wedgwood Christian Services Reviews

CEO

1. Mobile Outreach Clinician

Current Employee - Clinician/Supervisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Clinician/Supervisor in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

I love working at Wedgwood Christian Services! The staff is incredibly supportive and easy going. You have to be organized and self-motivated to be effective (since this work is on the road, doing own scheduling, paperwork, etc). You can definitely move up pretty quickly here and there are a lot of free trainings to support your credentialing needs.

Cons

You can feel a little out of touch sometimes since you work on the road and are in-home or schools. Not a lot of office time and A LOT of driving, but this can be a pro if you are prepared for it up front and have a good supervisor.

Advice to Management

Make sure all departments are on the same page - huge frustration when you hear one thing from one department and then the opposite from another.

2. You'll Get As Much Out As You Put In

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Wedgwood Christian Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and initiative are greatly appreciated at Wedgwood! ...Naturally, not every position can have the same level of flexibility, but they never discouraged me from coming up with a new idea.

Cons

However, just as they appreciated flexibility and initiative, being a non-profit social work organization often compromised their ability to enact every good idea or suggestion that staff members might have.

3. Mobile outreach SUD therapist, who seen many red flags but ignored them until God revealed my calling, the. I resigned.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pierson, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pierson, MI

I worked at Wedgwood Christian Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can talk about God and spirituality and not be reprimanded. They also offered trainings with cost.

Cons

They did not back up their counsellors or SUD therapists

Advice to Management

You should honestly back up your mobile therapists, they are the ones with the education, trainings, and degrees, not clients who are mentally disabled with 2-3 diagnoses, and can tell lies without concern for their therapists jobs.

5. Good overall experience!

Current Employee - Youth Treatment Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Wedgwood Christian Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is very flexible in terms of scheduling.

Cons

The hourly wages are low for the nature of the job

6. Great team to work with & you truly make a difference!!

Former Employee - Youth Treatment Specialist
    Former Employee - Youth Treatment Specialist

I worked at Wedgwood Christian Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience was great. I enjoyed all of the people I worked with and for. My supervisor at Wedgwood (Michael Voss) was the best supervisor I've had in my professional experience. The spiritual aspect is a huge benefit. As a PT emloyee, I was able to pick up several shifts so my checks still felt as if I was FT. The Diversity Committee and various trainings were awesome. Job can feel very rewarding when you know you're making a difference in the lives of the youth.

Cons

Can be emotionally draining. Youth can be very negative, but this can be overcome with understanding and patience of what they've been through.

Advice to Management

I had zero issues with management. My overall experience was great. I only left the company because I moved out of town for a FT, salaried position with benefits.

7. I loved the clients, the staff and administration are rats and hide behind their Christianity

Current Employee - Youth Treatment Specialist in Kentwood, MI

I have been working at Wedgwood Christian Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Building the relationship with the clients.

Cons

The staff bullying and retaliating against you if you do not do what THEY want you to do whether ethical or not.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes...you are going to bring down your organization.

8. Very difficult work, emotionally exhausting, but if you can do it, the rewards can be significant.

Current Employee - Direct Care Social Worker in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Direct Care Social Worker in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Wedgwood Christian Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There's a lot of fantastic people who work here, and when the job is going well, you're genuinely having a lot of fun. You're developing relationships with kids who are in genuine need of healthy role models, and working with people who may become lifelong friends.

Cons

Contact work with troubled youth is always emotionally exhausting. Wedgwood is no exception. You will be attacked verbally, emotionally, perhaps physically, unless you don't ever do your job (hold kids accountable for misbehavior, setting a good example, setting solid boundaries), and if you're that kind of person, you're going to get manipulated and trampled. Compensation may be competitive, but the whole industry pays poorly.

Advice to Management

Contact staff are doing the most difficult job in your agency, and they're compensated poorly.

9. They don't always consider their residential employee important

Pros

Good Benefits for their staff.

Cons

Rarely get raises, getting to be an unsafe place to work with guidelines on controlling clients...but I'm sure that's true with all places now.

10. Super Good Super Bad

Current Employee - Youth Treatment Specialist in Kentwood, MI

Pros

You are working with Children whose lives have been shattered, kids who have been abused, and have come from some of the most horrific situations. Plus you get to go on many outings, the zoo, fredrick meijers, water parks, the ymca. It is a great job if you want a high stress baby sitting type job. There is room for growth if you want to move up in the ranks, and out of direct work with the kids. Promotion would include becoming a case worker or therapist

Cons

Super High Stress. Due to the situations many great people have been fired from the company and worse, due to the fact that you are often required to restrain the children in threatening situations. This is something that must be done to protect the children, however if the state feels like something was done inappropriately watch out. They care nothing for the caretakers, and 100% about the children. They haven't given pay raises due to number of years worked, only way to make more is work more hours or move up in ranks. Senior management is disconnected.

Advice to Management

It spoke to an advisor and said, I feel litterally like a too, like I will be used till I wear out and then another young college grad will step in. The basically acknowledged without admitting that that is simply what happens.

11. Meaningful work but poor compensation, high burnout rate, abusive clients

Current Employee - Youth Treatment Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Wedgwood Christian Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct impact on the most underprivileged and vulnerable groups of kids in the west Michigan area.

Cons

Insufficient management support, low pay, abusive environment due to the challenging nature of the clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed