Wegmans Food Markets

Updated January 29, 2015
3.8

Wegmans Food Markets Chairman and CEO Danny Wegman
Danny Wegman

Pros
  • Great for part time workers but full time benefits are apposed to be awesome (in 49 reviews)

• Standard raise schedule, scholarship available, fairly flexible scheduling (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving from part time to full time is difficult especial in areas where there is only one store (in 49 reviews)

• Its very hard to get a full time position and if your part time hours are never guaranteed (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

scholarship program, decent pay, some great employees,

Cons

can be difficult to move up, getting time off can be difficult at times,

Interesting

Current Employee - Part Time Customer Service Cashier in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Part Time Customer Service Cashier in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly people and management ok. Good training

Cons

No employee discount. Pay is not adequate for employees, as company makes good revenue.some long working employees set in their ways and gossip a lot.

Employee discount a must.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Downingtown, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Downingtown, PA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

As highschool student they work around your schedule. You make friends with your coworkers and everyone is nice that you work with. Raise twice year

Cons

No discount, hard to call out sick, sore feet and backs, rude stuck up customers and they will not let you change to other departments

Fix the call out sick problem

Misleading

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health benefits and 401K available
    Given opportunities to gain experience in mgmt level tasks (year end reviews, scheduling, payroll, etc.) which you can build your resume with.
    Scheduling is as fair as possible around the holidays which is nice.
    Scholarships available to college students.
    Employee appreciation is strong.

Cons

Hours can be long and late, especially around the holidays (as expected).
    Team Leaders, Management Trainees and Dept Managers are constantly moved from department to department and from store to store.
    You will be offered an opportunity to interview for Dept Mgr positions, with no true consideration for the position.
    When Dept. Mgrs. are not meeting goals, or not completing tasks correctly, they are moved to another department, constantly giving 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances instead of promoting another well-deserved employee.

Don't forget to give someone a chance who has put in many hours and much effort. Constantly moving employees from dept to dept and from store to store is a misleading effort to keep employees satisfied with their career paths.

I have worked at wegmans for five years, and I enjoy the culture of the store.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

The people I work with make it a lot easier to continue working here. Management is very flexible and very easy to talk to.

Cons

The job can get very boring as you do a lot of the same things everyday.

You need a lot of patience and social skills.

Current Employee - Customer Service - Prepared Foods in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service - Prepared Foods in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees really make the job fun. Even at the craziest and most busiest days we try to have fun to make the day go by but also put in hard work. You can not beat the pay and benefits either. Time and a half EVERY Sunday? I mean come on that's awesome. I have worked in many departments and prepared foods have been great.

Cons

I'm not saying all of the managers are like this, but some are completely clueless on what the part timers have to do. And when we call for help or back up they either are too busy or on lunch. Rude customers really make the job hard. We go above and beyond with every customer so that's what they are used to and we somewhat spoil them more so than other grocery stores. If we give them a decent amount of food they still want more. We just follow the job aid. Customers seem to be food critics now . When we demo they make comments such as "it could use more sauce" "my recipe is much better" you are getting free food keep the negativity to your self please.

Try and help us out more. Be more considerate on breaks. Especially to the ones with health issues such as diabetes, asthma etc. other Th

Great Company. Plenty of room for growth.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manalapan, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manalapan, NJ

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People. Benefits are great. Competitive pay. Really care about their employees.

Cons

Weekend availability is really a must. Not too many negatives. Some of the people in the management positions are not the brightest, but its like that everywhere.

Listen to your employees a little more.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Front End Cashier
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great people, great benefits!

Cons

Not always room for advancement. Schedule isn't always consistent.

Allow employees to have more consistent schedules.

I work at a military style wegmans that is modeled after the east german stasi model of management.

Current Employee - General Merchandise Manager in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Manager in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

There is quite a bit of free food, since cake is often served when the employees quit. Which is often.

Cons

The management in the PA regional stores is adversarial, degrading and prone to being politically motivated for all internal movement. They promote 'fairly' from within, but the DM is hired from outside the company. The managers seem to be modeled after the 25 year old frat boy style of managerial entitlement. The 'family' thing only works if you are in a successful store, if you have a horrible store manager, you're pretty well screwed and destined to cross your Ts and dot your Is and Cover you Arse to avoid being sucked into the hole of lateral career movement with no hope of upward mobility. Drink the kool-aid. Be a yes-man, watch and ride the TLs so they can harass the full timers, so they, in turn, can beat on the part timers (who are like excrement on the bottom of your shoe) ... The stores are run by low paid team leaders, overseen by a handful of well paid managers, who are beat on by per/non perishable managers who are ridden like thoroughbred racehorses by the store managers. Its a dysfunctional, adversarial and stupid management setup. Full timers make poverty level wages and are told how lucky they are to have a job their. The whole system is infected, from top to bottom, by entitlement, nepotism and favoritism. Walmart is a pig, Wegmans is a pig wearing pearls. Pretty, but still a pig.

Be honest, Wegmans core values are profit/shrink like any retail joint. You're just a supermarket with super marketing. Once you get inside, you see OZ for what it is. A shadow of what it claims to be. Stop telling new hires that you are an enlightened and wonderful mecca for those in retail. Those lies lead to expectations that you will not meet.

Awesome

Current Employee - Cashier in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful family company, great benefits, good work environments, opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Certain polices that are in enforced by one manager and not another manager. Change of hours in the summer for college students.

Be on point with policies, do cut hours for people that have been there for years

Wegmans Food Markets Photos