Wegmans Food Markets Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
583 reviews filtered by

1. Dead end, paltry pay, meaningless labor. Generally nice and interesting co-workers.

Former Employee - Cashier-Helping Hand in Penfield, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier-Helping Hand in Penfield, NY

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

Flexible hours, young atmosphere, shop after work.

Cons

As mentioned, the pay is meager. There is no value in the work, horizontal transfers or and raining is readily available but forget about vertical promotion.

A great company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They care about your well being by offering free health screens every year. They pay better than most other retail establishments.

Cons

In order to quality for health benefits as part timer, one would have to average 30 hours per week.

3. Team Leader

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

benefits, growth, job security, flexible scheduling, meet a lot of new people. Family oriented

Cons

extreme favoritism, more growth in store than corporate

Good play to work if you're in high school or college. Not a place to make a career

Former Employee - Deli Customer Service in Johnson City, NY
    Former Employee - Deli Customer Service in Johnson City, NY

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

Great customer service and they are flexible with crazy schedules

Cons

Pay sucks. Getting full-time hours is so hard. Plus, it's very hard to move up through the ranks. During my interview, I mentioned wanting to be management some day. I was told that was doable and would help train me to go that path. Did it happen? Not even close. After years of working very hard, I finally applied for a team leader position within my department. My application never reached HR b/c my department manager wouldn't sign off on 'letting me ' apply for it. Needing her approval to even apply is ridiculous.

Treat your employees like you treat your customers

6. Great work/life balance

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

Work/life balance, PPO benefits, which can be good if you are healthy, but not so good if you need constant medical treatment (like having toddlers during cold/flu season!), hours are good since it is a supermarket

Cons

See the benefits review in the "pros" section. Must use Wegman's pharmacy for prescription meds. This sounds great, but if you are not working that day and suddenly need a prescription filled and do not live near a Wegmans, it's not so good. Driving over 30 min. to your store to pick up a baby's antibiotic medication stinks! However, if you live near the store, then it must be wonderful!

7. Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Thorough training, strong company values, college scholarship opportunities, career advancement opportunities from within the company, health and safety awareness programs

Cons

Micromanaging by upper level management, favoritism for promotions, disconnect between store management and part-time employees

Overall doing a great job with the company and empowering their employees to progress within the company if they choose to do so. However, I believe there is a disconnect between store management and their part-time employees that needs to improve if they wish to retain their young talent in the long-term.

8. Wegmans is great place to work for both those who are just starting off.

Current Employee - Accounting - Customer Service in Depew, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting - Customer Service in Depew, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

part time schedule flexibility, employee discounts through other companies, overall friendly family atmosphere, scholarship program

Cons

customer interaction can prove to be challenging, work is very easy and can become boring after awhile, late hours on some holidays

stick to the company values that are plastered all over the store. Nobody likes to work for someone that is only in it for themselves

Used to be a good place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job security. The ability to work a set schedule. However that could change based on who your manager is and if they like you.

Cons

No accountability for people not doing there job. Management changes too often so there is no constancy in departments regarding quality and products. Everyone only cares about them self and trying to get to the top. Which is already top heavy. It's not a family oriented company anymore. The store manager doesn't even talk to the employees who work on the floor- walks right by to talk with others on their level.

People should be promoted based on their hard work and dedication, and knowledge of products and their department, not based on politics and who is friends with who. So sad this company has lost so many of its real values. Customers are even starting to notice. You can only buy your way to the top of some surveys. We will see where we really stand when the employee based one comes to light

10. Good company

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, everyone is friendly, great atsmpohere to work in

Cons

Cons are reaching your deadline on breaking down pallets and stock in a timely manner

Great management and giving team members the opportunity to move up

11. Honesty saves a business, Yes-men drown a business

Current Employee - Team Member in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

Healthcare for all part-timers who can manage to achieve an average of 30 hours per week. Employee days where there is free food in the break-room. Family atmosphere

Cons

In many stores the bulk of the workers are part-time, it's almost impossible to achieve full time and part-time hours are not guaranteed. There are never enough workers, always shifts to cover and lack of morale among employees.

Hiring more staff to properly achieve and emulate our company values. Learn more what our customers want before making changes. More communication between corporate and store managers, store managers to employees. Honesty from store managers to corporate.

Wegmans Food Markets Photos